Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for 944 NA racers

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003 | 07:44 PM
ryeske944
Instructor

Default question for 944 NA racers

Hey guys. We're putting my dad's 944 NA racecar back together after overhauling the engine and we're having some trouble figuring out what to do with the fuel delivery. It's an 83 car and we weren't able to find an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for the early cars, so we got a later model fuel rail with injectors. Should this work ok with an 85.5+ fuel pressure regulator? Just curious what other people out there have done to get an adjustable FPR onto an early NA engine. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 10-27-2003 | 05:14 PM
Joel
Instructor

It should work fine. I just did this with my 83, but I did not change the injectors. You will have to change the fuel line, which will now rest very close to the intake manifold. My car runs just fine after the change.
Old 10-27-2003 | 05:25 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I am not sure that would work. I accidentally put late injectors in an early 85 944 one time years ago, and they did not work. Car would not start. But I am not sure if you put the late rail on. But the electronics were the culprit I think. Bottom line----good question. Good guy to ask is Jim Pasha, from Excellence magazine, his email is JAPasha@aol.com, I will guarantee he will know.

Bill Seifert

944 Race Car
Old 10-27-2003 | 06:50 PM
M758
Race Director

It should work just fine.

my 944 spec car is real hodgepoge

Chassis is 84 944.
Head is 87 924S
Cam is 87 924S
Fuel injectors & rail at 87 924S
DME & AFM are 87 924S
(I have run with the 84 DME & AFM as well)
Engine block is 84 944

I run a stock Fuel Pressure Regulator since my class requires it.

Bill I am very surprised late injectors did not work. They are very simple item. They are either open or closed. No magic.
Old 10-28-2003 | 02:14 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

M758

You wouldn't be surprised if you knew my mechanical expertise. I might have done something wrong, not a huge surprise. I had a friend with a late 944 send my injectors in to be rebuilt. When he brought them over, he had two sets, his(late) and mine (early)we put them on, and accidentally put the late ones on. The car would not start. We put in the other set in (early), and the car cranked right up. We thought the electrical thingie that plugs into the top of the injector was different, because when we put the early injectors in it ran fine. But it could have been that we did something wrong, and then did it right when we put the early injectors in the second time.

Who the heck knows,

Bill

Quick Reply: question for 944 NA racers