Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on ATC Trailers ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 09:57 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I was lucky to find mine used. It has the shoring beam tire rack set up for 16 wheels which I love. Prewired AND BRACED for AC, I added the unit myself at great savings. Have the old style escape door, which never leaks but there can be a door clearance issue over the wheel wells.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:13 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Quest here also. Love it and have added some creature comforts that works well with the mix of racing and promo that I do.

Only one complaint. I have the hatch door (which I love) and the fender can get loose in heavy rains and allow water to come in and wet everything. But, 2 zip ties and a drill fixed the issue completely.

Added: I bought mine as is and got a good deal. Added AC and stuff later. Bought inexpensive tire racks and mounted them in the rear, one on each side. Works very well and weight is distributed. Never bought a winch and never will. If the car isn't running there is always enough good people around to give you push up the ramp. Only needed that 1 time since 08.
Can you post a picture of the zip tie solution?
Old 05-30-2016, 10:20 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 354 Posts

I like ATC a lot, what ever size and options you get if you have one built you can have the tie down points custom made
option 1 is recessed e-track
option 2 is custom placement of D -rings and/or additional D-rings

I find that most std D-rings are placed too much inboard, if they are placed outboard a bit then it makes it much easier to tie down through the wheels and no need to cross

I don't know how any one deals w/o an escape door that allows the cars driver door to be opened wide.

built in winch is handy as is beaver tail.

I like V-nose and could easily live w/o cabinets.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:01 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
I was lucky to find mine used. It has the shoring beam tire rack set up for 16 wheels which I love. Prewired AND BRACED for AC, I added the unit myself at great savings. Have the old style escape door, which never leaks but there can be a door clearance issue over the wheel wells.
What AC unit you choose? How much?

My issue is small gene - 2k watt Honda - anything small enough to run on that?
Old 05-30-2016, 12:36 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

I put in the Atwood 15K nonducted. Comes with a heat pump unit that is nice for those 50 degree mornings early and late in the season. I run it off the Harbor Freight Honda clone. No issues so far.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:36 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
I put in the Atwood 15K nonducted. Comes with a heat pump unit that is nice for those 50 degree mornings early and late in the season. I run it off the Harbor Freight Honda clone. No issues so far.
How much wattage on that generator?
Old 05-30-2016, 01:13 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

2500 peak. Not convinced it actually does that.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:35 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i had a honda EU3000is and it could not keep up with the 15,000 btu ac in southern california. Ended up buying a 6500 watt yamaha for a few $ more and mounted it on the trailer tounge. A 4500 watt would have done the job, i am out the mindset bigger is better
Old 05-30-2016, 06:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,883 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by bkovac
A 4500 watt would have done the job, i am of the mindset bigger is better
Aren't we all?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-30-2016, 06:29 PM
GWF911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On tbe winch point I haven't really needed it as I realized I could just pop off my door and drive it in. Many on RL recommended against driving in due to strain on clutch but I haven't noticed any issues yet
Old 05-30-2016, 06:34 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GWF911
On tbe winch point I haven't really needed it as I realized I could just pop off my door and drive it in. Many on RL recommended against driving in due to strain on clutch but I haven't noticed any issues yet
Unless you really ride the clutch, it should be fine. Winch might come in handy iff the cars not rolling on all 4 though. Another one of those things I have, but hope I never have to use!!!
Old 06-01-2016, 01:49 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bkovac
i had a honda EU3000is and it could not keep up with the 15,000 btu ac in southern california. Ended up buying a 6500 watt yamaha for a few $ more and mounted it on the trailer tounge. A 4500 watt would have done the job, i am out the mindset bigger is better
Another option is to buy two Honda EU2000's and pair them together. It's a lot more manageable moving around two small generators than one large one, particularly if you want to load them into the bed of a truck. My two Hondas run the A/C in my trailer just fine.

Also, I highly recommend insulating the trailer if you're going to A/C it.

As for aluminum trailer brands, I have an Intech that I custom ordered a few years ago. It's held up great and is a great home away from home when I'm at the track. If you want to see what they can build, or get ideas for your ATC, check out the Intech Facebook page. They have a lot of pictures of various trailers they've build.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:45 PM
IPGJames
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Intech is nice to look at but after my 10th email to them asking what the price was on a trailer they posted I found an ATC dealer and custom ordered a trailer (if you are going to post these great looking trailers just post the dang price, maddening to me)

couldn't be happier with my ATC...fit, finish and quality vs my old Pace trailer is a night and day difference...custom built a 34' gooseneck...pulls great...fits 1 car and a golf cart and hits the ease of use button well.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:02 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Really appreciate all the input. I'll spend some time today spec'ing one out. My only struggle is the size. Seems to be large consensus on 24ft. coming from an enclosed trailex that just seems huge to me. Was thinking 20 may be a better fit. I haul a car, two sets of wheels, some tools and a canopy, maybe a pit bike. No air tanks, no major size spares etc.

Then again - I never keep anything for very long I should be sizing for resale.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:09 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default That Escape Door...

really clever, that's what sold me. I am picking the 20' Becker/ATC trailer up on June 6th. The extras do add up, but if you are of the mind set to buy "new" what's a few more bucks.

The shipped weight is 3010....very close to my former 20' Hallmark. I'll post up some pics next week. I can hardly wait of take possession.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on ATC Trailers ???