Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building Braking Skills--Coaching? AX? Drills? What?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Building Braking Skills--Coaching? AX? Drills? What?

Esteemed RListers,

This past wknd I drove a new track in my SpecM, and thanks to an excellent tutorial by a friend who is very familiar with the track, between Saturday and Sunday I made enough progress to come within 12 seconds of the pro track record. Doesn't sound like much, right?

However, a year ago it would have taken me 2-3 weekends to get to this point. Whatever. I'm an incremental learner. Polar opposite of a "natural". So, for me, this is GOOD.

Something my friend observed, which I agree with, is that my braking skills are not what they should be for a driver at my level. This is holding me back.

Here's the question: How did YOU practice building your braking skills? And what worked BEST for you?

Thanks in advance,
A
Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Coaching to show you and explain to you the best practices. Then, a good coach will give you drill suggestions to practice on your own...
Old 07-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

You don't need a coach with you to get your braking skills up to snuff.

What do you feel you do wrong in your braking (or was noticed by your friend)? Do you have some video or data from a spot where you feel you are losing time?
Old 07-21-2016, 12:13 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Yes, what's the problem? Threshold braking, trail braking, brake modulation, brake release? Different exercises for different skills.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Or just use them less
Old 07-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You don't need a coach with you to get your braking skills up to snuff. What do you feel you do wrong in your braking (or was noticed by your friend)? Do you have some video or data from a spot where you feel you are losing time?
You don't NEED one..:but using one would sure shorten the learning curve...
Old 07-21-2016, 04:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

IMO, you need an objective measure of your current performance. Then, you can put into place some very targeted and focused drills while measuring (hopefully) an improvement.

Brakes, IMO, are among the most difficult control input to master, because it's SO variable based on comfort, confidence, vision and knowledge. FEW people EVER slow the car quick enough.

I can say that without achieving particular performance targets for YOUR car, and measuring those (you have the stuff to do it) to insure you're in the ballpark, you won't progress in an orderly, consistent, safe and repeatable way in developing your braking skills.

Initial and total brake pressure, as expressed in negative longitudinal acceleration, is the NUMBER ONE difference between world championship winning drivers and even talented amateurs, much less normal trackrats.

It's worth learning correctly and you've been doing it long enough so you need to get it right!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-21-2016, 05:05 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You don't NEED one..:but using one would sure shorten the learning curve...
Data with comparison to best practices will make it the shortest. He isn't trying to get the last hundreth of a second, he's trying for 12 seconds. I'm sure reading a book and comparing his data traces to a good one would get him a significant increase. Then it's about practice.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

If you say so
Old 07-21-2016, 05:22 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Data with comparison to best practices will make it the shortest. He isn't trying to get the last hundreth of a second, he's trying for 12 seconds. I'm sure reading a book and comparing his data traces to a good one would get him a significant increase. Then it's about practice.
Emmm, that's her
Old 07-21-2016, 05:41 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

We all learn differently and the OP has not answered the questions posed about her goals or what she thinks is holding her back. Is she trying to get 2, 6 or 11 seconds closer to that record? Depending on that answer may depend on what she needs to get there.

To answer the OP, once I got serious I hired a coach. It was before I had data and we talked a lot about braking. This was a very good first step for me. I now have data and since have hired a coach - once again we talk a lot about braking. But now I can see the difference charted between when he drives my car and when I do. It is definitely eye opening as even though there were many corners our lowest corner speeds were the same, it was how he got there versus me that hit home. So, I recommend both if you have the means - a coach and data. I will let you decide which comes first...

Last edited by certz; 07-21-2016 at 05:43 PM. Reason: linzman
Old 07-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by linzman
Emmm, that's her
Old 07-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This has been posted before, but here is a great article on braking http://www.optimumg.com/docs/Brake_tech_tip.pdf

If anyone needs help with the math channels for AiM, I can post them.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Matt, thanks for posting that. It really helps me to read and visualize things. And no worries, people mistake me for a dude ALL the time.

John, next Sebring will be November with Chin and again w PCA. Saturday was first time ever driving there, and by Sunday evening my best laps were 2:55 in the 1.6 l SM. SM record is 2:43. I'm aiming for 2:47 ish next round. I know I can, but my achilles heel is threshold braking. I'm looking to see if I can find an affordable (for me!) coach at my next trip (Indianapolis in August). I've got the data system all set up.

Peter, yes I really appreciate your comment about making a commitment to getting it right. I began in March 2014, just over 2 years with 60 days at 8 tracks. SwamiM said "your lack of braking skills is holding you back." I know this is true. I'm certain I could have gotten down into the :51-52 range because I could see how I was keeping up with other cars in proximity, even gaining on them --- and then in one single puff--losing it ALL in the braking zones. (That said...I do still feel a bit spiffy passing at least half my adv intermed run group, many of whom were home track drivers, some in corvettes..... Awww c'mon, it's ok to strut a teeeeeny bit among friends right?)

SBelles, I stink at threshold braking. I'm comparatively solid at modulation, smooth release, and trail braking (although there's always room for improvement) .

VR, will you be at Indy? If so, would you offer me a gentleman driver's discount special?

I'll download my data and videos this weekend so I'll take a look at that to learn more.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

As of this moment, I won't be at Indy for that event. But as with Summit Point recently, this can change at a moments notice.
And I am ALWAYS a gentleman. Well...in public, that is...

Quick Reply: Building Braking Skills--Coaching? AX? Drills? What?