Sponsored by:

Ohlins Road & Track vs Damptronics Belstein B16s

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 01:52 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Ohlins Road & Track vs Damptronics Belstein B16s

Looking to replace my front struts on my 997.1 C2S. Have PASM and use my DSC box with my own software. Loving it.
With 3k budget, would you buy B16s Damptronics and use my PASM TCP box OR
Ohlins Road $ Track set up?
I heard mixed results with Damptronics and fantastic reviews for Ohlins.

Suggestions? Car has about 60% track and 40% road (3k pet year)

-------
997.1 C2S
Old 07-07-2016, 05:27 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm wondering this myself. I currently have the B16 damptronics and they're "okay". Basically just a higher springrate version of the OEM bilsteins but with linear springs instead of progressive - feels crashy over bumps, rather than smooth and controlled imo. The valving quality isn't any better from the feel of it, so it just feels stiffer, which is great if your roads and tracks are glass smooth. I've tried it with the DSC box as well and while it's neat being able to customize it, the inherent damping quality of the shock cannot change so you're left with just having it either too bouncy or too stiff and skirting over bumps. I'm curious about the Ohlins DFV since it looks like it may be able to soak up bumps better because of the 3rd valve. Also heard that the valving quality is a bit better but until I find someone with the suspension to try out I won't know for sure. That said, the price for the Ohlins are quite low now (well below 3k), seems they're just trying to clear them out?

Another interesting difference (based on the pictures I've seen) is the B16's require a helper spring, yet the Ohlins don't and they both have similar spring rates. Perhaps that speaks to the quality of the damper and its full dynamic available range of travel?

Anyway, bottom line is I'd rather have a well setup passive system than a mediocre PASM system and that's what I feel the B16's are - mediocre.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:51 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I am very happy with my "street" set up. Running in very advanced group. No sways, no adjustable links, just LCA for front camber and DSC PASM box.
Simon drove my car at LRP and was quite surprised how easy it was to drive with very neutral handling with well worn NT01s.
I would like to keep my DSC box but don't want to drop too much $$.

May be choice for used GT3 coilovers with PASM ? Anybody has some or just fronts?

-------
997.1 C2S
Old 07-08-2016, 08:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by kisik
Looking to replace my front struts on my 997.1 C2S. Have PASM and use my DSC box with my own software. Loving it.
With 3k budget, would you buy B16s Damptronics and use my PASM TCP box OR
Ohlins Road $ Track set up?
I heard mixed results with Damptronics and fantastic reviews for Ohlins.

Suggestions? Car has about 60% track and 40% road (3k pet year)

-------
997.1 C2S
I tried Ohlins R&T in my 997.1 C2S, and we were unable to get them dialed in despite trying for several events. If you love your current setup, I'd just replace your front struts with OEM.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I've had the R&T on my car since they were released for the 997. I've had many others including pro drivers drive the car and all have said the car is extremely well setup - granted I can't drive it to that level :-) I've driven in and have driven other cars with different dampers, some much more expensive and they compare well. There is another car here with identical setup except has the TTX dampers, and you can feel a difference, it's just slightly more controlled and supple - honestly its subtle on the street, on track it does matter.

I have different spring rates on it (higher). Along with a full monoball suspension setup. And car is setup by a 911 chassis pro.

I also have KW Clubsports with custom rates on my 964, they are comparable price-wise and similar, I might give the edge to the clubsports in control, but given it's on a 964 its an apples and oranges comparison. :-)

End of the day these parts all tend to be good, a huge amount of their success is in the person setting up the SYSTEM to make it all work properly together.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:19 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

have the Ohlins R&T on my GT2, big improvement over the factory Bilstein coilovers and am very happy with them, the dampening quality is in a different league despite almost double the spring rate...largely street use, but also a quick car on track...
Old 07-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Also have the Ohlins R&T on my 997.1 GT3. It's a huge improvement over the OEM PASM suspension. This is how the GT3 should have come from the factory. The amazing thing is how well the Ohlins soak up bumps despite much stiffer springs than OEM. And this is with a full monoball suspension with no rubber bushings anywhere. I've come to the conclusion that the OEM PASM shocks are not fast enough to follow the short, sharp bumps that the Ohlins deal with easily.

Igor, I know you've test driven my car already, but you're welcome to more seat time. I'll be at Palmer with NCR in August.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:22 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

^+1, the Ohlins are a 'magic carpet' at speed...also monoball'd
You naturally can tell the spring rate increase at large elevation/low speed bumps, but the overall difference is huge...even people/friends who aren't at all 'dialed-in'/car guys/gals can tell a big difference in everyday compliance
Old 07-10-2016, 02:20 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

60% track I would opt for something other than Ohlins R&T.

Especially if you are prone to running hoosiers or the like.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:00 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

THis is a good topic because I am planning to upgrade the suspension in my Cayman GTS. B16 sounds like the obvious choice but I am intrigued by the Ohlins. Do they drive well on the street?
Old 07-11-2016, 08:16 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
THis is a good topic because I am planning to upgrade the suspension in my Cayman GTS. B16 sounds like the obvious choice but I am intrigued by the Ohlins. Do they drive well on the street?
Yes, on my GT3 the Ohlins ride much better on the street than OEM PASM in "normal" mode, even with the Ohlins adjusted on the stiff end of their range for track driving. They are quite firm without being harsh. Ride motions over bumps are much better controlled with less bouncing, particularly on bumps with sharp edges that cause PASM to be jarring.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kisik
I would like to keep my DSC box but don't want to drop too much $$.

May be choice for used GT3 coilovers with PASM ? Anybody has some or just fronts?

997.1 C2S
PM Sent
Old 07-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Ohlins R&T is in another galaxy compared to the B16 kit. For your use, go Ohlins and never look back.

Had them on my .1RS, have them on my miata track car, and if they made them, I would have them on my 987 track car.

They just began offering a kit for the 981 caymans, and a GT4 kit is therefore coming. They are easily the best performing, highest quality single adjustable monotube available.

The oil temperature needle valve which prevent shock "fade".... for example, is a perfect illustration of the quality of this product. My JRZ RS Pro's, which are way more expensive, don't even have such features....which would be hugely helpful on the Cayman, given the rear struts placement and heat concerns.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anybody is interested I'm a Ohlins Road and Track dealer and have sold a few sets to RL members in the past 8 months. PM me for prices.

I wish they made them for for my e36 M3 track car as I would have them on it.

-Jason
Old 07-11-2016, 04:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I tried Ohlins R&T in my 997.1 C2S, and we were unable to get them dialed in despite trying for several events. If you love your current setup, I'd just replace your front struts with OEM.
Given the positive experiences reported by others with the Ohlins, I should add that I found them excellent on one track and became a believer, but it was on my bumpy home track (Summit Point Main) where we were unable to get them dialed in, despite trying various spring rates and sway bar settings. I now wonder if improper alignment may have contributed to our set up difficulties.

Quick Reply: Ohlins Road & Track vs Damptronics Belstein B16s