Dominion Raceway in VA

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If someone has any AiM data from there, they can do it themselves. With GPS Lap Insert, you can set a start finish by clicking on the map and it will also give you the coordinates. This will fix the data you have and give you the info for GPS Manager.

Then go into GPS Manager and create a new track with the coordinates from above. Click the button for loading the track shape and pick the GPS file from above (C:\AIM_SPORT\RaceStudio2\DATA is default). Set up the other few parameters and you're all set.

I'm happy to walk you through it or do it for you as well.

Edit: Here is the video for GPS lap insert https://vimeo.com/104157434 and here is how to make the track in GPS Manager https://vimeo.com/45278158
Covered, Matt...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-15-2016, 12:28 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Covered, Matt...
Figured it would help here and at other tracks.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Figured it would help here and at other tracks.
Thank you!
Old 07-16-2016, 06:33 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Does anyone have the start/finish GPS coordinates for DR? I'd like to have them beforehand.
If you can wait till Monday (tracking at Summit Point this weekend) I think I can help you out. I'll look at my data (Race Render) and pull out the start/stop coordinates.

Note that they don't have an official start stripe painted down yet, I usually pick a spot near the clubhouse. I'll try to get this posted Monday evening.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:57 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
If you can wait till Monday (tracking at Summit Point this weekend) I think I can help you out. I'll look at my data (Race Render) and pull out the start/stop coordinates.

Note that they don't have an official start stripe painted down yet, I usually pick a spot near the clubhouse. I'll try to get this posted Monday evening.
Thank you, Jay!
Old 07-16-2016, 10:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jabs1542

Great! Do you have an AiM product that is giving you the data, or what generates that part? And can you send that file(s)?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:49 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Cobetto's lap.

There's some possibility you could double the first left instead of an extremely late single... But will have to try it!
Old 07-16-2016, 11:20 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I did not even know about this project. Certainly nice that it is so close to those of us in Northern Virginia. As to its current safety layout, it looks like the video should be in black in white, there should be some hay bails, and the cars should be auto unions and silver arrows.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
I did not even know about this project. Certainly nice that it is so close to those of us in Northern Virginia.

it looks like the video should be in black in white, there should be some hay bails, and the cars should be auto unions and silver arrows.
Too tight for those big cars, but softly sprung would reduce the deleterious effects of the crown and curbs...

Watchword is "work up to it."
Old 07-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,529 Likes on 2,577 Posts

Too tight for those big cars, but softly sprung would reduce the deleterious effects of the crown and curbs...

IMO, the problem is that, based on the recent videos, this track has too high of a chance of hitting things that can damage vehicles and people, coupled with drivers tending to not be very aware of the specifics of runoff areas until they actually venture into the runoff areas (due to their understandable focus on the geometry of the track and curbing, and how to reduce their lap time based on that).
Old 07-17-2016, 09:08 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Fair. I am looking forward to watching the progress. In truth, I have been away from the track now almost 10 years, which is sad. I will probably end up buying something complete for next DE season, which should be around when this thing is done, and I can easily rent or borrow a trailer to tow from Alexandria, which offers a good second close option to Summit Point from Northern Virginia.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 873 Posts

Cobetto's lap. Dominion Raceway: One Lap w/Chris Cobetto - NASA Mid Atlantic July 2016 - YouTube

There's some possibility you could double the first left instead of an extremely late single... But will have to try it!
Man oh man, that place gives me the heebie jeebies. Not ready for prime time.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:07 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Cobetto's lap. Dominion Raceway: One Lap w/Chris Cobetto - NASA Mid Atlantic July 2016 - YouTube

Thanks coach, that was helpful. I'm shooting straight between 2 and 3, never tried hugging the left side of the track. I've run about 6 different lines through the carousel (I think it's turn 6) and did well when I was on the inside but was told by others to seing wide. I haven't done a track walk but when the guy in this cars mentions the crown it explains why I liked that inside line better.

I'll post up some videos in a few minutes.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:11 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Man oh man, that place gives me the heebie jeebies. Not ready for prime time.
It isn't, it's a brand new track and I imagine it will take a year or two with experience to get all the bugs worked out. I watched the Shanadoah circuit at Summit Point go from birth to what it now, this looks to be very similar.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Great! Do you have an AiM product that is giving you the data, or what generates that part? And can you send that file(s)?
Sorry coach, I'm still data collecting on the cheap. Track Addict on an iPhone (which is what is grabbing the GPS data, so it isn't going to be super accurate) talking to an OnPoint ODB reader via Bluetooth controlling a GoPro Hero 4 running 1080p via wifi.

I'll try to post the coordinates tonight when I get some time on the home computer.

Quick Reply: Dominion Raceway in VA