Trailer Toad opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 02:59 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Toad opinions?

Hi Guys,

I have an F150 Super Crew Raptor model and want to upgrade from an open trailex to an enclosed ATC, probably in the 28' variety but maybe 32' depending on a few things.

I'll have a corvette in there (3500lbs) and some other gear, but don't plan to go too crazy. The raptor has a strong motor, decent frame, is much heavier than a standard F150, and has solid brakes. Not to the degree of a 1 ton truck, but definitely capable of pulling and stopping 8000-9000lbs. It falls way short in tongue weight capability, so I'm at a bit of a cross roads.

I'd rather not upgrade to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck (but will if it is the only good solution). I'm also looking at a Trailer Toad, which essentially carries that vast majority of the tongue weight from the trailer.

Other F150's with the same drive train are rated to tow 11,300lbs, while my Raptor is only rated to tow 8000 weight distributed. I'll probably come in around 9000lbs fully loaded on the ATC, but negligible tongue weight.

I've found a few posts online about people using a Trailer Toad with an enclosed trailer and a half ton truck and everyone has seemed pleased with the results. I'm wondering if this will let me keep the Raptor and still tow safely.

Less of a money issue, more of I only do this 7-10 times per year, and the 1 ton would be my daily driver, and I would prefer the Raptor.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

I looked into a Trailer Toad a couple of years ago and it was made very clear to me by them that it would allow me to run tongue weights in excess of 1000 LBS, however it would not allow be to exceed the towing capacity of my vehicle. I have a friend towing an open trailer with a Raptor and he always complains about the soft suspension in comparison to his Cayenne. He actually prefers to tow with the Cayenne.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:06 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

http://www.trailertoad.com/

interesting
Old 06-11-2016, 06:32 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I looked into a Trailer Toad a couple of years ago and it was made very clear to me by them that it would allow me to run tongue weights in excess of 1000 LBS, however it would not allow be to exceed the towing capacity of my vehicle. I have a friend towing an open trailer with a Raptor and he always complains about the soft suspension in comparison to his Cayenne. He actually prefers to tow with the Cayenne.
Yeah the soft springs and 3-zone rear shocks make it a difficult tow. From what I can tell, the only reason the tow rating is lower on the raptor is the spring rates. Same axles and stuff as other higher rates F150s.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:53 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
Yeah the soft springs and 3-zone rear shocks make it a difficult tow. From what I can tell, the only reason the tow rating is lower on the raptor is the spring rates. Same axles and stuff as other higher rates F150s.
And all the extra weight.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

This looks like a really interesting idea - but I can't help but think that if this were such a great idea you would see more of them. I've never heard of this before.

How do you back up with this?

It is interesting.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:56 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This looks like a really interesting idea - but I can't help but think that if this were such a great idea you would see more of them. I've never heard of this before.

How do you back up with this?

It is interesting.
There are back up pins that lock the trailer toad to keep it straight. I have yet to find a bad review but I agree it is not too common. They are a bit spendy if you don't need them but seems like they can help.

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2016, 10:15 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

24', E rated tires truck and trailer, air bags on the truck. Go to truck stop and weigh the total. Don't exceed the ratings on the door jamb. Equalizer hitch. Don't speed.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

There are back up pins that lock the trailer toad to keep it straight. I have yet to find a bad review but I agree it is not too common. They are a bit spendy if you don't need them but seems like they can help.
I agree - have not seen a bad review. Interesting.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:28 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Time for me to point out that, with trailers, it's not how much you can pull, it's how much you can stop.
Pretty cool device, though, and I love the name.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:10 AM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Time for me to point out that, with trailers, it's not how much you can pull, it's how much you can stop.
Pretty cool device, though, and I love the name.
I appreciate these types of comments and they pop up in every trailer thread, but the brakes on every F150 SuperCrew are the same regardless of tow rating, and several F150 tow ratings exceed the limits I'm looking for by a decent safety margin.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

I appreciate these types of comments and they pop up in every trailer thread, but the brakes on every F150 SuperCrew are the same regardless of tow rating, and several F150 tow ratings exceed the limits I'm looking for by a decent safety margin.
The brakes might be the same but are you stopping the same weight? Isn't the Raptor heavier than the other trucks?
Old 06-12-2016, 02:37 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Stopping the rig is about more than brakes. Wheelbase is part of the stability calculation, for example.
Not trying to make your decision more difficult!
Old 06-13-2016, 12:22 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Trailer toads are more common amongst the RV crowd for towing due to the longer rear overhangs on RVs and generally weaker rear frame structures that some of them have. Toads are a cool idea, though I wouldn't love the extra overall rig length, and it would make backing up more of a pain.

Quick Reply: Trailer Toad opinions?