Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Mid-Ohio school - professional instruction, reputation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts
Default The Mid-Ohio school - professional instruction, reputation?

Have read a lot of good things about this school, but nothing more recent than 2007/2008. Is this still a good school? Most said instructors were great, but people move on...

My main reasons for looking at this school are:

- I know DEs are a cheaper way to get more track time, but I want professional instruction (I've done 3 DEs to date)
- I like the price (not 3-4K like the big ones)
- I like being able to use my own car to learn it better (although I realize there is cost/risk here)

The other option I've looked at is a one day Porsche driving school in Atlanta, but I don't think that's as much bang for your buck. Anything else below 2k that I should consider within reasonable distance of Cincinnati?
Old 05-04-2016, 12:18 AM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Cincinnati too and have completed the Mid-Ohio racing school 3 day program.

The school is ran by Brian Till - former Indy lights racer and current announcer. Tommy Byrne is also a main instructor (he wrote a book called Crashed and Byrned). They are also staffed by several up and coming racers. Overall you will get a lot of nice track time and solid instruction. You will do a track walk, rolling start, standing grid start, two-wide around corners (slowly) and a few other things you can't do in DE but it's not a legitimate racing prep school IMO. What I mean by that is there are no pre-requisites so you will have people in your class with little or no experience.

You will segment the track into 3 parts and work in specific sections, work on braking zones, and then a lot of open lapping. The instructors will take you out in a car but typically do not ride in your car. Depending on your comfort level, they will impress you in the Acura sedans. My guess is they are running 1:38ish in a FWD and hard tires.

I would suggest hiring a private instructor for a DE day. In my experience that is a bigger bang for the buck. The racing school is a bit limited to the lowest common denominator. If you are more towards the beginning level then the school would be better suited for you.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:21 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default The Mid-Ohio school - professional instruction, reputation?

Four stars. Great school. Impressive pedigrees on all instructors, including Timmy Byrne- with F1 experience who had been there 23 years I believe, Brian Till- indy car veteran who is motor sports broadcaster in addition to the 20+ years he's been with the school. Scott has many years of Indycar and IMSA experience (962s) and of course Burt, who is just great.

Just was working with these guys last weekend. Great school. I put both my sons thru their teen defensive driving school
Old 05-04-2016, 12:22 AM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
Four stars. Great school. Impressive pedigrees on all instructors, including Timmy Byrne- with F1 experience who had been there 23 years I believe, Brian Till- indy car veteran who is motor sports broadcaster in addition to the 20+ years he's been with the school. Scott has many years of Indycar and IMSA experience (962s) and of course Burt, who is just great.

Just was working with these guys last weekend. Great school. I put both my sons thru their teen defensive driving school
Yes - Burt is hilarious.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:32 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Have to say, they're one of the good ones. Been at it a LONG time with solid, consistent instructors.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-04-2016, 04:38 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

+993
They're as good as they get.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:40 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

Great to hear - thanks. I am looking at their high performance driving 2-day school. I'm not looking for wheel to wheel instruction yet, more for time trial / advanced DE work. Sounds like this school would be right on target.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:11 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Their two day school starts with a half day of ax style parking lot drills and class, and ends with a couple hours of open track--at least that's how they did it a number of years ago. Day two was on track drills and open track.
Rent the honda or accura they offer and drive it like a rental. The upcharge is less than the cost of tire wear on your Pcar.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:17 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Here's a video of the dry line. This is by Mike Gerowitz in a borrowed car (nasa HPDE 4 group leader).

Old 05-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I know the older instructors by reputation. Tommy and Brian and such are top notch.

The younger guys. Pat Gallagher, Jason Wolfe, etc. are guys I have raced with. Great people. Passionate for the sport.

I would have no problem spending my money to work with those guys.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I had raced at Mid-Ohio many years ago with SCCA and it was my favorite track. Two years ago I was doing a DE and it seemed that I just could not get comfortable in turn 1 or the carousel. Brian Till was roaming the pits and offering free "chalk board" instruction to anyone who would ask. I spent about 45 minutes with him and after two more sessions on the track, dropped 2 seconds. I've watched their drills and it looked like a good program.

Quick Reply: The Mid-Ohio school - professional instruction, reputation?