Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Length of time for PCA Racing License paperwork?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 04:41 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Length of time for PCA Racing License paperwork?

For those folks who had a license outside PCA and then applied for a PCA Racing License, about how long did it take to get your Provisional PCA License? Did it come in the mail? Did you get it at your first event?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2016, 05:11 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Email Susan Shire at PCA if you are concerned about timing. She is in charge of this and can give you the real answer.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:25 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

I thought of that, but it's more just curiosity than a real concern and I thought someone here might have been through this. My tentative plan is to get my SCCA license with SBRS next month then rent and race Miata's at Road Atlanta in Dec., Sebring in January, and Roebling Road in February with OPM Racing then apply for my Provisional PCA Racing License.

My ultimate goal is to get my Provisional PCA Racing License in time for the race at Lime Rock in April so that's why I was wondering does it take a couple months or a couple weeks since I won't reach 6 races until mid-February and that would leave 7 weeks for a turn around if I hope to make the Lime Rock Sprint. Obviously it will take whatever it takes and so be it, but, as always, I'm just curious
Old 09-19-2016, 05:36 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

My first race of the year is usually lime rock. I usually send my renewal stuff in the first couple of weeks of January, and I get my license a few weeks before Lime Rock. I think Susan prioritizes it based on when your first race is, so that's why it comes when it does. not sure if the process is different if you're coming in with a license from another organization.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:48 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

I had my HSR license first and used that to get my PCA and scca licenses. PCA was easy compared to scca and NASA was the most difficult. I would say if you get all your paperwork together and your medical is recent, no more than three or four weeks.

Stu
Old 09-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

7 weeks is enough as Susan will prioritize based on your racing plans. The PCA Medical is the most important item to get done early.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

When you are approved for a license Susan will send an email to let you know and use in place of the paper card if needs be.....really does an amazing job
Old 09-20-2016, 11:15 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
... My tentative plan is to get my SCCA license with SBRS next month then rent and race Miata's at Road Atlanta in Dec., Sebring in January, and Roebling Road in February with OPM Racing then apply for my Provisional PCA Racing License.
No SCCA race at Roebling in Feb. They do have a Comp School though. No race in Atl in Dec. either. You need to look at SEDiv schedules:
http://www.sedivracing.org/2016_Schedule.pdf
http://www.sedivracing.org/2017_Schedule.pdf
Oh, and you don't want to do the Majors, it is set up for the best drivers to pursue the championship. Not the place for rookie/novice drivers, as there are some seriously fast drivers out there and some tight racing.

Last edited by CCA; 09-20-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

SCCA Run-Offs (Championship) are happening this week at Mid-Ohio. Spec Miata qualifiing - top 19-20 are within 1 sec.
http://www.scca.com/event_sessions/1985922-sm-qual-2
Old 09-20-2016, 01:09 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CCA
No SCCA race at Roebling in Feb. They do have a Comp School though. No race in Atl in Dec. either. You need to look at SEDiv schedules:
http://www.sedivracing.org/2016_Schedule.pdf
http://www.sedivracing.org/2017_Schedule.pdf
Oh, and you don't want to do the Majors, it is set up for the best drivers to pursue the championship. Not the place for rookie/novice drivers, as there are some seriously fast drivers out there and some tight racing.
Originally Posted by CCA
SCCA Run-Offs (Championship) are happening this week at Mid-Ohio. Spec Miata qualifiing - top 19-20 are within 1 sec.
http://www.scca.com/event_sessions/1985922-sm-qual-2
The December race is NASA - Santa's Toy Run race at Road Atlanta. I was going by the schedule posted by OPM Racing and the events they are attending.

If the Majors are not for rookies then that excludes most of the races I see listed over the winter. Am I limited to the Florida Cup at Sebring in February and the March into Spring at VIR in March? Are those races ok for rookies?

The real answers will come when I finalize my plans with Jonathan Goring, the 2015 SCCA Spec Miata champ, as he is an instructor at the LRDC and my personal coach
Old 09-20-2016, 11:24 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

SCCA has a race mid Oct at VIR. They also have a race the first weekend of Dec at Road Atlanta. Both will have good drivers, but they are not Majors.

if Susan knows your first race she will get you taken care of if paperwork is in order.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:08 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Longer than you think.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by RobT 394
SCCA has a race mid Oct at VIR. They also have a race the first weekend of Dec at Road Atlanta. Both will have good drivers, but they are not Majors.

if Susan knows your first race she will get you taken care of if paperwork is in order.
Yep, the fall regional race and spring (March) VIR races are great for you, Joe.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Length of time for PCA Racing License paperwork?