Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any I reason I can't switch my left brake caliper to my right side?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 01:40 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

I would assume the problem was in the brake system 1st unless there was obvious suspension issues. Then I would look at suspension. Corner weights would have to be off quite a bit I would think but you can have a very nice 50/50 cross and big difference between LF and RF weights. The heavier the car is overall the less significant that is. On a big streetcar I doubt you would see that .

I would take the rotors off and have them turned. $15 bucks at pepboys. put new pads and bleed the calipers. If there was still an issue I would change the braided lines. I have seen new ones fail. Even AC Delco is sourcing china. Then I would replace the caliper seals. All that is pretty easy and cheap. I'm lazy so I would do all that anyway just so I don't have to take the wheels off again. I refurb my brake system and rebuild calipers before they need it maybe about every 2 years. I'm real picky about brake lines. Not all ss lines are DOT or FMVSS level. Rubber hoses can actually pass some parts of DOT easier than SS line. SS lines need to be a step above to pass some tests like the whip test.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:33 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

What about a weak torsion bar causing different loading under braking?
Old 07-17-2016, 08:02 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
BTW this is the tool I was looking for:

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...FdRZhgodlcwLlA

Glad to see it exists! Now I need to find a shop that has one, so I can rule out the brake system.
You sound like a DIY type of guy so check your local big box parts store, Advance, Oreily or Atozon. They should have a brake fluid pressure tester that they will loan you with a deposit. It tests at the bleeder hole.
It will narrow down the problem to before or after the caliper at least. I guess it will work on the MC as well but I have not used one that way.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

Ah good point on the brake pressure tester - I will try that out.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:11 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

So I ran a quick experiment last night. My front right was about 70 lbs lower than my front left in my corner balance numbers. So I decided to put two 40 lb salt bags into my frunk on the right side. I also reinstalled my spare tire, and then had my 210 lb friend ride along in the passenger seat. Boom - problem solved. Even brake lock up up front.

I wish I would have tried this sooner - I thought the 210 lb friend (not a girlfriend would have done it before, but like someone mentioned getting the weight directly over the wheel is what made the difference. My race shop also told me a 70lbs differential wasn't an issue but I guess they were wrong. I'm now confident that it was not my brake calipers or the brake system. Although I do think the bias is challenging, it seems to be workable with a good corner balance and perhaps differential (friction) brake pads.

Next for me - I am going to relocate the battery from the front left to the smugglers box via the rennline kit and keep the spare in. I will then get another corner balance. And finally I will try the differential brake pads. After all of that I hope to have a well balanced car the evely locks up under braking.

Thanks for everyone's help - hopefully others learn from this thread!

Quick Reply: Any I reason I can't switch my left brake caliper to my right side?