Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with 3-2 shift on threshold braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016 | 06:19 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I've read about engine mounts helping the 2-3 shift but hadn't seen anything the other way around, 3-2. Would semi-solid engine mounts solve this or is this an anomaly I should have checked out by my dealer (still on CPO til 12/17)?
TIA
More solid engine mounts helped with my street BMW M3 going into T3 CW at TWS. There is a hump in the track in the braking zone and I would always crunch the 4-3 downshift there if I wasn't exactly perfect. When from stock mounts to fake BMW Group Ns and problem went completely away. The Group Ns are a tad softer than poly mounts.

-Mike
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

In my PCA side-seat instructor sessions and my Skip Barber racing school (ten years ago granted) I was taught to downshift while threshold braking. I'm not new to the track (no expert either) and I've not heard that instruction to wait to downshift until easing off the brake.
SBRS was and is correct. YOU are correct.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-17-2016 | 06:20 PM
winders
Race Car

Added a couple vids to the watch list.. thanks for that.
I'll challenge you on that data analysis though. I can still be at max brake or threshold braking and be decreasing brake pressure. In fact, you physically have to decrease brake pressure as velocity decreases in order to avoid lockup (or ABS engagement). If it wasn't clear, that's exactly what I'm doing and still having issues going from 3-2.
Yes, when I say "max brake pressure", I mean max brake pressure for that speed and traction situation, not max pressure overall.
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
Hell, I go into first gear at max brake pressure. Since I trail brake, I don't come off max brake pressure until just before I start to turn in while trail braking. The trail braking/turn-in traction balancing act is far more diabolical than threshold braking, at least for me. So I want all my shifting done before I turn in which means I need to get it done while threshold braking in a straight line.
+1...
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Added a couple vids to the watch list.. thanks for that.
I'll challenge you on that data analysis though. I can still be at max brake or threshold braking and be decreasing brake pressure. In fact, you physically have to decrease brake pressure as velocity decreases in order to avoid lockup (or ABS engagement). If it wasn't clear, that's exactly what I'm doing and still having issues going from 3-2.
Point 1: it works on the street but not the track...so something in your use of it at the track is at least magnifying the issue

Point 2: we seem to have terminology confusion here...when I asked if you were at max pressure, that means exactly that: your maximum braking for that corner. If you are already fading out of brakes by the time you are trying to go to 2nd gear, you are NOT at max braking...
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I can still be at max brake or threshold braking and be decreasing brake pressure. In fact, you physically have to decrease brake pressure as velocity decreases in order to avoid lockup (or ABS engagement).
THIS is true. Purple pressure is good!
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:24 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Point 1: it works on the street but not the track...so something in your use of it at the track is at least magnifying the issue

Point 2: we seem to have terminology confusion here...when I asked if you were at max pressure, that means exactly that: your maximum braking for that corner. If you are already fading out of brakes by the time you are trying to go to 2nd gear, you are NOT at max braking...
That's why I used the term threshold braking.
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

As I said, terminology confusion. Back on page 1 I asked if you were at maximum braking and what you meant by threshold braking. Your answer prompted my comments that followed. But you didn't mean maximum and the two terms are not synonyms.

Anyway...moving on... I am still surprised it works fine on the street but totally balks on track.
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:31 PM
winders
Race Car

OMG.

Now you are just trying to sneak your way out of your mistake.

When people are threshold braking it means they are using the max brake pressure allowed for the situation...even as it changes and the actual required pressure on the pedal changes. That is "max braking".

You wrote:

Why are you downshifting while "threshhold braking"?

So no, you were not talking about "maximum pressure". Threshold braking is not a specific "pressure" on the pedal.
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:33 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

I mean threshold braking in it's literal sense. The max vehicle deceleration rate as a function of brake pedal force and vehicle velocity at a given point in time. I wasn't confused.

Edit: Right what winders said.
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Point 1: it works on the street but not the track...so something in your use of it at the track is at least magnifying the issue.
Yep. It's broke. Something's moving that shouldn't. Cable, mounts, something.
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
OMG. Now you are just trying to sneak your way out of your mistake. When people are threshold braking it means they are using the max brake pressure allowed for the situation...even as it changes and the actual pressure on the pedal changes. That is "max braking". You wrote: Why are you downshifting while "threshhold braking"? So no, you were not talking about "maximum pressure". Threshold braking is not a specific "pressure" on the pedal.
Why are you being an ***? What mistake?
Sorry Scott but when I look at data with clients and we look at max braking in a particular brake zone, it means just that: max brake pressure . For example 700 psi. That is why I asked the OP the specific question I did and also asked how he was defining threshold.

To the OP, thanks, now I understand what you meant.
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:39 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
This would be easier if it were very obvious (maybe this is obvious to some). But again, I'm no expert. So, I'll take it to the guys who are. Either way, I would never have considered the synchros before starting this thread so thanks to all for chiming in. I'll do some test drives and edit a YT video to post here this weekend (if my wife doesn't pop.. due date tomorrow). Stay tuned.
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
+1
Old 06-17-2016 | 06:45 PM
dnitake
Racer

Pretty serious and interesting side discussion here.
I have a 996 and had trouble w/ the 3-2 shift where 2nd wouldn't be ready on clutch out
as if it were in neutral. Retry would be fine. Annoying, but rare enough, not like the consistency
you describe. I switched to the 997 GT3 shifter (a bit shorter) and haven't had problems
at all. There is an alignment tool you use to center the stick so you can adjust the cables.
But I tilted the stick more towards me, and then set the cables.
I still have a 2-3 shift annoyance and have put in Turbo motor mounts and the occasional
problem occurs when powering out of a turn. Synchros take a beating on the 2nd try. Now
I suspect THAT is technique by being in too big a hurry.
Just a longshot...

Quick Reply: Trouble with 3-2 shift on threshold braking