Sponsored by:

PCA Cage Specs

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 06:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jeff,
You can also use the NASA Cage regs. I believe most of their reg lifted directly from SCCA. The advantage to NASA regs is that they are avalible on-line by download from the Nasaproracing website for free. Not everyone has access to SCCA rules no wants to buy them for a what if.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:48 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually you can tie the cage to the chassis even in production classes: I have an email from Lance Weeks verifying that it is ok to tab to the A pillar. It's probably a great idea: I bought my car with a cage lightly tabbed to the door frame, and it had broken. Proof positive that there is a lot of movement between the cage and bodywork.
Brandon
Old 10-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff,
Good idea. I've been looking at the SCCA specs for the last couple of days.
M785 is right, it's a bit of a hassle to get your hands on them. A buddy lent me his SCCA GCR book to me.
I'm not sure, but I don't think the IT cage specs will allow me to penetrate the firewall, and I surely want to.
The guy doing my cage used to build desert race trucks. Now he rides mt. bikes with me. He's got a tubular cromoly frame that he built for a full blown coporate-sponsored Baja 1000 truck that the plug got pulled at the last minute. It's beautiful. Yes, we'll be using cromoly.

Brandon,
Thanks for the update. The cars pictured on VehicleCraft's websight have a lot of tying into the pillars going on.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:56 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally posted by Russ Murphy
I'm not sure, but I don't think the IT cage specs will allow me to penetrate the firewall, and I surely want to.
Good point. For my cage, I did go through the firewall and chose to ignore that portion of the SCCA rules. I figure that I mainly plan to run PCA or POC events and because the ITE class is just a regional class, I am assuming they will let me run even though my cage is a bit more extreme than they typically allow. Besides, I think SCCA typically permits ITE and GT1 to run together during regional events.

The guy doing my cage used to build desert race trucks. Now he rides mt. bikes with me. He's got a tubular cromoly frame that he built for a full blown coporate-sponsored Baja 1000 truck that the plug got pulled at the last minute. It's beautiful. Yes, we'll be using cromoly.
Excellent. Sounds like you found a very good cage builder. Do you have any idea on what he will charge you for your cage work?

Jeff
Old 10-29-2003, 02:24 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

<<<Excellent. Sounds like you found a very good cage builder. Do you have any idea on what he will charge you for your cage work?>>>

Beer.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:36 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Wow. Beer. That's a good deal.

Wish I knew the guy . . . I'll give him more beer!!!!

Quick Reply: PCA Cage Specs