Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone actually race with a "street" car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:27 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Does anyone actually race with a "street" car?

Just day dreaming. I have been planning to try my hand at racing next summer with Spec Miatas because I don't want to give up my DE Porsche that I can drive to and from the track meaning I don't need a trailer and a tow vehicle.

Just wondering though does anyone at all race their street legal Porsche in a PCA club race. The rules seem to imply it's possible:

Club Racing
This is the real deal. Actual door handle to door handle racing. The concept behind the PCA Club Racing series is that EVERY Porsche (except the Cayenne) is a good race car and can be correctly classed to be competitive against other Porsches. Cars are classed depending on engine size, power to weight ratio, and modifications. The stock classes are stock enough that a car should be able to be legally driven to and from the event. There are numerous classes racing at once, usually divided up into three or four run groups.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:43 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Does anyone actually race with a "street" car?

The major issue as I understand it is that a race car is dangerous to driver under street conditions - I.e roll cage without helmet.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:50 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Just day dreaming. I have been planning to try my hand at racing next summer with Spec BOXSTER because I don't want to give up my DE Porsche that I can drive to and from the track meaning I don't need a trailer and a tow vehicle.
Fixed it for you.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:59 PM
wgn
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the roll cage is generally the problem and is required for PCA. It's a safety issue in a street car, not something most people want to deal with in their street cars (entry/exit is "a bit" compromised), and installing the cage destroys a lot of the street car niceties anyway.

I'm aware of one club in northern CA that allows cars in their race group with approved four point roll protection: Checkered Flag Racing. I raced with them for 2 years with a four point roll bar before admitting there was no chance my car would ever return to the street and installing a full cage. It's a small club with a great group of people; I still race with them.

Reality: if you start racing, you will quickly find that it's much more practical to have a trailer anyway (easier to haul all the crap you suddenly "need" at the track, and good insurance against breakdowns). Then you'll modify the car so that you don't want to drive it on the street. Then you'll start looking at all the weight you can save by gutting it. And the money you'll save just in maintenance and consumables with a Spec Miata vs. your Porsche will fund the trailer. Might just want to plan ahead....
Old 04-30-2016, 09:29 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

The last guy I knew that drove his car to PCA races quit about five years ago when he totaled the car.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:47 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

I know a guy that races his street car in J and GTB1. Yes it can be done but both street and track performance are compromised.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:17 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

I drive my race car on the street occasionally. I simply install the headlights and change from slicks to DOT stickies.

I know one of our Spec 911 racers that until a few years ago drove his car to multiple events per year. He mounted his race rubber on a roof top carrier.

Back in the day you could do a PCA Club Race with just a roll bar in some classes. One of my friends did this in his 944 Turbo S daily driver. He was fast-- at one race he was right near a 962 (or was it a 935) on the grid.

All manner of things are possible, and can make sense under the right circumstances.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:39 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Fixed it for you.
Hah, have you been talking to Simon Kirkby? That's exactly what he said

Gotta work on learning more basics this summer then take a Racing School and get licensed . . . so really plenty of time to dream about what ifs!

It is a shame though. Would be great just to show up next spring with my R, switch tires, and run around the track in the PCA Sprint as an I class. Maybe by then I can find a nice Spec Boxster to rent . . .
Old 04-30-2016, 10:48 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an e36 race car that I drive to and from the track, which is only 20 min from home. It's street legal, but not a street car by any stretch. The mods that are necessary to make it legal and competitive for racing also make it highly compromised for road use.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:14 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fbirch
I have an e36 race car that I drive to and from the track, which is only 20 min from home. It's street legal, but not a street car by any stretch. The mods that are necessary to make it legal and competitive for racing also make it highly compromised for road use.
Yeah, really the answer is to win the lottery and be able to afford a cool street DE Porsche and have enough money to buy a second Porsche for racing.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:22 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Yeah, really the answer is to win the lottery and be able to afford a cool street DE Porsche and have enough money to buy a second Porsche for racing.
Sell the R, build a spec box, and buy a 944/986/996 for the street. I sold my 987.2 S to fund the SPB, I'll pick up another street Porsche when time (and money) allows.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:55 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Sell the R, build a spec box, and buy a 944/986/996 for the street. I sold my 987.2 S to fund the SPB, I'll pick up another street Porsche when time (and money) allows.

Thanks! You really make me smile from ear to ear 'cuz I think WE think exactly the same way. You're like the little guy sitting on my shoulder arguing with the other guy on the opposite shoulder. (I won't say which color your wearing ), but point is there's always "more than one way to skin a cat".

EDIT: looking at your sign off makes me realize I need to start adding my info. Truthfully I can now say 99 996, 2011 997, and 2012 981 . . . so what's next . . . I do LOVE LOVE LOVE the R though, and I really do believe it will become a "classic" someday, but I'm living today . . .
Old 05-01-2016, 03:05 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 425 Posts

I have a street legal 02 996 that I run J-class with (and ran GTB1 a few times until I got it legal for J) and occasionally drive it to work to circulate the fluids and literally blow out the spider webs.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:27 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Just to parrot what many people here have said - it would be a compromise.

I have a 944 that was a great DE car with a half cage. I was going to race it but than bought my Cayman.

To drive around with a full cage is the biggest problem as you can kill yourself in an accident. The second issue is emissions in most regions, if you have taken the cats out and tuned your engine.

I drive my 944 around, pictured below, and get pulled over a lot - mainly out of curiosity. No tickets thus far - knock on wood!

The only time the Cayman has seen the streets is during a car show at my daughter's high school where I took "best import". My car was louder than the several muscle cars in attendance!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:58 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Thanks! You really make me smile from ear to ear 'cuz I think WE think exactly the same way. You're like the little guy sitting on my shoulder arguing with the other guy on the opposite shoulder. (I won't say which color your wearing ), but point is there's always "more than one way to skin a cat".

EDIT: looking at your sign off makes me realize I need to start adding my info. Truthfully I can now say 99 996, 2011 997, and 2012 981 . . . so what's next . . . I do LOVE LOVE LOVE the R though, and I really do believe it will become a "classic" someday, but I'm living today . . .
The little guy's sitting on my shoulder won because my wife was actually included on the pro race car side. It helps that all my track friends have a SPB, at my last DE there were enough to have a full race class.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Does anyone actually race with a "street" car?