Sponsored by:

Isaac device first use

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 11:49 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Isaac device first use

For those interested in the Isaac device I thought I would post my comments here after my first real track use. I first learned of the Isaac here so there is probably interest in it. Greg Baker the engineer for Isaac was incredibly helpful answering all my concerns about how the device functions. He will have to chime in on the science. Suffice it to say that the engineering looks very sound. His presentation of the science is what convinced me that this product met more of my requirements than the sewing machine devices or the HANS. The manufacture of the device is top notch. Being the paranoid person that I am, I opted for the bolt and glue method of attaching the Isaac mounting plates to the helmet. I have reasons and tips if anyone wants to open a discussion on this. Trackside it took about 10 seconds a side to feel my way to locking the retaining pins in place. A funny thing is the terminus of the device kinda ends by your ears. So you get all this metal knocking noise on your helmet that goes right to your ears. It bugged me at first but once you are on the track you don’t notice it at all. I found the device somewhat restrictive in head movement in the pitts more than anywhere else. The restrictiveness lasted about 1/2 a lap and then you don’t even notice you have it on. By the time I was back in the pitts my usual freedom to move around was fine. The Isaac website says something like “if you haven’t tried another helmet restraint you won’t like the way Isaac feels” but I think they underestimate how comfortable the Isaac device really is. It took about 1 second a side to unpin the device from my helmet allowing complete freedom to exit the car. Overall what a great device. I really like the fact that when you are driving you really do not notice Isaac is there.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Mark in Denver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with all of Billybob's comments. At the recent Hallett race, I forgot to reattach the Isaac device after the required 5 minute pit stop. That made me realize how much the Isaac device supports your neck during hard driving. I missed it. I won't go without it from now on.

Mark

Quick Reply: Isaac device first use