Sponsored by:

FAST cooling shirt question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 02:53 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default FAST cooling shirt question

I just had a FAST cooling system installed and tried out the shirt yesterday at Lime Rock (it was HOT and humid). The first time I tried it, when I felt the coolness suddenly come into the tubes it was AWESOME! Felt like I just jumped into a pool, made me very happy.

But later sessions it would come in waves, I would get a burst of cool and then nothing for like 5 or 10 minutes, then another burst of cool.

I can't imagine this is normal for a brand new system? Was I doing something wrong? Any other thoughts/insight?

Thanks in advance

Jeff
Old 07-29-2016, 03:12 PM
JarheadGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an on/off switch, or the dial? If the latter, you may need to dial up your cooling level (e.g., shorten the amount of time between pump cycles). Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence by any means, but the lower you have the dial setting, the greater time between pump cycles. When it's really hot out, I crank 'er as high as it'll go.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:32 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

I have a similar issue with my CoolShirt system. I think it's in the plug-in hose connectors. The pressure side hose gets cold, but the return line hose is not. If I wiggle the connectors in and out it will start pumping normal. Sometimes it at the cooler side and sometimes its at the shirt connection. It sucks when you're strapped in the car and turn it on only to find you aren't getting water flow. If the messing with the connection at the shirt doesn't do it then I have to un-strap and reach over to wiggle the line at the cooler. Would like to know WTF?
Old 07-29-2016, 04:50 PM
jlanka
Drifting

re: Dial setting, I had it cranked all the way up.

re: Wiggling the hose connectors, I'll try that next. I was thinking of playing with the entire system out of the car to see what the characteristics were in terms of the pump cycles, etc.

Thanks for the tips.

Jeff
Old 07-29-2016, 07:16 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlanka

re: Wiggling the hose connectors, I'll try that next. I was thinking of playing with the entire system out of the car to see what the characteristics were in terms of the pump cycles, etc.

Thanks for the tips.

Jeff
That's what I keep meaning to do but then forget about it until I leave for the track... I just pulled it out of the car to take home and test just now. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:58 PM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming you had added enough water to the ice. I had a similar issue on a relatively new unit not the same brand. It turned out to be a bad pump; impellers were not able to spin freely. Replaced pump and no issues since. Good luck.

Steve
Old 07-29-2016, 08:39 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got rid of the dial long ago and use a simple switch. Make sure your lines are not plugged or kinked. A kinked line will halt the flow. When my original pump died, I replaced it with a new bilge pump that pumped at twice the volume. Much nicer.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:43 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Thanks for the tips.

Jeff
When you say cranked all the way up, was it turned as far as it could go or just past the click?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:33 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Type of ice can make a difference. Chips of ice can gather an block the intake on the pump. BTDT.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:17 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by serickson
Assuming you had added enough water to the ice. I had a similar issue on a relatively new unit not the same brand. It turned out to be a bad pump; impellers were not able to spin freely. Replaced pump and no issues since. Good luck.

Steve
I was already thinking about doing this and getting a marine grade pump.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:18 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by rlm328
When you say cranked all the way up, was it turned as far as it could go or just past the click?
All the way up.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:25 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

re: Wiggling the hose connectors, I'll try that next.
Also wet the connectors (yes I stick them in my mouth) and then twist them back--n-forth to make sure they're well connected.

The amount of water is an art form ot wild add guess. Not enough and it won't flow until more ice melts usually about halfway thru a race, too much and it melts the ice way too quickly. I wish here was block ice available trackside instead of he usual cubes....
Old 07-30-2016, 02:45 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You have drilled the hole in the pump discharge per Jeremy at CoolShirt, correct? The pump will start and then lose prime mid session. The correction is the hole. Linda from Apex posted info about it on RL.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:25 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

anybody know what the OEM pump output is? as a side, i use a MOMO shirt. it uses a bladder system as opposed to the plastic tubing. i think it provides a lot more heat removal. .02
Old 07-30-2016, 03:44 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_D
anybody know what the OEM pump output is? as a side, i use a MOMO shirt. it uses a bladder system as opposed to the plastic tubing. i think it provides a lot more heat removal. .02
Different systems use different pumps, and they have switched pumps depending on when it was manufactured. Look at the pump and then search Amazon. I think most are in the 4-500 GPH range.

As an aside, I like the fact that my shirt is FIA rated fire resistant, I don't believe MOMO is. And it cools enough. Just have to remember to make ice blocks at home before I go, they last longer than cubes. And I can't wait to try out the head cooling this coming weekend.

Quick Reply: FAST cooling shirt question