Sponsored by:

How to store wheel/tire in a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016 | 08:05 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
I use shoring beams.

Question- how are you guys securing on those? I'm currently using ratchet strap around circumference of wheel so no worries about it bouncing out. What are others using to secure wheels on shoring beams?
I put ratchet straps through the wheel centers and tie them down around end of shoring beam. I could hook them into etrack, but am afraid I could over tighten and pull the whole sidewall in a bit.

Interested in other people's methods as well.
Old 01-15-2016 | 08:53 PM
cec3
Advanced

Originally Posted by 944hal
cec3
Thank you, I need to take some measurements!
I believe the lower tray frame is less than 2" tall so assuming a 24-25" wheel diameter you only need about 26-27" from the ceiling for loading clearance.
Old 01-16-2016 | 09:05 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by linzman
I put ratchet straps through the wheel centers and tie them down around end of shoring beam. I could hook them into etrack, but am afraid I could over tighten and pull the whole sidewall in a bit.

Interested in other people's methods as well.
I use the same method of holding my tires down on the shoring beams. You are right to avoid running a ratchet strap from e-track to e-track. It is too easy to put too much pulling force using the ratchet.
Keep an eye on the strap - I was using light duty motorcycle tie down straps and one wore completely through. Caught it on a routine peak into the trailer mid-tow. Interestingly the tires stayed put on the beams without the strap but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 01-16-2016 | 05:06 PM
htron435
Advanced

Originally Posted by 944hal
CEC3
where did you get those tire racks? I like how they work and where they are mounted!
You can find the same tire racks on ebay in 4 or 8 foot lengths for closer to $200-250. Same product.
Old 01-17-2016 | 12:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

one way
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2016 | 12:28 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mooty
one way
Yup - same as mine.
Old 01-17-2016 | 12:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Side mount up high also.Weight Offset by 2 -300 cu.ft. N tank on the opposite side. Tongue weight 950 lbs on a 28ft V-nose Pase.

NOTE: I've had a rack fall off the wall and damage the LF fender of my 6-cup years ago. I now thru-bolt each top corner of these racks thru the top framing plate on the sidewall using a carriage bolt outside 2 double locking nuts inside....
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2016 | 03:58 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Mine are like Mooty's and Rick's. Shoring beams in front and above the car. No problem after many years. Fits 8.
Old 01-17-2016 | 04:52 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

kind of off subject, but do any of you have fire suppression systems mounted in the trailer or at least one or two extinguishers? I was thinking of mounting a system in the trailer but didnt know what some of you that may have gone this route have done.
Old 01-17-2016 | 06:03 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
kind of off subject, but do any of you have fire suppression systems mounted in the trailer or at least one or two extinguishers? I was thinking of mounting a system in the trailer but didnt know what some of you that may have gone this route have done.
No built in suppression for my trailer but not a bad idea. I have suppression in the race car but it's not activate when in the trailer.
Trying to picture sources of a fire in the trailer, other than the car itself.
Overheated trailer bearings comes to mind. External sources (arson, lightning, etc.) too but I wonder if suppression could handle that much fire.
Sheesh, now you've got my risk management circuits thinking.
Old 01-17-2016 | 06:47 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
No built in suppression for my trailer but not a bad idea. I have suppression in the race car but it's not activate when in the trailer.
Trying to picture sources of a fire in the trailer, other than the car itself.
Overheated trailer bearings comes to mind. External sources (arson, lightning, etc.) too but I wonder if suppression could handle that much fire.
Sheesh, now you've got my risk management circuits thinking.
Start where you'd normally start - incidents per X, then determine whether the benefit outweighs the cost.

Given how long people have been doing this and how few people have fire suppression in their trailers, my gut tells me the cost/complexity of a full blown system isn't worth it.

Hand held bottles make sense though. Those pretty much always make sense.
Old 01-18-2016 | 09:58 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Default Tire Racks

I use the Pit Pal racks. Work great. Be sure to measure the height of your car and make sure you give yourself as much room at the top for tire height as you can given car height. Otherwise you will find it difficult to roll them in. Switching from Hoosiers to thicker slicks I wish I had an extra inch. (where have I been told that before?)

I carry four sets of tires plus some loose ones stacked in the front that won't fit on my girlfriends trailer.

Try to put some foam padding on the corners. You tend to bang you head on the edge. I have some padding in one of my closets that I have been meaning to use for this purpose for three years. I am sure I will get around to it.

I never went with the shoring beams for two reasons. I wanted to be able to walk upright around my trailer and I didn't want to hang potentially gravel laden tires over my car.
Old 01-19-2016 | 05:29 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Originally Posted by dan212

Try to put some foam padding on the corners. You tend to bang you head on the edge. I have some padding in one of my closets that I have been meaning to use for this purpose for three years. I am sure I will get around to it.
And make sure you insert the bolts from the outside in. A buddy of mine about poked his eye on one that was inserted from the inside out on a trailer they purchased.
Old 01-20-2016 | 02:32 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

The 4' racks are a good deal at Amazon:

Amazon.com: Pit Posse 576 4' Folding Adjustable Tire Rack Holder Aluminum Enclosed Race Trailer Shop Garage Storage Organizer: Automotive Amazon.com: Pit Posse 576 4' Folding Adjustable Tire Rack Holder Aluminum Enclosed Race Trailer Shop Garage Storage Organizer: Automotive
Old 01-20-2016 | 02:45 AM
winders
Race Car

I prefer these racks:

http://pitproducts.com/collections/t...deluxe-flip-up

Quick Reply: How to store wheel/tire in a trailer