Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted... affordable DD/DE car

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:25 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I would add that PDK allows the finite concentration capability (that almost all drivers are limited by) to be focused on higher-brain, outside-of-the-car concepts and tasks. It's been a great boon to a lot of novice and very experienced drivers, even if it is without romance!

The craft of shifting up and down adds significantly (and not immeasurably) to the "headroom" required to conduct the car around the track quickly and with great quality. Still worthwhile if that is important to you.

The second point Frank makes is VERY true. Seen this a LOT, unfortunately. That said, if drivers work hard and perfect shifting procedures, both up and down, as well as shift with decisiveness and authority (just look at some of the pros videos), it can be satisfying and safe to the engine.

Just more data points! Have fun, whatever your choice!
Well said. I recently did a days worth of "thrill rides" for the new McLaren store in a 650S. I never took it out of auto. I changed the settings a few times but I always let the car do the work for me. I had the advantage of taking one of the McLaren engineers for a few rides and he got a kick out of me letting the car shift for me. I told him his hard work paid off and the car was better than me.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
I told him his hard work paid off and the car was better than me.
Hahaha! It's a tough leap to say that, for some...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-31-2015, 05:03 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
I would even consider a base 987.2, they have the same brakes and suspension as the S.
Didn't know about this. If they also have a DFI engine, then that's the no-brainer choice for the OP.

As others mentioned, 986 and 987.1 would be great choices, too -- maybe add a deeper (Mantis?) oil sump if worried about oil starvation -- or just never put anything stickier than Nittos -- and you're good to go.

I went from Green to Black with my 987.1 Boxster S over 40k backroad/track miles stock (just pads and track wheels + Nittos) without a single issue -- bone dry, not a drop of oil, and never had to add any oil (changed once a year). If well driven, it holds its own with the fastest in Black on technical tracks -- stock, then drive back home with the top down. (I miss that car.)

EDIT: I'd stick with a stick (pun intended) unless driving on clogged highways is a must. Much more fun on backroads and track.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:38 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

I really appreciate all of the comments. I need to go drive a .2 Cayman and/or Boxster so I'll try to find some time this weekend.

As some of the cars in my sig hint at, I was very into DE/TT for several years. I have backed off in the past 2-3 years as my children have gotten a little older and we are involved with their activities. I don't anticipate more than a few DE's a year but, like most people, once I'm at the track I get re-infected with the bug so if I'm going to buy something, I better find something I like. I have never driven a PDK car. I did have a nice e92 M3 DCT ZCP but I never took it to the track. Nice car, great motor, but the DCT left me feeling a little unengaged.

I am not worried about money shifts. All of the GT3's I owned saw track time and I ran in advanced run groups. All my DME reports looked just fine when I was done with the cars:-) I think 3 pedal driving is really rewarding but, again, I have never driven a dual clutch car on a track.

I live in SoCal so the Boxster might be a fun car to own for street duties but I really like having a roof over my head on the track and I have always tried to make safety a priority when I have driven on track.

Time to go drive some cars:-)

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2016, 12:50 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

There are several aftermarket hard top options due to Spec Boxster.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:41 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

DD/DE in SoCal? I would lean hard towards PDK. I spent many hours in SoCal traffic driving manuals and it does wear on you.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
I love the Cayman's but I'm a bit leery of the motor. Local PCA'er just popped the motor in hers, despite all the oiling mods being done.

996's are cheap but have the same issues, another local PCA'er popped the motor on his, again despite having all the IMS/RMS, etc, etc, done.
996 non GT3 needs ims done. but i think within his price range
gen 2 motors only glow with driver error. no oil ing issue period.
extremely durable even in enduros

2016 MX-5 Club - I really like these, just afraid I'm going to be really disappointed by the power after being in Porsches for so long. Like that you get an LSD and there is a Brembo/BBS package, warranty.
====> have one. buy the boxster and thank me later. or buy NA miata, way cheaper same fun.

E46 M3 - have owned several, nice cars but kind of been there, done that.
===> get E92 then.

987.1 Cayman S/Boxster S - motor scares me but good value if you aren't one of the unlucky ones.
===> some say they work. i had 6. they dont work. if you do the right mods, steering, deep sump, etc etc, your base cost is not much lower than DFI cars.

987.2 Cayman S/Boxster S - still a little on the high side price-wise but do like.
==> save up for them. over time it's cheaper. with all things porsche, you know, it's pay NOW or pay LATER, pay pay pay and keep paying. porsche and pay both starts with "P" for a reason..

STI - ?
===> well done, it's great. well done, it's very $$$, poorly done, overheats. poorly done, it's veyr $$$ b/c it blows up.

Golf R - not a big fan of the 4-door.
===> meh.

Other ideas/thoughts?
===> nope, you didn't want american. z06 cheap you have to do some mods.
===> spec boxster ? it's well poplulated class in POC in your area. literally cost next to nothing to run.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:22 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding the new Miata, I'd recommend holding off until we see how they hold up on track, especially in hot conditions. I read at least one review that reported very high oil, transmission and differential fluid temps on track, in relatively mild conditions. I believe the MX5 Cup adds multiple heat exchangers not found on the street car, so it may need some mods for the kind of hard track use that an experienced driver like you will put on it.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:25 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

For the money an M3. E36,46,92 pick one.

Or get any GT3.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:16 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Evo = 4 doors and can be made very quick for the track. Tons of proven mods too.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:30 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never driven a PDK car.

Time to go drive some cars:-)

Happy New Year![/QUOTE]

Drive a PDK before making a decision. 2010 onward for engine woe's to go away.

The top down on a Boxster may be just the ticket in CA. You may even be able to find groups that allow that 'misbehaviour' on track. Got away with that here and it was a blast!

Miss that car...
Old 01-04-2016, 01:19 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Went a drove a few cars while I was over in Scottsdale for the weekend...

2009 Boxster S PDK, 66k miles, $25k. Suspension felt worn out, exterior full of rock chips. Pass.

2012 Boxster S PDK Black Edition, 45k miles, $45k. Nice car, too bad it wreaked of smoke from PO. Buttery smooth shifting from PDK but definitely felt the lack of chassis rigidity of the convertible.

2014 Cayman S Manual, 15k miles, literally zero options, $55k. My favorite by far but 1) not sure I want to spend that much and 2) not the color combo for me. I think these will be closer to $50k soon.

Does anyone know, based on experience, how much stiffer the 981 Boxster feels compared to 987?
Old 01-04-2016, 01:22 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

P.S. - I drove straight from the Porsche dealer to my buddy's house where he insisted that I drive his 2015 911 Turbo S... boy was that a mistake. Holy smokes that car is fast.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:09 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Well, CA real estate has eaten up what used to be the money I got to use to play in Porsches. Now looking for a fun, reliable, and relatively inexpensive car that will be primarily a DD but that I hope to be able to use for an occasional DE.

Assuming $25-35k budget and no American cars, interested in forum members' thoughts. I am considering:

2016 MX-5 Club - I really like these, just afraid I'm going to be really disappointed by the power after being in Porsches for so long. Like that you get an LSD and there is a Brembo/BBS package, warranty.

E46 M3 - have owned several, nice cars but kind of been there, done that.

987.1 Cayman S/Boxster S - motor scares me but good value if you aren't one of the unlucky ones.

987.2 Cayman S/Boxster S - still a little on the high side price-wise but do like.

STI - ?

Golf R - not a big fan of the 4-door.

Other ideas/thoughts?
Id up the budget and look for a Cayman PDK.

Otherwise a 964 or 993.

E46 is obvious choice for the dollar, but you have been there done that.
Im not into the STI or EVO sceen, but they are decent.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I miss the memo explaining that Porsche and BMW consumables and repair parts are affordable? What do rotors, wheels, tires and more common repair parts cost? How many hours can you expect to get out of components like tires, rotors, hubs, brake pads, clutches, transmissions, engines? I can go buy an ex GT1 or Trans Am car for not too far from $30K but OMG that car will eat you alive to operate.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted... affordable DD/DE car