Sponsored by:

Egress ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 04:23 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
For me and my car, I have to slide the seat back and remove the steering wheel to get out quickly.
Me too. I'm not getting out without sliding seat back and removing wheel.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:34 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,476 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I practiced getting in and out quickly because of the enduro pit stop. Same idea to get into a habit.

I like the idea of putting a mat on the floor to practice more. I get out with the grace of a baby rhino being born.

Thanks for trying to keep us alive Roger! Also a good business model - a live client is a paying client!
Old 03-03-2016, 04:35 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I practiced getting in and out quickly because of the enduro pit stop. Same idea to get into a habit.

I like the idea of putting a mat on the floor to practice more. I get out with the grace of a baby rhino being born.

Thanks for trying to keep us alive Roger! Also a good business model - a live client is a paying client!
Thanks man! I love your analogies.

Oh, and I would do this kind of stuff anyway with or without TG. I enjoy it and it's totally worth a few bucks if it helps peeps be a little safer.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My routine, since getting a spec car, is to practice getting out of my car (after every session on track) with eyes closed and HANS/helmet on.

Obvi, I have a built in suppression system, and just bought a new extinguisher Friday. My SpecM guys are Racing Analytics (at AMP Dawsonville, GA) and are excellent. While installing it, Clay D, chief tech there said to me:

"If there's a fire, GET OUT. DON'T try to put it out. The extinguisher is for if your cage is crumpled or your door is against a wall. THEN use it. Otherwise GET OUT."
Old 03-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Feuerbach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From another high performance job with similar crossover, Air Force Pilots have checklists and what is called "BOLDFACE" procedures for emergency situations.

We do not have one for egress!

Instead, we practice, practice, practice getting out. Why? Under extreme stress your brain WILL revert to that muscle memory, it is well documented and trusted.

So, get in there, and get out, a few times... especially important with an unfamiliar car to do at least once before a race.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I have stickers for radio, drink bottle, flasher etc. One to save my skin/life is a very good idea. Review prior to each time getting in the car, and practice each weekend.

You didn't mention "door" but I'm tall and even though its an extra step, I think I'm faster out using it, with less chance of getting caught halfway out. That said, under duress I reserve the right to ignore it.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:52 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dr911
My routine, since getting a spec car, is to practice getting out of my car (after every session on track) with eyes closed and HANS/helmet on.

Obvi, I have a built in suppression system, and just bought a new extinguisher Friday. My SpecM guys are Racing Analytics (at AMP Dawsonville, GA) and are excellent. While installing it, Clay D, chief tech there said to me:

"If there's a fire, GET OUT. DON'T try to put it out. The extinguisher is for if your cage is crumpled or your door is against a wall. THEN use it. Otherwise GET OUT."
Yep..Racing Analytics are great guys. I think the extinguisher is best to use on someone else's car. I your car is on fire, just get out. Wise words.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:57 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread idea. I just made my list, and going to laminate it and velcro to my dash. Since I sit, well lay, on my fuel tank I was especially receptive to this reminder

EGRESS

Suppression
Master Kill
Remove Steering
Belts
Escape
Old 03-03-2016, 04:57 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Feuerbach
From another high performance job with similar crossover, Air Force Pilots have checklists and what is called "BOLDFACE" procedures for emergency situations.

We do not have one for egress!

Instead, we practice, practice, practice getting out. Why? Under extreme stress your brain WILL revert to that muscle memory, it is well documented and trusted.

So, get in there, and get out, a few times... especially important with an unfamiliar car to do at least once before a race.
Yes sir..exactly what I'm thinking. Practice the same thing until it's muscle memory. Just one weekend we exit at least 3-5 times per day.
Originally Posted by Ritter v4.0
I have stickers for radio, drink bottle, flasher etc. One to save my skin/life is a very good idea. Review prior to each time getting in the car, and practice each weekend.

You didn't mention "door" but I'm tall and even though its an extra step, I think I'm faster out using it, with less chance of getting caught halfway out. That said, under duress I reserve the right to ignore it.
Thank you! Yeah I'm 6'2" and it's much easier with the door open. But, one try at the door..if that doesn't work I'm out the window instead. Love your car!!
Old 03-03-2016, 04:59 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by savyboy
Great thread idea. I just made my list, and going to laminate it and velcro to my dash. Since I sit, well lay, on my fuel tank I was especially receptive to this reminder

EGRESS

Suppression
Master Kill
Remove Steering
Belts
Escape
Very cool. Doesn't have to be a nifty sticker..just need something that works. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2016, 12:29 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Also remember that in the event of a crash you may not be able to get out the drivers side. That's why inside nets have QR on them. A whole different deal crawling out the passenger side but may be your only option...
Old 03-04-2016, 08:24 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by J richard
Also remember that in the event of a crash you may not be able to get out the drivers side. That's why inside nets have QR on them. A whole different deal crawling out the passenger side but may be your only option...
Yeah, I thought about that too. Even more scary scenario. Not sure how to tackle that one..that's a nightmare.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:28 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Man, you guys are the best. Of all the great threads I have learned from, this might be the most valuable.
Thank you all
Old 03-04-2016, 08:38 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Man, you guys are the best. Of all the great threads I have learned from, this might be the most valuable.
Thank you all
I second that Rick. I always get more and better ideas from the guys/gals here. Even though I'm immersed in the biz, I can't think of everything. I've already learned from this as well. Thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:26 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

QUESTION: Do you pull the safety pin from the dashboard FIRE switch at the beginning of a race weekend and leave it out until it's time to pack up the car and go home? Or do you pull and replace the pin before/after each session?

Where do you stash the safety pin when not in use?

Quick Reply: Egress ideas??