Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, who helps me to find another second here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts
Default OK, who helps me to find another second here?

This is from yesterday, my best lap at Laguna Seca
2009 C4S (PDK) on Nitto NT-01 with DSC suspension module, otherwise stock.

Any pointers, where I could find more time?
Old 06-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Not bad!

Be more patient with throttle in 2 rather than double spiking it

Carry more speed into 3 such that you can't get to gas quite so soon...you're over slowing

Don't double spike brake in 9

Apex 11 slightly later...you're fighting the car
over the track out rumbles which hinders your launch
Old 06-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

I concur with what VR suggests.

What is a DSC suspension module?

Car looks like it has big push on entry to some corners. Seems like it sometimes lead to hesitation to get to/stay at WOT.

Do you have a legit benchmark for your car on that track?

One of the age-old methods for learning ways to go faster is to compete. Was that lap in a time trial?
Old 06-12-2016, 12:14 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Hard to say from watching a video - but in general it seems like you are turning in too abruptly for the car and washing out the front end. It also looks like you are really heavily into the ABS at turn in which is causing the front to wash out. Slower hands at turn in and less reliance on ABS will ultimately make you faster.

As far as line:
You are giving up a ton of time in Rainey (t9 - after corkscrew). No need to pull the car all the way track right after the corkscrew to enter Rainey curve. The camber of the track and the fact that 9 opens up towards the exit make a shallower entry much faster. After the cork screw let the car track out naturally to the left and enter 9 maybe a car width or so off the left side of the track. If you walk the course you will see that the track is highly banked towards the inside and once you get track right you are falling off the edge of a hill.

I definitely have more to learn at Laguna as well - but check the video for what I am talking about in 9.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Way, way OT, but you shouldn't post anymore with that screen name. Your post count matches the Cup in your avatar. Bored, waiting for F1 race.

Originally Posted by claykos
You are giving up a ton of time in Rainey (t9 - after corkscrew). No need to pull the car all the way track right after the corkscrew to enter Rainey curve. The camber of the track and the fact that 9 opens up towards the exit make a shallower entry much faster. After the cork screw let the car track out naturally to the left and enter 9 maybe a car width or so off the left side of the track. If you walk the course you will see that the track is highly banked towards the inside and once you get track right you are falling off the edge of a hill.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Agree with Clay regarding 9
Old 06-12-2016, 12:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

My collection of data supports right of center entry into T9, no need to go full track right, but the shallow entry requires earlier throttle moderation (or LFB) and additional steering input precisely when the road begins to drop MUCH more severely.

Have done too many forensics of people that go off at the exit of T9 by driving around the inside early and NOT waiting to finish pointing the car before applying too much throttle, the corrective result being the "double punch" that VR talks about.

The area under the pedestrian bridge after T8A is a useful acceleration zone, but most folks need to go much further than they do before the really begin to turn left into T9.

Laguna Seca is a really easy track to loose a bunch of time. T2, T9 and T11 are prime opportunities for improvement in this and many other cases.

A great analysis by my SBRS Instructor colleague Grant Ryley explains this section well.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Laguna Seca Turn 9 SBRS.pdf (1.07 MB, 110 views)
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-12-2016, 02:00 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd say biggest time saves are

T2 - patience out and commit to full throttle before the Apex

T3 - turn in a bit faster

T6 is the biggest and also has the largest punishment for failure You could go in 10mph faster which translates all the way up the hill - that's a full second there
Old 06-12-2016, 02:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I'd say biggest time saves are

T3 - turn in a bit faster
More amplification with my experience across a broad range of drivers, cars and lap times (1:20 to 2:00).

Turn 3 is where folks are often plagued with understeer going in, and oversteer coming out.

Ninety percent of the entry understeer (according to my TB of data and video collected) is due to people braking early, releasing early, having the nose come up and the weight come off the front tires, then adding power thus sealing the understeer deal.

Make sure you "leave enough brakes" to quicken the direction change at turn-in, because if you're waiting on that, you're losing time in T3 and ALL the way down to T4...
Old 06-12-2016, 02:36 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
My collection of data supports right of center entry into T9, no need to go full track right, but the shallow entry requires earlier throttle moderation (or LFB) and additional steering input precisely when the road begins to drop MUCH more severely.
Concur.

Then again, I like it when people take that far right line. It turns Rainey Curve into a nice passing zone!
Old 06-12-2016, 02:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
Concur.

Then again, I like it when people take that far right line. It turns Rainey Curve into a nice passing zone!
Easy when they don't FULLY commit to the throttle and GET there first!
Old 06-12-2016, 04:08 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great article Peter.....

Another highly critical aspect of getting Laguna right is car setup. The OP is on Nittos which is going to limit his car reaching it's potential, but there are many other factors in play on that course and they will change throughout the day. Laguna is known for it's smooth surface which can lead you to believe it has excellent grip. It does not especially in the afternoons after multiple cars have gone off and brought sand back onto the surface. End result is many cars will understeer here more than at other tracks and drivers then compensate by softening up the front (bar or dampers) or stiffening the rear. My pro coach, also a long time Skippy instructor, told me the key to fast laps at Laguna is the high speed intermediate turns T4, 5, & 6 and of course getting out of 11. Setting the car up to control oversteer on exit of those turns builds confidence and allow you to go throttle up sooner. You just have to be able to offset entry understeer which is an art form and one I'm still learning....
Old 06-12-2016, 06:55 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love that AIM data set up. What do I have to purchase to have that and how difficult is it to set up?
Thanks.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by johnwb
Love that AIM data set up. What do I have to purchase to have that and how difficult is it to set up?
Thanks.
For your car, pretty easy.

1 (one) AiM Sportline Solo DL with CAN/power cable connection
1 (one) SmartyCam HD Rev2.1 84 degree FOV camera
2 (two) mounts, one for the Solo DL inside the windshield with a suction cup (serious suction cup) and one (generally) V-Mount (to harness bar or roll bar) for the camera

$1698 plus I throw in the $80 worth of mounts and a 32 GB Class 10 card, set it up for your car with the video background and make it as plug and play as possible.

You will, for your car, need to connect to two wires near the fuse box for the car information (RPM, throttle position, brake switch on/off) but the video is completely automated.

No batteries to charge, no software to navigate, pull the SD card from the camera and play it on an Apple or Windoze computer thirty seconds after you get out of the car.

If you (or a facile instructor or coach) want to dig deeper, there is a massive amount of information available that can very quickly be harvested for low-hanging fruit.

It's amazing technology in great packaging (two devices, self contained, no larger than a cigarette pack each) that has revolutionized how people learn on-track.

I have sold more than four hundred of this combination over the last several years (almost half to people here on RL) and it's tried and tested. Let me know if I can help.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:51 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Peter.
I'll put this on my wish list.

OP- sorry for the hijack

Quick Reply: OK, who helps me to find another second here?