Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR suing paving contractor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016 | 03:55 PM
alexaqui
Racer

All of those illegal street car conversions without cats destroyed the track with their evil emissions. Such a sad day it will be potentially closed for a fair bit.
Old 02-12-2016 | 04:03 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

see below

To our valued Track Renters:

VIR will be performing track maintenance this summer, tentatively from June 29th - July 31st. Those groups who have been issued Track Rental Agreements with VIR still have firm event dates. Those with dates that are traditionally held during our tentative closure have been contacted.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused our customers, and please be assured the course of action we are taking is to ensure that VIR maintains the high standards that our loyal customers expect and demand.

This could be a great time frame to schedule a corporate teambuilding or group outing since the Patriot Course and VIR Resort activities and amenities (such as shooting ranges, skeet, kart track, spa, lodging and Oak Tree Tavern) will remain open with greater availability.
Old 02-12-2016 | 05:56 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

I traded emails with Mark Hicks and he confirmed that it's business as usual for Chin 3/5-3/6.
Old 02-12-2016 | 08:33 PM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

PCA Zone 2 is still a go for March 18-20. I just got an confirmation email about it yesterday.
Old 02-13-2016 | 10:24 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I thought it was interesting that part of the problem was the wrong density of portions that were not compacted enough. Hopefully they don't have to close and repave for 6 weeks.

I know there is someone here who is a asphalt expert. Maybe they can chime in.
Normally they take density tests at random spots. Also they will take core samples to test the asphalt for the proper thickness and ratios of binder,stone,and fillers. This is private work so who knows if any of this happened and if it did, who picked the spots to test. If the asphalt passes muster the contractor just blames the existing sub base. I would bet that the "sub base clause" was in the contract.

VIR would have been prudent to have hired their own engineer to oversee the work.

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 02-13-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2016 | 01:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
If the asphalt passes muster the contractor just blames the existing sub base. I would bet that the "sub base clause" was in the contract.

VIR would have been prudent to have hired their own engineer to oversea the work.
Just like concrete and paint, the quality of the supporting base is actually more important that the quality of the "cover"...
Old 02-15-2016 | 08:41 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

I'm guessing another factor that increased costs at WGI was the extensive replacement/enhancement of the containment fences.

When I was there last year in April with NASA-NE, they were already putting up all new poles and curved containment fencing entering the front straight.
Old 02-17-2016 | 07:25 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I thought it was interesting that part of the problem was the wrong density of portions that were not compacted enough. Hopefully they don't have to close and repave for 6 weeks.

I know there is someone here who is a asphalt expert. Maybe they can chime in.
Generally speaking, December is a horrible time to be paving as far north as Virginia. There is very little margin for error when paving in cold conditions. Weather, paving practices, and getting the proper mix of ingredients for the asphalt "recipe" are the big things in a getting a quality finished product.
The track owners made a big mistake if they didn't hire an engineering/testing firm to oversee the production and placement of the asphalt. A contract of that size would typically have all sorts of tests done on the asphalt mix at the plant as it was produced and in-place immediately after it was compacted.

Quick Reply: VIR suing paving contractor