Sponsored by:

Time to "Eat Some Crow"...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 01:39 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Time to "Eat Some Crow"...

I had a 20' 2003 Haulmark enclosed. I used it for over 10+ years, and decided to go the open trailer route when a Featherlite open trailer fell into my grasp at a very attractive price. Had that for a short time and then went for a Trailex open..it was 300 Lbs. lighter than the Featherlite (Of course it was, it didn't have a fill deck as the Featherlite does.)

I had fully rationalized that the open was just as good as the enclosed, WRONG. A few of my fellow Rennlisters told me I might be way off base going from enclosed to open...they were correct.

Sold the Trailex and ordered a 2016 Quest Aluminum Trailer:
8.5'W x 20'L x 6.5'H, (2) 3500# Torsion Axle(s).

It took several months to build it and it was well worth the wait. Today, 6/6/16, just picked up a my brand new ATC at the Becker Las Vegas office. It was built to order...I'll have some pics up tomorrow. I also had the opportunity to tow a load with it today...brought a pal's Spec Boxster back home from LA to Paso Robles a 4 hour tow. Towing in fairly stiff winds over the Interstate 5 "Grapevine", the trailer was rock solid. The trailer axels are spread about 12" further apart than a standard trailer. Perhaps I won't need a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway device.

Loading it was a breeze, with the DOOR - ESCAPE - PREMIUM - 88" X 66" - TOP HINGE - FLUSH LOCK - REMOVABLE WHEEL WELL ALUMINUM STEP
ONE PIECE REMOVABLE INTERIOR WHEEL WELL EXTERIOR FENDERETTES INTEGRATED INTO DOOR. This Escape Door is flipped up, the fender liner lifted out, and you can open the car's driver door up wide. If you have a full cage in the car this features makes getting in and out of the car so easy. No need to winch the car in and out of the trailer.

Back in the enclosed fold, and NOT leaving.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:14 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 746 Likes on 381 Posts

I was probably the most vocal. I was on your case about the rationalizing and didn't buy it for a minute. I truly believe you wanted the open trailer setup to work perfectly for you. I just couldn't see how it could.

I am not you. The open trailer might have worked fine for you and I should have been more open to that. I should have been less vocal and I apologize for that. But I am glad to see you back with an enclosed trailer!

Have fun!!
Old 06-07-2016, 02:18 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Once you go enclosed you're done. I see it time and again with my track buddies. And why I stick with open. For me it works and is simple.

Sounds like,a nice setup
Old 06-07-2016, 09:33 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome back to reality.

Security is also a plus with an enclosed.

Atc a great alum trailer.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats Martin. Maybe use it to come to Sebring next year for 48 Hours, and bring oh maybe 50-60 cases of wine
Old 06-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Congrats Martin. Maybe use it to come to Sebring next year for 48 Hours, and bring oh maybe 50-60 cases of wine
Now THAT is an even better plan than me buying a new trailer. Why that's only 600 to 720 bottles, a pittance

I tried the open route, Lord knows I tried, BUT, I simply bring too much "stuff" to the track. I fill three storage boxes, + one set of tires at a minimum + the jack and jack stands.

I went through the three (3) boxes and simply cannot identify what I could leave at home. Here is the good news, when me or my racing buddies, needs race pads, fluids, bleeder bottle, and most of the stuff that one might possibly need, it always seems to be in one of the boxes.

Open works for some, it just doesn't work for me. You guys have been great on this topic. I'll het some pics up today...and focus in on the detail work that goes into these ATC trailers.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:21 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Once you go enclosed you're done. I see it time and again with my track buddies. And why I stick with open. For me it works and is simple.

Sounds like,a nice setup
Went from open to enclosed cause got race car. Sold race car went back open and can't see myself ever going enclosed again.

Peter
Old 06-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Went from open to enclosed cause got race car. Sold race car went back open and can't see myself ever going enclosed again.

Peter
That was a good decision for you...now that I am back in the enclosed fold, I really appreciates the benefits of an enclosed trailer:
1. Privacy when towing or parked away from home,
2. Weather protection, one of the first times I took my first open trailers to the track, it rained. Of course I found myself hanging out in my friends enclosed trailer.
3. Protection for the car from road debris,
4. Less time to get prepped for a track day. It's a matter of hooking up the trailer, reviewing my check list (3 pages long), down the driveway and gone.

But as with most things, there is something for everybody, based on their needs and budget. See some of you at the rack.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:34 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

In addition to all the obvious advantages I love the home away from home feeling of a nicely appointed trailer. I bought a $50 microwave, cheap stereo, and good generator. Makes it really nice in between runs.

That being said, I miss my open trailer for the short runs to the shop. Also miss the attention ***** factor of everyone seeing my car. I guess I wasn't hugged enough as a child.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:31 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

You made another mistake. Too small with 20' and 3500# axles. Should have gone at least 24' with 5200# axles. Oh well. There's always next time!
Old 06-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the best part about an enclosed trailer is not having to unload all of your crap right when you get home after a long weekend at the track.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:06 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Martin!! Good call!!!

Now bring that bad boy out to POC - Streets of Willow in a couple of weeks, and show it off! I need a place to hang out between runs!!!
Old 06-07-2016, 07:25 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
That being said, I miss my open trailer for the short runs to the shop. Also miss the attention ***** factor of everyone seeing my car. I guess I wasn't hugged enough as a child.
Internet winner for the day!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:13 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Martin, what did you not like about the open trailer?
Old 06-08-2016, 02:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

resistance is futile.
enclosed, after all the and/but/if.... enclosed is it.

Quick Reply: Time to "Eat Some Crow"...