Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer help for a noob

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:37 PM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to drive at 80mph up hill towing your car, the Jeep Wrangler is the wrong option for you.. If you will tow your car 4 times a year and you're not in a rush then a wrangler can do the job.. Yes an F250, a Cayenne twin turbo, and almost every full sized SUV would be better than a wrangler.

I think the bigger question you should be asking yourself, is choosing an enclosed or open trailer? Then you can match the right tow vehicle for the job..
Old 05-21-2016, 08:22 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

Rob, who doesn't want to tow a car uphill going 80mph?

That's the speed limit out here, so it's not like I'm burning past people, I'm barely keeping up with traffic at those speeds...
Old 05-22-2016, 10:13 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

what to tow w/ in no particular order depends on time, distance, budget, comfort level

When I was racing 4000# keel boats the best tow we had for a long haul was a GMC long wheelbase V8 powered, factory tow package, 3/4 ton van. 880# of crew, another couple hundred #s of gear, 4000# boat+2000# trailer went all over N. America at speed over the mountains w/o any issues for years.

Another guy used a 6 cyl 4-Runner, the crew & gear had to find their own route to the Regattas

another fella used a diesel VW Rabbit but only moved the boat & trailer around the Ft Adams boat yard.

factory ratings for tow have for years only had a weak correlation to reality, they depend on
Vehicle structure
Chassis and suspension design
Engine type, axle ratios, and other drivetrain variables
Hitch design and class
Tire ratings and load capacities
and in the bad old days advertising

SAE came up w/ a minimum standard, J2807, in 2008. Toyota was the first to use it in 2011, Ford (I think in 2013) the rest mostly started using it last year(2015)
Old 05-22-2016, 10:15 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Trailer help for a noob

Wheelbase length is critical to stability in winds- especially in bad weather. Wrangler way too short. I wouldn't tow with it.

Whatever tow vehicle you use - you have to take care of the tranny. Transmissions take the brunt of the load and abuse when towing yet many people have no idea. A tranny temp gauge is essential. Even towing my rig 5-7 weekends a year, it still gets the tranny fluid flushed every year. You wouldn't believe how used the oil gets in it. A tranny cooler well worth having- it's part of what comes with the "heavy duty tow pkg" on trucks.

Get a used pickup or suv. A nightmare on the road ( something going wrong at night, in the rain, in middle of nowhere) is not what you'd want to expose you GT3 to.

I still freak about brakes too. An idiot pulled out in front of s buddy in the rain, and promptly jumped on the brakes. My buddy couldn't get rig stopped in time....

Stopping distances increase dramatically when you are towing- thus the reason for 3/4 ton snd 1 ton trucks. I've upgraded to some heavy duty pads and still isn't more brakes.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Not sure if this is your Wrangler, but the factory tow rating for a Wrangler Unlimited w/ factory tow package is 3500#
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited tow rating
also note that it only has a class II hitch, you want a class III or even better class IV hitch
Old 05-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 231 Posts

I should have just taken the advice laid out to me early on, but I didn't.
Started with tire trailer, then bought a used Featherlite open which I towed behind a Cayenne S (man it didn't like the Catskills), bought an enclosed trailer, then bought a diesel Ram 2500. Now when I hook the trailer up to my truck, the truck says, "is it in yet?"

And now I 'need' to get a two car hauler except I don't live on a property that would be appropriate for one.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:21 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Fwiw I've been renting tow vehicles while my cayenne is in the shop

Enterprise truck rentals has 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with tow setups (the last 2 I rented were literally brand new and loaded) for about $50/day where I'm at...
Old 05-23-2016, 02:03 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Fwiw I've been renting tow vehicles while my cayenne is in the shop Enterprise truck rentals has 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with tow setups (the last 2 I rented were literally brand new and loaded) for about $50/day where I'm at...
I had thought they only rented those for commercial use - that sounds awesome
Old 05-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

I wouldn't tow with a Wrangler, but I'd also not be able to explain any of this to my wife.

You should also check out ATC trailers. I have a 20' V-nose and tow it with my MB GL63 and don't even know it's back there. (Thank you, air suspension!) Just made the trip from Virginia to WGI and it's the best setup I've ever had.

For you, another vote for buying something that can tow at least 6000 pounds.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I had thought they only rented those for commercial use - that sounds awesome
Nope, just go here, select "personal", etc.

https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/truckrental/en_US.html

The service has been exceptional at the location I've been going to... great experience.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:21 PM
jakay11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, ignorant me thought a Wrangler 4-dr would work.
Then again, I (the wife really) got said wrangler before there was a GT4.

We also live in a condo with a 1-car garage at the moment, yet Colorado hills are definitely in our future.

The short answer is I'll "rent a rig" (does Uber do that yet

No, I'm not going to use the Wrangler to tow up to the Glen (the ride is Ok, last few miles from town to the track is not.)

Ultimately, yes, it will be a 1-car enclosed trailer, or maybe a motorhome/car carrier. At that point though, it will probably also be a dedicated track car too.

Thank you all for all the VERY valuable info! It is very much appreciated.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:44 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jakay11
Ultimately, yes, it will be a 1-car enclosed trailer, or maybe a motorhome/car carrier. At that point though, it will probably also be a dedicated track car too.

Thank you all for all the VERY valuable info! It is very much appreciated.
Hey, we are all here learning together! You have a great car, and really appreciate that you track it. Definitely check out ATC Raven. Price is a little bit more, but they don't depreciate and they pull great!
Old 05-23-2016, 07:02 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

No, I'm not going to use the Wrangler to tow up to the Glen (the ride is Ok, last few miles from town to the track is not.)

When are you going to the Glen?
Old 05-23-2016, 07:04 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

The short answer is I'll "rent a rig".
Thank God.

I own a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and I describe the high speed stability akin to driving a golf cart with a pig strapped to the roof. I can't imagine towing anything, anywhere with a Jeep Wrangler, let alone a gorgeous GT4.

Another good tow/SUV vehicle for open trailers is the new 2017 Mercedes GLS350d. I towed my open Trailex with a MB GL350 BlueTec 4Matic and it towed like a champ. You could probably get a nicely equipped used one for a pretty good deal with the 2017s due out soon.

Of course, everyone is right...buy a big ugly truck with an enclosed trailer and you'll never regret it. That way we pretend to be truckers AND race car drivers in the same weekend!
Old 05-24-2016, 02:18 PM
jakay11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
When are you going to the Glen?
End of July - NNJR PCA DE.
I want to feel out the car. Currently have 1300mi on it and getting close to finishing break-in.

Quick Reply: Trailer help for a noob