Sponsored by:

Boxster/Cayman brake bias

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:31 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
OP, Were you running at Lightning yesterday and was the issue braking for turn 1?
I ran Lightning on Friday and the issue is in the braking zone before turn 1 and turn 6 (left hander)

Basically, holding the wheel straight and threshold brake from speed and the rear starts swaying side to side. Reduce pressure or just brake earlier/lighter and there is no issue.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:45 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

What are your suspension settings, has your LSD been checked recently?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:14 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
bringing up an old thread...

during this past off season, I replaced the master cylinder in my 987.2 CS with a GT3 MC and a PCCB brake booster.

All season the car has been extremely unsettled under hard braking. A few times I thought I was going to spin on the front straights at WGI or Summit Pt Main.

I was running RS29 on both axles before and after. The car did not do this at all before. I also tried DS1.11 and had the same issue.

Other changes made at the same time are GT3 front sway bar and monoball links, 2 piece LCA in front with monoball ball joints and rubber inners.

suspension is otherwise stock, non pasm

Alignment is approx -2.0 camber front and rear, caster and toe are stock.

I have received suggestions about using a less aggressive pad in the rear to compensate. Looking for some additional opinions on this as well as which pagid pad to use on the rear with RS29 on front.

Thanks
It may not be the issue, but before you jump too far down the rabbit hole, you may want to check your alignment. Could be a rear toe issue.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I ran Lightning on Friday and the issue is in the braking zone before turn 1 and turn 6 (left hander)

Basically, holding the wheel straight and threshold brake from speed and the rear starts swaying side to side. Reduce pressure or just brake earlier/lighter and there is no issue.
Over the years bumps have formed in the turn 1 brake zone. I had the same brake stability issue with my GT4 and believe it is rear bump steer. Adding rear toe helped the problem as does a good LSD. I don't notice the issue at 6 but am entering at a lower speed than 1.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:24 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

I would to thank everyone for chiming in. To answer the questions and continue the discussion;

No LSD

Stock shocks/struts at oem non pasm ride height.

I have access to a current high end hunter alignment machine and I check/adjust alignment before every event.

The settings are adjusted with the car empty, half fuel, me sitting in the driver's seat.

Alignment is currently approx -2.0 camber all 4 corners.

Caster is approx 8.0

Front toe is 0 degrees. (I just changed it this past week from the stock .04). This is the outside limit of the factory tolerance.

I want to adjust the rear toe in as I've read in other threads on this issue but am not sure how much as the other threads talk about fractions of an inch, not degrees which is what this machine shows.

I also installed RSS rear toe arms to control bump steer but could not get a straight answer on how much to shim the outer links, if at all. Right now I've got about 12mm worth of shims in there.

This problem is track independent. Any really hard straight line braking does it.

WGI, Summit point, Tbolt, Lightning.

At T-1 Lightning I'm coming in about 135 mph. At T-6 about 100 or 105 mph.

My pace is 1:21.5 avg
Old 10-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

My initial rear toe on the GT4 was -2.40 degrees. I later increased it. I tried to adjust bump on my 987 with shims. Ended up removing them. That car had a lowered ride height which may have made things worse in this regard.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:56 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

I would to thank everyone for chiming in. To answer the questions and continue the discussion;

No LSD

Stock shocks/struts at oem non pasm ride height.

I have access to a current high end hunter alignment machine and I check/adjust alignment before every event.

The settings are adjusted with the car empty, half fuel, me sitting in the driver's seat.

Alignment is currently approx -2.0 camber all 4 corners.

Caster is approx 8.0

Front toe is 0 degrees. (I just changed it this past week from the stock .04). This is the outside limit of the factory tolerance.

I want to adjust the rear toe in as I've read in other threads on this issue but am not sure how much as the other threads talk about fractions of an inch, not degrees which is what this machine shows.

I also installed RSS rear toe arms to control bump steer but could not get a straight answer on how much to shim the outer links, if at all. Right now I've got about 12mm worth of shims in there.

This problem is track independent. Any really hard straight line braking does it.

WGI, Summit point, Tbolt, Lightning.

At T-1 Lightning I'm coming in about 135 mph. At T-6 about 100 or 105 mph.

My pace is 1:21.5 avg
You need a diff, period. That's going to be 90% of your issue.

Toe control arm shim stack for rear bump strikes me as too much given oem ride height. If you haven't already done so it's best to measure bump rather than guess.

Depending on the track you may want some front toe out. Forget about factory settings.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:59 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by altonj
Lots of interesting advice re pad selection and bias. These cars can sometime benefit from a more aggressive rear pad. The OP added additional front brake torque, a more aggressive rear pad would make some sense. If you using stock calipers/rotors, personally I like my Caymans with a more aggressive rear pad. I run the opposite of what Seb suggests. I run RS29 in the front and RS14 in the rear... Same on my Boxster S.
Totally disagree.

Are we talking race car on slicks or....?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:00 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
You need a diff, period. That's going to be 90% of your issue.
If that's the case, why do you think this problem surfaced after replacing the MC

Toe control arm shim stack for rear bump strikes me as too much given oem ride height. If you haven't already done so it's best to measure bump rather than guess.
Im going to see if I can fashion up a bump steer gauge.

Depending on the track you may want some front toe out. Forget about factory settings.
Do you have some specs you can recommend?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:13 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

If that's the case, why do you think this problem surfaced after replacing the MC
Likely because you can brake more in a shorter amount of time. Did you change the booster as well?

General principal is to check your alignment (including rake) first and then problem solve from there. But no LSD is going to result in an unstable rear end under braking. Period.

Im going to see if I can fashion up a bump steer gauge.
Measure your ride height first from wheel center to fender lip. Then put car on jackstands. Take the rear wheel off and then mount a laser pointer parallel to the floor on the rotor hat. Use a flat piece of cardboard to 'record' the beam. Start at full droop and then jack up by 1/2" and make a sharpie pen dot on the laser mark. Continue to full compression. Connect the dots and voila you have a reasonable bump curve. Note your original ride height so you can see where you currently sit on the curve.

Do you have some specs you can recommend?
It is totally track dependent. For something like the Glen with long straights it's fine to run 0 toe or maybe 0.5mm toe out each side. For something technical like NJMP or PittRace you could consider as much as 2mm toe out each side.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:33 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Totally disagree.

You can disagree. DE caymans/boxsters mostly, one race boxster S. R-compounds Nitto or Hoosier. What slicks are you running?

What pad set ups are you running?

I DO agree that a LSD (not TBD) will make a large difference. Some additional rear toe *may* make a difference.

How does a MC change allow you to brake more in a shorter amount of time?

Cheers
Old 10-17-2017, 10:07 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Totally disagree.

In my case I'm still on street tires

Likely because you can brake more in a shorter amount of time. Did you change the booster as well?

General principal is to check your alignment (including rake) first and then problem solve from there. But no LSD is going to result in an unstable rear end under braking. Period.

Booster was changed to PCCB model as well. This is a 987.2 CS w PDK. Unfortunately adding a LSD is not in the budget at the moment.

Measure your ride height first from wheel center to fender lip. Then put car on jackstands. Take the rear wheel off and then mount a laser pointer parallel to the floor on the rotor hat. Use a flat piece of cardboard to 'record' the beam. Start at full droop and then jack up by 1/2" and make a sharpie pen dot on the laser mark. Continue to full compression. Connect the dots and voila you have a reasonable bump curve. Note your original ride height so you can see where you currently sit on the curve.
What do I do with the resulting bump curve?

It is totally track dependent. For something like the Glen with long straights it's fine to run 0 toe or maybe 0.5mm toe out each side. For something technical like NJMP or PittRace you could consider as much as 2mm toe out each side.
This seems like front toe settings. Do you have a suggestion for rear toe settings considering the issue at hand?

Some additional rear toe *may* make a difference.
recommendation?
Old 10-17-2017, 01:22 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

What do I do with the resulting bump curve?

This seems like front toe settings. Do you have a suggestion for rear toe settings considering the issue at hand?
1) The idea is to be on the flat[est] part of the bump curve in the functional range of droop and compression. This gives you the least dynamic toe change. This can be optimized by a combination of ride height and toe arm shims. Suggest you read Puhn's excellent book 'How to make your car handle'.

2) Rear toe-in beyond 3mm per side will help to somewhat stabilize the rear but will create more turn-in understeer. So you can end up chasing your tail to fix a problem that would be solved with an LSD (per altonj NOT a tbd).
Old 10-17-2017, 01:26 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

You can disagree. DE caymans/boxsters mostly, one race boxster S. R-compounds Nitto or Hoosier. What slicks are you running?

What pad set ups are you running?

I DO agree that a LSD (not TBD) will make a large difference. Some additional rear toe *may* make a difference.

How does a MC change allow you to brake more in a shorter amount of time?

Cheers
Toyo RS1 per class rules.

Usually RS29 front with Brembo endurance rear. If a little more rear bite is desired for rotation then RS29 all around. Have used stock pads in the rear to mitigate ABS problems at low grip tracks like Mid-O.

Any more bite in the rear provokes ice mode. Having talked to many Cayman racers I don't know anyone in GTB, F, G, I, or SPC who runs more bite in the rear. Would certainly like to hear impressions if they do.

Totally understand that you may simply like more rear bite that works with your setup, tracks, preference (rotation).

MC and booster change allow later braking with more pedal pressure. Area under the curve is likely very similar to stock setup but time/velocity change is different hence more likely to provoke unsettling the rear end.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:29 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Couple of thoughts:

The following will affect your braking:
  • You went with a MC assembly designed for a car with more rear weigh bias
  • You do not have a LSD: breaking loads will not be distributed in the rear
  • Your suspension is likely a bit wonkey - you have no idea where your bump is currently at - AND you should do front and rear. What you are adjusting for is essentially no camber change over the region of interest

What was the original problem you were trying to solve?

Ray

Quick Reply: Boxster/Cayman brake bias