Sponsored by:

Pic is worth????

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Pic is worth????

10,000 words? Escape door on my new Quest/ATC/Becker trailer, with a removable fender liner...this trailer is so well made, clearly by hand and made to order too. They don't store these on a lot.

Re. the Escape Door, why I could bulk up to 300 Lbs and still get out of the car..check out the cute little step between the manly aluminum 16" wheels (235/80/16), whose axels happen to be spread about 12" further apart than a standard trailer. Big tow over the weekend...I'll report back.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Martin S.; 06-14-2016 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:27 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

That access is better than my Sooner* open trailer.

-Mike

*Don't know what a Sooner open AL trailer looks like? Do you know what a Featherlight open AL trailer looks like? If so, it looks *a lot* like the Sooner.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

That's very clever. I don't think I've ever seen a trailer with a side door like that. Cool.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

that's really slick
Old 06-11-2016, 01:47 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What does the fender liner attach to the side door that opens?
Old 06-14-2016, 01:03 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PhilT3
What does the fender liner attach to the side door that opens?
The fender liner slides out, great fit and it is in and out in a minute.

Follow up....Just back from about a 500 mile round trip tow with the new trailer, Paso Robles to Van Nuys (Lance Aspesi's shop), to Rancho Cucamonga (Next to Fontana, location of AutoClub California Speedway.) and back to Paso Robles.

1. Getting in and out of the car in the while the car is in the trailer, a breeze with the Escape Door,
2. Towing: The rear axels are spaced 12" further apart than the traditional two (2) axel trailer. This leads to added stability of the trailer when towing. My outbound trip was across the Mojave Desert to avoid LA traffic...State Highway 138, mostly a two (2) lane road, with large big rigs coming the opposite way...as they passed, didn't seem to rock the trailer in any noticeable way. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think I am going to need a weight distribution hitch or an anti-sway device. I did use a tongue weight scale to balance the load.
3. Fit and Finish: Impecable...this trailer reeks of quality,
4. Exterior lighting, all LEDs, intense. Interior lighting, more than adequate,
5. Service from Scott at Becker in Las Vegas...very helpful guy.
6. CAD/CAM drawings of the trailer accompany the official quote.
Dislikes:
None....
Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Martin S.
State Highway 138, mostly a two (2) lane road, with large big rigs coming the opposite way...as they passed, didn't seem to rock the trailer in any noticeable way. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think I am going to need a weight distribution hitch or an anti-sway device. I did use a tongue weight scale to balance the load.
Still a relative newbie with a trailer here. I was concerned about getting a good tow vehicle because of trailer sway, long wheel base and all that. I've found when towing my open trailer, the only time I really feel tendency to sway is when I'm being passed by trucks or other large vehicles in the same direction. Opposite direction never seems to bother it.

Do you recall how yours was? May be worth considering in the load distribution hitch decision calculus.

-Mike
Old 06-14-2016, 10:20 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Martin I have the same trailer and feel the same way about it. I'm now faced with wanting to install things on the walls (strap hanger, utility rack, gas can rack etc.) and am looking for a method to determine where the vertical beams are located so I can screw/bolt into them. Have you given this any thought?

I almost regret having the nice wall coverings, it would be a lot easier to just have everything exposed. But it certainly does look nice.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
Still a relative newbie with a trailer here. I was concerned about getting a good tow vehicle because of trailer sway, long wheel base and all that. I've found when towing my open trailer, the only time I really feel tendency to sway is when I'm being passed by trucks or other large vehicles in the same direction. Opposite direction never seems to bother it.

Do you recall how yours was? May be worth considering in the load distribution hitch decision calculus.

-Mike
Good point...coming back, I came not on California's northbound Interstate 5, over the "Grapevine", and onward north, I had many a truck and trailer pass me, albeit slowly. I had the cruise control on 55, and they were running about 62..as they edged past me there was no noticeable wind effect. Perhaps if the speed delta had been more, I would have felt the need for a weight distribution hitch. And if it turns out I need one...I'll get one. They do provide peace of mind.

The load distribution hitch serves to shift more weight to the rear trailer axel, so I have read. I am certain this sort of hitch is a good idea....however with the spread axel feature on the ATC trailer, the axels are 12" further apart than standard, it may not be needed...at least it didn't feel that way to me.

I tow with an extended cab Tundra 4.7. It has a decent wheelbase for towing...and the load I tow, about 6,100 lbs is under the tow limits. And finally, that Escape Door feature is priceless. It's and $1,800 option, and worth every penny.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
Martin I have the same trailer and feel the same way about it. I'm now faced with wanting to install things on the walls (strap hanger, utility rack, gas can rack etc.) and am looking for a method to determine where the vertical beams are located so I can screw/bolt into them. Have you given this any thought?

I almost regret having the nice wall coverings, it would be a lot easier to just have everything exposed. But it certainly does look nice.

Jeff
I have been having similar thoughts. Wouldn't it be nice to have some Pit Pal products for storage, but those walls and door covering, so pristine! Not too Pit Pal products many in my case as I want the loaded trailer weight to be as light as possible. As mentioned, I tow with a 2006 Tundra, not a 2500 Diesel. The weight of the loaded trailer is important to me. My ATC quote came with comprehensive CAD/CAM blueprints. If you didn't get a set, request them. If somehow they don't/won't respond, PM me and I'll send you the prints I received. With the prints you should be able to determine where to attach a storage item.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:35 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Martin S.
The load distribution hitch serves to shift more weight to the rear trailer axel, so I have read. I am certain this sort of hitch is a good idea....however with the spread axel feature on the ATC trailer, the axels are 12" further apart than standard, it may not be needed...at least it didn't feel that way to me.
I've always thought the load distribution hitches provided sway control as part of the package. eTrailer has a decent info page.

I do agree, the spread axle spacing should help with both static and dynamic tongue weight.

-Mike
Old 06-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile

I've always thought the load distribution hitches provided sway control as part of the package. eTrailer has a decent info page.

I do agree, the spread axle spacing should help with both static and dynamic tongue weight.

-Mike
The above URL is excellent reading. Here is a key point I gathered, the fine print, so to speak, "Note: To use a weight-distributing system, your trailer hitch must be rated for use with weight distribution. Check the weight rating label on your hitch to make sure that a weight-distributing capacity is listed. If no rating is listed, a weight distribution system cannot be used."

Thanks to Mike for a great reference piece.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you were done racing with POC?? Congrats on a very nice trailer.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:23 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Still a relative newbie with a trailer here.
What vehicle will you be towing with?

I was at a recent PCA event and saw a couple of guys towing their ATC 24's with Cayennes with no sway control systems. They said they had no issues towing with that setup but I would imagine the tongue weight would be fairly close to the limit.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:33 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by skxf430
What vehicle will you be towing with?

I was at a recent PCA event and saw a couple of guys towing their ATC 24's with Cayennes with no sway control systems. They said they had no issues towing with that setup but I would imagine the tongue weight would be fairly close to the limit.
I'm using a Ford Expedition EL, but I've got an open trailer. I was only commenting that I felt the max tendency to sway when being passed by large vehicles going the same direction. I see a lot of weight distribution hitches around the paddock, can't say I've noticed a lot of sway control - and there are several guys who tow with Cayennes.

So far I'm only partially down the slippery slope wrt trailers.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Pic is worth????