Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you correctly navigate a 90* turn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:27 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default How do you correctly navigate a 90* turn?

When driving on remote back roads, I encounter a hard 90* turn, but not in an intersection. I never feel like I nail this downshift & turn. I need to slow down a lot, enough that 2nd gear is the correct gear to power out of the turn. Yet, let's say you're approaching this turn at 55 mph. It feels too fast to shift into 2nd gear. I feel like I shift into 2nd gear in the middle of the turn, which I know is wrong. What exactly is the correct procedure? Slow in a straight line until I am in 2nd gear territory, downshift, then take the turn? If I do this, I almost feel like I am slowing down too much. I feel like I can take the turn faster than the speed needed to be in 2nd gear. Or at least, the timing is off.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:30 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I think you are hearing crickets from this forum for a couple of reasons.. 1) It depends on the corner (the better option may be just stay in third), 2) going ***** out on public road is frowned upon.

On the road, unless you are crossing into oncoming traffic, you don't have room to blend out your turn. So given that you are driving a constant radius the only thing you can do is brake until you are in range for 2nd, and shift.. If you are already turning, then you need to make sure your heal toe is perfectly matched.

If you want to learn track cornering technique, go do a DE, you will love it.. The tracks gives you the room and the freedom to push the limits.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:39 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

You are on the street. Of course you are going to be slowing down too much. You can't drive on the street like you would on the track.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

You're better off slowing enough prior to turn and getting into the gear you need to complete the turn. Shifting mid way means you're upsetting the weight and power and also taking your hand off of the wheel when it's needed most. Sacrifice entry speed for the greater good of a safe clean corner maneuver. Slow in fast out. You should be accelerating through and out of a turn.

And, as stated above, enroll in some auto cross and de events.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Gas
Brake
Heel toe Shift
Turn
Roll on Gas
Unwind wheel
Shift

:-)

Preferably on a track or autocross
Old 09-09-2016, 09:13 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

slow in, fast out. brake in straight line, don't use the transmission as a brake.

seems slow, but exit speed is king!
Old 09-09-2016, 10:30 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I've done several days of both DE and AX.

AX is just 100% in 2nd gear.
DE is 3rd and 4tf.

Neither one offered anything comparable to encountering a 90 degree turn.
It is on a very remote 1-way road that is in farm country.

It seems heel/toe is the answer.
However, I can not do that in my car.

I normally slow down enough to shift to 2nd gear, although I feel that is slowing down too much.
The car can take the turn much faster, but the tradeoff is that 3rd gear is too low RPM when you're back on the throttle.
But as Hella-Buggin' said, I guess you need to sacrifice some entry speed to be in the right gear,
I should time the turn done in 2nd and in 3rd, and compare.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

One of the gears, 2nd or third needs to be correct. You're either going to fast for second and redlining it in which case third is the proper gear. Or you're lugging third and second would be the better choice.

what speeds are we talking about here? My second goes up to around 7o mph @7k rpms. I wouldn't be in third below 60 mph @ 4k. There's some crossover there.

AX should be using 1,2 & 3. Most DE tracks for me are 2,3,4 and the front straight at T-hill I use 5th.

Instead of worrying about time, look at your RPM's and see which one keeps you in the torque curve.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:45 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,589 Posts

The suburban soccer mom line is to drift left and then abrubtly turn right while using a turn signal no more than 3 out of 10 times
Old 09-10-2016, 08:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Go wide.
Get the car slowed down by braking hard in a straight line.
Get you gears shifted down to 2nd while braking. (Heal-toe)

Lift off the brake and turn in.
Roll as much speed as you think the car can handle on street tires and pavement conditions. The more G's the better.

Kiss the apex and get on the throttle while tracking out for a speedy exit.

Check your mirror for cops and observe your surroundings for pissed off bystanders..

Quick Reply: How do you correctly navigate a 90* turn?