Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any SCCA racers out there? Winter races and rentals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016 | 07:11 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Default Any SCCA racers out there? Winter races and rentals?

I'll be attending the Skip Barber 3 day racing school and then the Skip Barber 2 day racing school at Thompson and then Lime Rock in October. At the end of those schools I believe I can apply for and get a racing license good with SCCA. and I'm also sure they will have all the answers at the school, but I was just wondering folks on Rennlist know.

Hence my question: What races would be available between November and next April and if there are any classes where it's actually possible to rent a race car.

The end goal is to race with PCA at Lime Rock in April, but there's no way I'm going to get licensed through PCA-CVR (my primary club) because they require a specific number of days with their club and only their club hence my going the other route allowed by PCA which is to get licensed elsewhere and have 6 races under your belt.

So . . .

Can I get 6 races in between November and March with SCCA somewhere while renting a car to do it? I'm thinking there must be Miata races right? Are there other options? What do I not know that might change my thought process?

The only other factor is I already own a SP2 car but it won't be ready to race until the end of October, but I'm assuming transporting it somewhere to race in the winter would not be as cost effective as renting race cars.

Anyways, any and all thoughts are appreciated. Like I said . . . I know I'll get all my answers at the school, but I'm just curious now.
Old 09-13-2016 | 07:21 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Flatout Motorsports Based in Massachusetts but they hit all the winter stuff on the east coast. I'm in NC but they were my first choice to take care of my Miata when I was headed to the Runoffs.

OPM is another choice who are further south.
Old 09-13-2016 | 08:22 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Your SCCA races will be in the South (SEDiv); Roebling x2, Sebring x2, VIR early March, CMP late March. Don't see anything in Dec. South West might have some things. Good chance if you do 6 Spec Miata races, you may find PCA a little boring. It and SFR are the most competitive racing out there and field good car counts.

Last edited by CCA; 09-13-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2016 | 09:01 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am also a PCA CVR member and I am not aware of their minimum track day rule at THEIR events to get signed off for a PCA Rookie License - I was signed off with less than a hand full of track days with CVR but I had prior experience. You need to talk to the Chief Instructor, who will sign you off when he feels you're ready and double check things with him.

If you still want to go the back door route into PCA, here are some suggestions of people that I have rented Miatas from. I am not sure whether they will rent cars to a Rookie Racer for actual races - just check with them:

Joe Benoit - High Performance

http://www.flatout-motorsports.com

Mark Gregory - Rosmar
Old 09-14-2016 | 09:36 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Flatout Motorsports Based in Massachusetts but they hit all the winter stuff on the east coast. I'm in NC but they were my first choice to take care of my Miata when I was headed to the Runoffs.

OPM is another choice who are further south.
Originally Posted by CCA
Your SCCA races will be in the South (SEDiv); Roebling x2, Sebring x2, VIR early March, CMP late March. Don't see anything in Dec. South West might have some things. Good chance if you do 6 Spec Miata races, you may find PCA a little boring. It and SFR are the most competitive racing out there and field good car counts.
Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I am also a PCA CVR member and I am not aware of their minimum track day rule at THEIR events to get signed off for a PCA Rookie License - I was signed off with less than a hand full of track days with CVR but I had prior experience. You need to talk to the Chief Instructor, who will sign you off when he feels you're ready and double check things with him.

If you still want to go the back door route into PCA, here are some suggestions of people that I have rented Miatas from. I am not sure whether they will rent cars to a Rookie Racer for actual races - just check with them:

Joe Benoit - High Performance

http://www.flatout-motorsports.com

Mark Gregory - Rosmar

Thanks guys! That's exactly the info for which I was looking!! I figured folks here would already know the answers

Frank,

Maybe you can offer some advice on how to proceed. Obviously I am biased in my own favor, but I like to think I am always open to honest criticism, and I don't want to rush anything if I'm not actually ready. However, I did talk to Spence, but I don't think I explained my situation all that well, and I didn't want to press the issue. From his perspective, I'm instructed Yellow and need more seat time.

The problem I'm running into is variability within PCA of instruction. Three PCA instructors ago I had a super instructor with 20+ years of racing experience. I was in green and after the first session he went inside and had me moved up to Yellow even though Dave had already said "no move ups". We spent the day working on rotating the car in the left hander with throttle and increasing my entry speed on the uphill. At the end of the day he asked if I wanted to move up to Yellow solo, but I said no because one major reason I enjoy PCA is the free instruction (especially with guys like him).

Yesterday's instructor, who does not race and has no interest in racing, said I need to work on being smoother with the brakes. He wanted me to brake earlier and softer at every corner because he said he could tell I wasn't smooth because I made his "head jerk" when I would brake. I was 2 seconds slower than normal with him as my instructor, but still the fastest Yellow by far. He had me braking at the 6 panel.

Last month I worked with Peter Krause and really got into looking at my data. He showed me that I was braking then drifting then braking when going into Big Bend and as a result my lateral G's were not constant in the turn and I was losing enormous time. With his help I got my braking down to the 3 panel with that change and a couple others I chopped almost 2 seconds off my average lap times and came to within 1 second of the average times I have recorded from the pro-drivers that have driven my car. More importantly I have data showing that my brake profiles are virtually identical to the pro's except I usually brake TOO EARLY.

So, one PCA instructor thinks I'm awesome and ready for racing now, and the next guy thinks I'm not "smooth enough" on brakes so I need practice. Meanwhile the pro-coaches I have used all unanimously agree I'm ready to race, but the fact remains I only have 18 track days in total under my belt, and I'm instructed Yellow in PCA, but, more than half my track days have been with professional instructors plus I also have 10 days planned between now and November 19th, 5 of which are a racing school where I will get licensed.

All in all I feel I will be ready next spring, but I'm not sure how to convince the folks at PCA.

Any thoughts?

Thanks as always for all the help and tips!!!!

Joe
Old 09-14-2016 | 09:53 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe - will send you a PM to give you my thoughts off line.
Old 09-14-2016 | 10:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Joe, I love you! As usual, you are thinking TOO much!

Call my friend Tom Fowler at OPM in Atlanta. He's very good, very reasonable, has good cars, great atmosphere and teammates under his tent and you will get a few seasons worth of knowledge running just a few weekends with him over the winter in the Southeast!

Also, listen to Frank. His sage advice and his willingness to share info is invaluable.
Old 09-14-2016 | 01:36 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Joe, I love you! As usual, you are thinking TOO much!

Call my friend Tom Fowler at OPM in Atlanta. He's very good, very reasonable, has good cars, great atmosphere and teammates under his tent and you will get a few seasons worth of knowledge running just a few weekends with him over the winter in the Southeast!

Also, listen to Frank. His sage advice and his willingness to share info is invaluable.

I always listen to advice well given and appreciate immensely all that I learn here on RC, but that's why I keep coming back and starting threads with what's on my mind that day because I always learn great things like the contacts you and Frank have given me for the winter!!

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Any SCCA racers out there? Winter races and rentals?