Sponsored by:

Track Insurance Check-In

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Track Insurance Check-In

Last posts about track insurance and the new provider theopentrack.com were from march or so. I'm about to complete my latest 9-event policy with Lockton, and am looking for any feedback from the season, if there is any.

I did take some valuable notes in the spring and will contact a couple agents that can write "private client group" policies that include everything (house, street, umbrella, trailer, off-track on-track). Then the other two options are to get another multi-pack with Locton (gulp) which is getting increasingly expensive as parts keep bolting themselves onto my car, or theopentrack.

I'll probably kick the can down the road and get a pack that will roughly co-term with my off-track coverage, but I though it'd check in. There was a lot of positive vibe on theopentrack.com. Still positive?

cheers
-Erik
Old 08-22-2016, 05:42 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a policy with theopentrack, including Canada coverage.

So far seems to be okay, but I've not had to use it. Response to random questions are quick. I've been to 8 events so far this year. The equivalent lockton policy would be a 6-pack for what i paid with theopentrack. I know in the past, other policy holders have had issues with getting approval for repairs but it seems that might have been some early teething issues and its supposedly fixed.

So far I am happy. I paid on a chase business ink card with a intro bonus program, and then I got 4x the points for the policy b/c chase classified it as a business expense which was nice as I used it to get cash back.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:02 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

i bought a policy, thankfully I have not had to submit a claim so i can't comment on that aspect. But compared to Lockton its cheaper, you can register multiple cars and there is no need to tell them before you attend an event.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:07 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been with theopentrack since May. I have not had any claims but i expect them to be reasonable and easy to deal with if and when something bad happens.

theopentrack is a no-brainer from a cost perspective if any of the following: 1.) you do a lot of events 2.) you have multiple cars 3.) you want more than $150K in coverage.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Sorry to revive this. I've been trying to reach TheOpenTrack to answer a couple questions and get a quote. I've sent 2 emails (two weeks ago, and last week) and used their online "contact us" form last week. I called to day and left a message (no one answered). Blake Insurance or something like it is what picked up. I tried getting a listing of extensions with the lookup but it was empty.

*Edit - See below - a bunch of crossed wires, they are fine*

Last edited by Difool; 09-08-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:06 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Try emailing Ben directly,

bp@theopentrack.com or bp@blakestad.com
Old 09-08-2016, 04:02 PM
solarblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Track insurance

Use OnTrackinsurance they are the best and the owner is a Rennlister.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I found Jared's cell number on another thread and called him. He was very helpful. Also at the same time they got back to me from the on-line inquiry and for some reason my emails hadn't gotten through. They are in the middle of setting up a dedicated phone line for TheOpenTrack, so that it isn't shared with Jared's other insurance venture.

So all is good. They are still young as a business, but it sounds like they are serious about continuing to grow and improve. Off track offering coming in Q1 next year. I did ask about Club Motorsports and they said they can find a way to provide coverage until there are regular events being held.

Edit, Jarod asked I post their cell numbers for people to use:
Ben- 843-324-9599
Jerod - 843-801-2788

Last edited by Difool; 09-08-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:03 PM
IPGJames
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

TheOpenTrack's model of a single yearly premium regardless of amount of events is perfect...that is a great idea

I may open the book on investigating a different track car again
Old 09-09-2016, 12:45 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 208 Posts

Unfortunately, I had an incident at Palmer two weeks ago, and have filed a claim with OpenTrack. Body shop and mechanic have said the car is toast, but am still waiting for an adjuster to look at it. Will keep you informed as to how it goes.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Deansdream
Unfortunately, I had an incident at Palmer two weeks ago, and have filed a claim with OpenTrack. Body shop and mechanic have said the car is toast, but am still waiting for an adjuster to look at it. Will keep you informed as to how it goes.
Please do!
Sorry about the loss. Sounds like you are OK.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 105 Posts

can someone explain how one goes about figuring out how much insurance to get? What costs, other than car replacement, you take into consideration?
Old 09-10-2016, 12:28 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5
can someone explain how one goes about figuring out how much insurance to get? What costs, other than car replacement, you take into consideration?
You choose the amount of coverage based on the value of your car. The premium is based on the amount of coverage. OpenTrack coverage begins at $75K and goes up from there in $25K increments. Their policy covers you for the cost to repair your car up to the amount of coverage. They do not provide coverage for loss of value. Hope that helps.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:53 AM
IPGJames
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Deansdream

Any update on how the process has worked for you with OpenTrack ?
Old 11-01-2016, 03:03 PM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just used Lockton. Received proceeds total reimbursement plus salvage title in three weeks. Very easy to deal with. This was the first time I submitted a claim.

Quick Reply: Track Insurance Check-In