Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to prevent winch wire from bunching up on one side

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:52 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

I believe the key is ensuring the wire (or rope) is pulling at a 90deg angle to the drum. Unless the winch is aligned exactly to the tow-hook, you will need some kind of pulley to align the forces. On mine the front d-rings are close together and a simple snatchblock does the trick, if yours are father apart, you may have to make some type of hook-chain-pulley arrangement.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jscott82; 03-24-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:52 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
I believe the key is ensuring the wire (or rope) is pulling at a 90deg angle to the drum. Unless the winch is aligned exactly to the tow-hook, you will need some kind of pulley to align the forces. On mine the front d-rings are close together and a simple snatchblock does the trick, if yours are father apart, you may have to make some type of hook-chain-pulley arrangement.
Very slick!
Old 03-25-2016, 11:47 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my shop mount the winch off center by just cutting a new base plate for the winch which extends to the right side of of the trailer gooseneck. The standard plate on a Trailex is just bolted on so you take it off and mount the extended plate in its place.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:43 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I went to rope a long time ago. Does not cure spooling but no risk of frayed strands injuring you and it does not tangle as easily in spooling mishaps.

Quick Reply: How to prevent winch wire from bunching up on one side