Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Medical insurance and track accidents.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:05 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Medical insurance and track accidents.

The question came up this weekend when discussing my future racing hopes with my wife as to whether or not my employer sponsored medical insurance covers accidents that happen while racing.

I searched and found nothing on this topic on Rennlist. I did find companies advertising supplemental policies.

Obviously I will call my insurer (Aetna) on Monday and inquire as to the specifics of my policy, but what have the good folks on this forum learned about their own policies? Are you or were you covered?

Thanks as always,

JP
Old 06-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

I know nothing about insurance but even if you tried to kill yourself your medical insurance will pay the bills.
Obtaining life insurance on the other hand can be expensive with habits like racing and skydiving. I don't personally know because I am never going to die.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:23 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

You get life insurance locked in BEFORE you go racing. DE is not racing. I've actually left some explicit instructions to my heirs on how to fight this should it ever be an issue.
The following users liked this post:
Mikelly (12-12-2020)
Old 06-05-2016, 01:00 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What these guys said, but I would refrain from contacting insurance companies and mentioning the word racing.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:47 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some personal experience with this; two years ago I was involved in an incident racing at Summit Point with NASA. I was airlifted to Fairfax and was in the hospital for 5 days, had surgery, and had 3 months of therapy also. the way it worked was that I was required to submit everything to my personal health insurance (HMO); they paid some (I'd say about 30-40%) of the costs, and denied many of them. BUT -- NASA carries a special $1M policy that covers all racers, so every single bill that wasn't paid in full I forwarded along to their insurance company and it was paid up no questions asked.

I don't know how many organizations carry the additional policies, but in my case the NASA policy saved me many tens of thousands of dollars.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:46 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by d15b7
I have some personal experience with this; two years ago I was involved in an incident racing at Summit Point with NASA. I was airlifted to Fairfax and was in the hospital for 5 days, had surgery, and had 3 months of therapy also. the way it worked was that I was required to submit everything to my personal health insurance (HMO); they paid some (I'd say about 30-40%) of the costs, and denied many of them. BUT -- NASA carries a special $1M policy that covers all racers, so every single bill that wasn't paid in full I forwarded along to their insurance company and it was paid up no questions asked.

I don't know how many organizations carry the additional policies, but in my case the NASA policy saved me many tens of thousands of dollars.
Thats great info. Thanks.

That led me to go poke around the PCA website where I found the following:

Porsche Club of America Insurance Plan 2003

Don't know how current the numbers are, but it appears the limits for PCA Racing are much less than $1M.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

SCCA is the same.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:03 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Insurance

Your employer sponsored insurance will almost certainly cover you for this but they may want you to verify that you were not doing this for some sort of financial gain or as another job.

I would simply ask your employer VP of HR or benefits director to send you an email on this. Also this will be addressed in the summary plan description (the big book with all health plan details).

Self insured group health plans (which you are probably covered by if your company has more than say 500 ees) have to cover this as "hazardous hobby" exclusions are not permitted.

On a personal note however I don't think it's your employers job to cover the costs of your medical bills if you are injured racing. This shifts the risk of your hobby into every one employed by your company.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been through this with my insurance. The terms of your policy and your state's laws control. In my case, I broke my wrist at a pca race and my carrier paid the bills. Most insurance is primarily interested in whether someone was at fault against whom they can assert subrogation. Often when I submit claims I get a questionnaire from the carrier as to whether a third party was at fault.

I would not rely on what some drone tells you on the phone. Read your policy and or ask HR or corporate counsel. Be safe out there.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JP66
The question came up this weekend when discussing my future racing hopes with my wife as to whether or not my employer sponsored medical insurance covers accidents that happen while racing.

I searched and found nothing on this topic on Rennlist. I did find companies advertising supplemental policies.

Obviously I will call my insurer (Aetna) on Monday and inquire as to the specifics of my policy, but what have the good folks on this forum learned about their own policies? Are you or were you covered?

Thanks as always,

JP
Immigrate to Canada, problem solved.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:08 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Although it became unnecessary you also have the option of suing your insurance company for the denied coverage.....
Old 06-06-2016, 11:41 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Why stop with racing risk coverage?

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
On a personal note however I don't think it's your employers job to cover the costs of your medical bills if you are injured racing. This shifts the risk of your hobby into every one employed by your company.
I'm a DE'er not a racer, but then what about employees who are over weight, smoke, drink, ride bicycles or dirt bikes, quad runners (w or w/o helmets), have dogs / exotic pets, have a backyard pool, snow or water ski, own a boat, run / jog / mud run / hike, camp, play golf, softball, basketball, football, soccer, rugby, hang glide, rock climb, have a home with stairs, have a tub, climb a ladder, do woodworking, garden / mowing / trim bushes / tress, grill outside, own guns, have a family history of disease, have 19+ kids ... why just single out employees who race in a car on a track? I think you will find the expense for the above elective activities to the collective far exceeds the rare racing inncident. Just ask an ER Dr what they see in the course of a day.

It is rare that someone wants to get hurt doing a leisure activity, but s**t happens. I bet Health Insurance has spent more $s on knee replacements from "sports" enthusiast / weekend warriors then it has ever paid out in racing accidents. Exclusions from health coverage (vs Life Insurance) can be very subjective as to what is the "preventable" risk or a personal choice resulting expense being shared by every employee.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Medical coverage from work will cover you
Old 06-06-2016, 10:08 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

'Should cover' and 'does cover' are 2 way different things. But absent language in the policy excluding track driving (or similar wording) I'd be surprised to see it excluded.
It's a shame insurance policies aren't easier to read.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:50 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
I'm a DE'er not a racer, but then what about employees who are over weight, smoke, drink, ride bicycles or dirt bikes, quad runners (w or w/o helmets), have dogs / exotic pets, have a backyard pool, snow or water ski, own a boat, run / jog / mud run / hike, camp, play golf, softball, basketball, football, soccer, rugby, hang glide, rock climb, have a home with stairs, have a tub, climb a ladder, do woodworking, garden / mowing / trim bushes / tress, grill outside, own guns, have a family history of disease, have 19+ kids ... why just single out employees who race in a car on a track? I think you will find the expense for the above elective activities to the collective far exceeds the rare racing inncident. Just ask an ER Dr what they see in the course of a day.

It is rare that someone wants to get hurt doing a leisure activity, but s**t happens. I bet Health Insurance has spent more $s on knee replacements from "sports" enthusiast / weekend warriors then it has ever paid out in racing accidents. Exclusions from health coverage (vs Life Insurance) can be very subjective as to what is the "preventable" risk or a personal choice resulting expense being shared by every employee.
I agree with all of the above. Unfortunately the govt makes sure those who are responsible pay the costs fort who aren't.

Quick Reply: Medical insurance and track accidents.