Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How strong are rollcage interlocking connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How strong are rollcage interlocking connectors?

Will be installing a welded roll bar in my 930 over the next month. Would love a roll cage, but its not practical as this car is used on the road also, and I would like to be able to drive to events also.

Many places on the internet sell chrome moly interlocking joints that you can weld/splice into the tubing to make it removable.

I completely understand that this isn't allowed for racing. But, would its use be reasonable for HPDE?

The theory being that a roll cage with some of these spliced joints is better than no roll cage at all.

The goal would be to mount front cabin receptacles to the sill for the rollcage mounting, and the same on the roll bar (which will be welded in).

These components can then be installed in 10 minutes or so on the track, and taken off when done.

Reasonable?

https://www.google.com/search?q=roll...HQj0DCAQsAQINw

I see that some roll cages seem to have splices on the front bar that runs by the sun visors. usually there is an oversized pipe over the joint, and then its screwed together.

I also noted that some roll cages just mount up to the roll bar with bolts at the joint...

So, why not just make the front part of the rollcage more easily removeable?

Thoughts?

Here is an example fo the same idea on an AUDI: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...MP-Performance

Seems like the best of both worlds. Rollbars/cages usually experience compressive forces... for that these joints should be great.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I've installed two different bolt in roll bars in my Caymans. Both utilized these connections. I have a structural engineering background and believe that these are extremely strong connections. Proper welds of the components are important.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:47 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Proper orientation of the connectors will be important too. This may vary depending on which style connector you choose, since there are different kinds. Basically, make sure that the primary expected load against the connector is born by the connector and not just by the bolt(s) holding the connector in place. For example, for removable side bars, the connector should resist sideways movement of the bar toward the driver, since that is a primary function of those bars. Any decent fabricator would hopefully know this.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:47 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Porsche 996 GT3 RS (street cars) rollbars used interconnecting pieces like those and was still FIA certified.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:47 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, that's encouraging, and I plan to proceed. Awaiting delivery of my roll bar, will install and weld that in... that gives a strong base.

Then, make the front part of the rollcage as easily removable as possible...

Seems like a great DE solution, with some added protections. Done properly, I would think the front part of the cage can be track installed in 15 minutes...

Bo
Old 07-31-2016, 10:54 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Which bar maker did you go? I am also playing with the same idea. Dual purpose car. Please share your experience after the install.

997.1 C2S

Quick Reply: How strong are rollcage interlocking connectors?