Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Great choice!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Ended up buying a 2015 Base Cayman. A few options, including X73, 6mt. 900 miles, CPO. Not the most exciting Porsche but I am in love with the 981 platform and it will serve my needs well for now.
Great choice! Once you figure out how nimble and agile they are, you will find it very exciting. We have a similar Boxster and I love it.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:19 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Ended up buying a 2015 Base Cayman. A few options, including X73, 6mt. 900 miles, CPO. Not the most exciting Porsche but I am in love with the 981 platform and it will serve my needs well for now.
Congrats on the new car! I think you made a great choice, but I suppose I'm a little biased here haha The base 981 is a great track car
Old 01-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

The base comes alive when you use all of the RPM range, as soon as you feel it's broken in flog her good!
Old 01-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice! Congrats.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:45 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks all. Haven't had the chance to drive it much but what little time I have has been very fun. Power not overwhelming (although it does like the upper rpm range) but the suspension/handling sure feels promising. I'm really in love with the chassis and styling. Although I drove several PDK cars (and it really is an amazing transmission), I just don't think I'm ready for that yet. Since 95% of my driving will still be street, I will enjoy having 3 pedals to play with.

I am dropping it off on Tuesday for full clear bra treatment. Haven't even read what the break in recommendations are but i will take it easy for a bit and look forward to finding a track day in the coming months. Will enjoy as is for some time but long-term wish list would be... 1) PSE 2) 6 piston brake upgrade from Suncoast 3) LSD. Will have to look into a harness or roll bar and hoping my Racetech Halo will work. Maybe some day I can save up the money for a 3.8 swap.

Thanks for all of the comments.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:26 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3) LSD.
Recommend Guard Transmission (GTgears on RL) for your LSD.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:34 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks all. Haven't had the chance to drive it much but what little time I have has been very fun. Power not overwhelming (although it does like the upper rpm range) but the suspension/handling sure feels promising. I'm really in love with the chassis and styling. Although I drove several PDK cars (and it really is an amazing transmission), I just don't think I'm ready for that yet. Since 95% of my driving will still be street, I will enjoy having 3 pedals to play with.

I am dropping it off on Tuesday for full clear bra treatment. Haven't even read what the break in recommendations are but i will take it easy for a bit and look forward to finding a track day in the coming months. Will enjoy as is for some time but long-term wish list would be... 1) PSE 2) 6 piston brake upgrade from Suncoast 3) LSD. Will have to look into a harness or roll bar and hoping my Racetech Halo will work. Maybe some day I can save up the money for a 3.8 swap.

The Porsche manual for the U.S. says to keep rpm's below 4200 for the first 2k miles and to also vary the rpm - ie avoid long stretches in cruise control at a constant speed. There's plenty of debate about how necessary those steps are, and I'm not qualified to say for sure what the right answer is. For what it's worth I basically did my best to keep the rpm's low until I did the first oil change just before 2k miles, and since then I've just been driving it and enjoying the car on the street and at the track.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted... affordable DD/DE car