Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canceled PCA FSR Spring HPDE at Dominion Raceway April 30 May 1 Canceled

Old 04-25-2016, 11:18 AM
somdcroc
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Canceled PCA FSR Spring HPDE at Dominion Raceway April 30 May 1 Canceled

HPDE Drivers, Instructors, Volunteers, Supporters and Friends,

As you may have already been informed the decision was made to cancel the PCA First Settlers Region HPDE at Dominion Raceway scheduled for Saturday April 30 to Sunday May 1. This was a very painful decision to make but it was an informed and correct decision. Although we had earlier been told by the track they had high confidence the track and its staff was ready to host this event, an assessment of the track made it obvious that for the safety off all involved the best decision was to cancel the event.

The First Settlers Region did not make this decision without input from many other local motorsports experts as well as an agreement from the track that their readiness falls short of what we expected and contracted for.

For the assessment on Saturday afternoon I invited a fellow HPDE driver and multi-club member that is an expert highway and racetrack safety engineering, the SCCA DC Region Regional Executive, The SCCA DC Region member that is qualified by the SCCA National office to perform track certifications, the local SCCA National representative responsible for organizing the SCCA Track Night in America events across the entire US, the NASA Mid-Atlantic Region Director, and the Director of the Dominion Drivers' Club to accompany me during the assessment I needed to perform. Although I have little personal experience this assembled team represents much of the driving community in our Virginia-Maryland-DC region and has decades of experience in organizing HPDE and road course racing events at numerous tracks across the US.

The consensus amongst this team was unanimous that this track is not ready now and will not be ready until some safety features are installed or modified and their safety staff is complete and trained. In addition, Dominion's yet to be completed paving schedule for the final two layers of asphalt on the track and completion of the paddock left little room for delays due to weather, or unforeseen events such as paving equipment failure.

So, how does cancellation impact you?

1) We did not bill for the event so your credit card was not, and will not be charged.
2) If you made a hotel reservation you will need to cancel it soon. I met personally with the night manager of one of the Thornburg hotels that said they can work with individuals that had non-refundable reservations and will attempt to refund your money. Please call the individual hotel and explain that your event at Dominion Raceway was canceled due to the track not being ready. Some hotels may also credit you for a future event if you have reserved a non-refundable room.
3) If you had HPDE insurance please delete this event or update your policy for another event as applicable.
4) If you haven't already registered consider signing up for our PCA FSR July HPDE at Dominion Raceway--we will continue to assess their readiness for that event.

For those of you on our PCA FSR HPDE Committee and other volunteers that have already put in countless hours of work plus numerous visits to the track, Marco and I appreciate your efforts and we will do everything we can to ensure the July event is safe and a success. As you may have figured out--we are a team of extremely passionate driving enthusiasts that are all extremely disappointed in this cancellation but ultimately the safety of our attendees, our volunteers, our family and friend spectators, our photo vendor (F&S Enterprises) our Sponsor (OGracing.com), and our event Pro Coach, Peter Krause, deserve the decision we made.

Please also understand that although they are also disappointed the track management team concurs with our decision and we continue to have a good relationship and look forward to working with each other in the future. They are great group of folks and their potential to build one of the nicest motorsports complexes in the US is not in doubt.

We hope to have more information in the coming days. If you have questions feel free to contact me.

I hope to see you at Dominion Raceway or another local track soon!

Scott Hoffman
PCA First Settlers Region HPDE Registrar
de@fsrpca.org

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Canceled PCA FSR Spring HPDE at Dominion Raceway April 30 May 1 Canceled