Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting started in Karting

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 06:38 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oakland Valley Race Park is a great track and Michael Doty's Kart Racing School at OVRP is the best way to start out.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:53 AM
DGlenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to drag this topic up again, but does anybody know if there is any kart racing within a reasonable distance of Cincinnati?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Geo
Race Director

http://www.nkn.com/nkn/tracks/ohio.pdf

For those of you outside Ohio who might like to find a track.....

http://www.nkn.com/tracks.htm
Old 01-02-2004, 01:45 PM
DGlenn
Racer

Thanks Geo!
Old 01-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally posted by DGlenn
Sorry to drag this topic up again, but does anybody know if there is any kart racing within a reasonable distance of Cincinnati?

Thanks!
DG, the closest track to Cincinnati is located in Camden (near the University in Oxford). I live on the East side of Cincy and it only takes me an hour to/from the track. Camden holds many OVKA club races and even one SKUSA event per year. Plus, the best part is that it is open 7 days a week (during non race weekends) for open track time. The cost is only $10 per day. I run a 125cc shifter kart at Camden quite a bit.

The other reasonably close track is located in Circleville (just South of Columbus). This is a nice track but it is farther away and is only open during a few weekends for open track sessions (it is closed during the week and during race weekends).

Jeff
Old 01-02-2004, 04:23 PM
DGlenn
Racer

Jeff,
Thanks for the local info. I live on the northern edge of Cincy, so Camden would only be about 30-40 minutes from me. I think I'm going to have to get out there this spring and check things out. Maybe I could track you down one day that you are out there and get an intro into things.

Thanks,
David
Old 01-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Sounds good. Please send me a PM with your e-mail address and we can figure things out from there. By the way, what kind of kart do you have?

Jeff
Old 01-02-2004, 08:21 PM
DGlenn
Racer

I don't have a kart yet. I'm just very interested in potentially getting one. It seems like a great way to fill my need for speed.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:51 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff and David,

I live in Lexington, KY, and can get to Mid Ohio (the closest location for PCA road course events) in about 4 hours. I've long considered karting for extra seat time, and would like to get my 6 year old son involved in another year or two (when he's mastered Need for Speed on the Nintendo!).

I know that David Schardt, one the owners of Wheel Source in Dayton, is an avid karter, and has gotten his son involved. Jeff, do you know if rentals are available up at G&J Kartway in Camden for those wanting to dip a toe into the water? Do either of you have younger children that you're planning to kart with?

OT, my wife and I have been taking the kids to Perfect North in recent weeks. Great place to play, and only 97 miles from my house.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:37 PM
DGlenn
Racer

Anir,
My first little one is scheduled to arrive in the middle of May, so I still have a few years before I'll have a driving partner. However, it has definitely crossed my mind as a good way to enjoy some bonding time.

I would also be interested to know if C&J has rentals.

This appears to be their web site. Fairly lacking in details.

http://www.barnets.com/karting.html
Old 01-03-2004, 01:43 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congratulations, David! There's nothing like little munchkins!

I plan to call C&J next week. I might Dave for some advice, as well, on getting started.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

I have two sons, ages 11 and 5. My 11 year old has always been very cautious about any sort of "motor" sport (whether riding a bike or driving those very slow go karts at amusement parks) so I don't know how much luck I will have with him. However, my 5 year old is a natural at riding or driving anything so I look forward to getting him involved soon.

Regarding kart rentals, no, G&J kartway in Camden does not have any rental karts. Probably the best course of action would be to show up during the practice day before an OVKA club race. There are some very nice folks in the sport who would probably let your youngster take a kart for a test drive. The "baby karts" that are now being built are very cool.

The karting program available through OVKA looks like a great program. For my 5 year old son, it will be either soccer or karting during the spring / summer / fall weekends and I think he will probably choose karting!! The parents involved in the karting program are all very supportive. Whereas, in the local soccer program, I have not seen the same level of commitment to having fun and treating your competitors with respect.

Jeff
Old 01-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Jeff Lamb
...commitment to having fun and treating your competitors with respect.

Jeff
Jeff,

Thanks for the info. You hit the nail on the head. I want my 6 y.o. son (and 4 y.o. daughter, if she becomes interested later) to learn respect and discipline while having fun and competing in a family environment. Plus, it's an added bonus if our two hobbies can mesh somehow.

I plan to take your advice and attend an event this year. There are also two asphalt tracks in Kentucky that I will check into.

Hope to meet up with you and your son sometime.

Quick Reply: getting started in Karting