Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dominion Raceway in VA

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Great article, I hope the owners at Dominion Raceway pick up on some of this. The track has great potential but they still need to put more $$$$ into it - and I suspect that's where part of the problem is, money and time.
As the article (correctly) notes, lack of knowledge is also a root cause of track safety issues. Some track owners know little or nothing about track safety (and may not realize it), and avoid formally consulting with people who do.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
As the article (correctly) notes, lack of knowledge is also a root cause of track safety issues. Some track owners know little or nothing about track safety (and may not realize it), and avoid formally consulting with people who do.
From watching the in car videos, this is what I believe the real issue is. They are not short of money. They are short of talent.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:01 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm trying to convince them to connect with ProCoach (Peter), I think there's a bit of pride of authorship there. Not even getting a 'maybe we should think about that' nod while talking.

The owners are oval track guys, they know that well and have that up and running (have had races broadcast on ESPN a couple of times). Not sure why they aren't being more active getting the road course up to SCCA/NASA/PCA credibility. I just assumed it was money. They spent enough to fix Turn 1 and added some railing on the inside (where they really needed it on both sides). We'll see...
Old 07-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone have the start/finish GPS coordinates for DR? I'd like to have them beforehand.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:43 AM
JarheadGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Does anyone have the start/finish GPS coordinates for DR? I'd like to have them beforehand.
A GPX file would be even better!
Old 07-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

I tried using Google Earth, but the pictures are too old and it's not obvious where the start/finish line is.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Do...3!4d-77.508574
Old 07-14-2016, 11:52 AM
JarheadGT3
Instructor

I tried using Google Earth, but the pictures are too old and it's not obvious where the start/finish line is.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Do...3!4d-77.508574
That was my backup plan as well...may try scaling one of the track maps onto Google Earth, then pulling a GPX trace off of that. Helps that I have imagery/geo nerds that work for me
Old 07-14-2016, 12:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by NC_Boostaholic
That was my backup plan as well...may try scaling one of the track maps onto Google Earth, then pulling a GPX trace off of that. Helps that I have imagery/geo nerds that work for me
You can set up your dash (and others can set up their Solos) and "set" the new S/F by pressing the button at the new start/finish line after you complete your outlap. It's under the menu, IIRC.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-14-2016, 12:07 PM
JarheadGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
You can set up your dash (and others can set up their Solos) and "set" the new S/F by pressing the button at the new start/finish line after you complete your outlap. It's under the menu, IIRC.
I saw this feature in Randal's MXL last weekend, but haven't poked around the MXL2 to see how mine does it. Was hoping to be all high-speed and preload mine with a GPX-derived map...but worst case I can go out and do a manual S/F during test/tune next week. I just like to be fully prepared
Old 07-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

I'd like to have it prior, as I have two systems that benefit from it.
- Motec
- Smarty Cam

I prefer to not mess with too much during the race weekend, unless it's a must.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

I'd like to have it prior, as I have two systems that benefit from it.
- Motec
- Smarty Cam

I prefer to not mess with too much during the race weekend, unless it's a must.
Well, turns out you can't "make a new track" with the device itself (like a Solo/DL can) so if someone can send me an AiM file soon (with all four individual files, including the .gpk file), I can make a track map and get in the area of start finish, then provide coordinates for the C125/185 to those who need it. Email me.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:38 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, turns out you can't "make a new track" with the device itself (like a Solo/DL can) so if someone can send me an AiM file soon (with all four individual files, including the .gpk file), I can make a track map and get in the area of start finish, then provide coordinates for the C125/185 to those who need it. Email me.
I will be there for the NASA MA Test/Tune on 7/22. If you don't have a file prior, I will shoot you an e-mail from there.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TedA
I will be there for the NASA MA Test/Tune on 7/22. If you don't have a file prior, I will shoot you an e-mail from there.
Thanks Ted - I'll be there as well.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:44 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Peter. I'm hoping someone will have what we need.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

If someone has any AiM data from there, they can do it themselves. With GPS Lap Insert, you can set a start finish by clicking on the map and it will also give you the coordinates. This will fix the data you have and give you the info for GPS Manager.

Then go into GPS Manager and create a new track with the coordinates from above. Click the button for loading the track shape and pick the GPS file from above (C:\AIM_SPORT\RaceStudio2\DATA is default). Set up the other few parameters and you're all set.

I'm happy to walk you through it or do it for you as well.

Edit: Here is the video for GPS lap insert https://vimeo.com/104157434 and here is how to make the track in GPS Manager https://vimeo.com/45278158

Quick Reply: Dominion Raceway in VA