Sponsored by:

ASA GTA cars for HPDE or road racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 04:21 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASA GTA cars for HPDE or road racing

I'm sure some have considered the ASA stock cars that have either been converted to symmetrical or were purpose built for road courses. I was wondering what the thought process was and where it lead.

I just read a thread from an HPDE guy entitled "talk me into/or out of an ASA car for road courses." it was interesting and I could relate to a lot of it as I have run street cars and a tube frame trans am car at open track events.

to me it seems that cars that were built for street use are generally quieter and cooler temp inside, but are usually more expensive to run (consumables for high horsepower cars) and not as safe (no fuel cells, if there's a cage, it usually has trade offs built into it).

The tube frame (ASA) cars are generally not very expensive (well put together ones running mid-20's). They are usually at a higher level of safety (cage, cell, etc), and consumables are crazy cheap (tires for $650, very common calipers, rotors, generally cheaper mechanical parts and much simpler to troubleshoot. also, have an incident and repairs are a lot cheaper.). the trade off in my mind - unless you change the exhaust they are loud as hell and hot as hell and their feel in corners is less precise.

So that got me to thinking. given they are safe and cheap to run, why don't I see more of them? I was surprised to find out that they actually do come as two seaters. I also saw one guy in Michigan changed his wheel hubs so he could run C5 Vette wheels/tires in an effort to tighten up the road feel. The mechanical components are actually made to run on track. so wear and breakage seems more predictable. they are extremely easy to work on.

So it just puzzled me. I figure I can't be the first to wonder why I don't see more of these at HPDE or at race weekends. to me Rennlist has one of the best pools of experience, so I thought I'd pose the question here as a search of ASA was not at all effective on the forum.

thoughts?

Last edited by cre8fun; 04-23-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-23-2016, 07:40 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the cars I'm talking about. about the 4 min mark it switches to interview with the owner.

Last edited by cre8fun; 04-24-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

I can't speak to these specific cars but there are some guys at Group 52 who drive those old NASCAR trucks. They are very high HP, big *** tire, simple race cars and they go very fast! I am told those trucks are around 10-20k and are under two minutes at the Glen. There are usually a few of them and they all 'play' with each other drafting etc. Oh, and they sound awesome.

I have never driven one.
If you consider one, make sure your trailer is wide enough!!!!
Old 04-24-2016, 07:37 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

Have run with a couple of those trucks/cars. Agree, cheap and cheerful to run. Bias ply tires cost less but you have to adapt to a different feel and bigger slip angles. If you are used to running on a loose surface (dirt track, ice, or snow) then the transition is pretty natural.

In general, faster in a straight line, slower in the corners, and special attention to the after apex traction circle

Just depends what you like. Personally it's all about corner entry speed and also radial slicks are much more satisfying to lean on. But that kind of feel costs more money.

Quick Reply: ASA GTA cars for HPDE or road racing