Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Stress of Racing- don't underestimate it. Stress is more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 03:53 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts
Default The Stress of Racing- don't underestimate it. Stress is more.

The stress of racing- whether mental, emotional, financial or physical are all real and to varying degrees, measurable.Focusing on the physical, case in point after a recent, particularly grueling race weekend I had a physical performed for insurance purposes the following Monday am. In short, I was declined after the results indicated possible kidney issues.

Background- I am 6' 170 lbs, very physically active and go to the gym 4-5x a week to lift moderate weights and do elliptical trainer for strength and endurance. I also surf, kitesurf and mountain bike. Balanced, healthy diet and body fat circa. 12%. No health issues with very good blood pressure stats, cardio etc.

But the race w/e in question (Barber, AL) was especially hot 101F with in car temps +130F. Managing hydration was critical. Lots of mental and emotional stress too over car and weather (rain) issues as well as the normal stuff to worry about including the omnipresent "why am I not faster- I should be faster". The worst part was breaking down and packing up in the heat of the day Sunday afternoon. My tech had to go and sit in the truck a/c a couple of times.

Despite re-hydrating after the Sun race and that night, by Monday am I was still down 9 lbs. from my usual morning weight. And after testing, the combined stress showed up as elevated urine specific gravity, creatinine, protein and red blood count levels (blood in urine). Insurer declined coverage pending new testing.

In retrospect I guess it was kind of dopey to schedule the testing when I did but I was leaving the country the next day and I actually felt fine- just a bit tired that morning. Insurance aside it does illustrate the physical toll racing can take. Like any stress source it needs to be acknowledged and managed.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Good wake up call for you and all of us...

Just got finished with the IMSA weekend at VIR. More than a few drivers in EMS getting IV fluids...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-30-2016, 04:22 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

We gave up racing in the summer years ago. It's miserable and not worth it if it's no longer fun. Attitude about racing results have changed as well. Used to stress about it and then realized that chasing results didn't make me happier so now we still race hard, but what ever happens happens with regard to results.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:04 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

In terms of heat I hear you but problem is in the SE June to Oct can be pretty warm- even May. That's half a year and most of the season.

At least Rd Atl cools off (somewhat) at night due to its elevation so until midday or mid-am there's some respite- not the case with Barber (or Sebring, or Homestead etc.)
Old 08-30-2016, 06:39 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

9 lbs is a LOT of weight, too much, dangerous levels of water loss in a short period of time, if your body isn't accustomed to it. You gotta get electrolytes, not just fluids, and some extra sodium and potassium. And adult beverages at night actually don't help in this regard. lol. Just as important you HAVE to eat, good carbs, and veggies.

Put a bigger sippy cup in that race car.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
9 lbs is a LOT of weight, too much, dangerous levels of water loss in a short period of time, if your body isn't accustomed to it. You gotta get electrolytes, not just fluids, and some extra sodium and potassium. And adult beverages at night actually don't help in this regard. lol. Just as important you HAVE to eat, good carbs, and veggies. Put a bigger sippy cup in that race car.
All true. Also avoid caffein in addition to alcohol.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:59 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

an ER doc at the track told me that if you're not pissing once every hour, you're not drinking enough
Old 08-30-2016, 07:00 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Dez- You were there (sort of ; ) ) so you know it was hot, but I actually felt fine- best when in the car with coolshirt and coolclava. But what goes in must come out. Its a liquids balancing act for a 40 min race and I drank enough to not have strong desire pre-race to take a leak, but not feel in anyway heat soaked or dehydrated after. Having to go when on the grid and then racing for +30 mins is not fun.

Lots of bananas and sodium and no adult bevs (or coffee) all w/e but my kidneys apparently got stressed so I do need to re-examine my intake.

What do you suggest to supplement?

"an ER doc at the track told me that if you're not pissing once every hour, you're not drinking enough"
Check.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Also, without getting too graphic, if your pee is dark yellow, drink more fluids .
Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

If you wait til the day of to start hydrating, you're already behind, quite a bit behind actually. Start the day before, on the way to the track. And yes, caffeine and alcohol are both diuretics which will dehydrate you more, but if you only have a couple of beers and alternate a beer with a bottle of water, assuming you've been keeping up all along, it won't really affect you much at all. Now, if you drink a whole bottle of whiskey ....
Old 08-30-2016, 07:38 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dehydration affects the kidneys (think long term equals kidney stones). If you lost 9 lbs something was missing for sure. Gatorade/powerade, not just water. Sugar, electrolytes and sodium all in one. All helping water/nutrient retention/replenishment. I always keep powerade zeros for track days for the electrolytes. There are other drinks but if you cram enough electrolytes and sodium your body will hold more water. You should show up 2-5 lbs bloated. But as mentioned, with all the flying you do (which also dehydrates you) you were probably already behind the 8 ball when you got there.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I've been monitoring stress levels in drivers all year. It's amazing what heart rate and body temps will tell you about what stress a person is under. This was also the topic of Ross Bentley's Speed Secrets Weekly email today.

Here is a thread where I show some of my heart rate data at Lime Rock this year. https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...e-driving.html
Old 08-30-2016, 09:09 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

All great suggestions- many of which I employ (and I only occasionally drink alcohol and never coffee). I knew the w/e was going to be hot and conciously started to hydrate earlier in the week and load up on complex carbs.

What's vexing is that even though I do most of these things and I felt good all w/e and after, the data shows it wasn't enough.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I was at the Glen for 4 days this earlier this summer. On the night of day 2 I hung out on the patio of the Harbor Hotel smoking cigars, drinking bourbon, and rehydrating with beer. After lunch the next day I packed it in and drank water for the rest of the 4 days. It was fun that night - not much fun with a helmet on the next day. I wasn't a danger to myself or anyone else, but it sure took the fun out of it.

Also made me run out of gas on track the first and only time- well not totally true as the first time wasn't my fault and it cost me a national class championship (but I'm not bitter!) - just a headache and having to buy dinner for a bunch of people at the Seneca by way of attrition! No regrets! If James Hunt could do it so can I!

Bottom line - I agree with the OP, who seems to be in much better shape than me. Heat is the real killer when you are in a race car.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Hopefully you didn't say the test was off due to the really hot weekend racing cars, can we reschedule.......but not this weekend as I have a motorcycle race and jet boat race before my skydiving practice

Too much gatorade etc can be bad too with too much sugar etc....pedialyte is a good alternative though I prefer to mix my gatorade half and half with water....it does get annoying peeing going to get in the car to feel the need to pee again.

Quick Reply: The Stress of Racing- don't underestimate it. Stress is more.