Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted... affordable DD/DE car

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015 | 08:25 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I love the Cayman's but I'm a bit leery of the motor. Local PCA'er just popped the motor in hers, despite all the oiling mods being done.

996's are cheap but have the same issues, another local PCA'er popped the motor on his, again despite having all the IMS/RMS, etc, etc, done.
Old 12-30-2015 | 08:28 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
Not a HORRIBLE DD, but C5 Z06. I know you stated no American cars. But, I got into one after many years of BMWs, looking for that "something different" experience. Boy, was it different! I discovered TORQUE. 405HP/405lb/ft. 30mpg on the highway heading to/from the track.

You can find them for $15k-$20k all day long. Throw about $4k at it in light suspension, brake pads, radiator with oil cooler, and tires. Cat-back exhaust just for the auditory bliss. Done. A bit of a He-Man car on the track, but lots of fun.

Just throwing it out there...
I think it's something to consider, I have found myself wanting another now that mine is a full ST1 build. Super easy to live with if you can handle the sleaze factor. (Before mine was a full race build my wife wouldn't even ride in it ) With the mentioned mods above none of the other cars mentioned could stay with it. The 30 mpg is true also.
Old 12-30-2015 | 09:12 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Its for me, not her:-)

Do you sell an LSD for the Cayman/Boxster?
We make diffs for all of them. I can steer you towards one of my dealers when you get to that point. Stay away from the factory units. They are useless. 22/27 locking factor isn't even good for mud and ice. Napleton sold dozens on them to unsuspecting people as they closed up shop.
Old 12-30-2015 | 10:08 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

987.2 stretch the budget and do it right.
Old 12-31-2015 | 01:10 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Every once in a while I think about something like a Z06 Vette. I agree, lots of bang for the money. I just mentioned the above comments to my wife and she said, "no way, brings down the value of the house." Haha. At any rate, if going that route, I'd have to have another daily. They just aren't me at all.

Would love a .2 Cayman S but I don't think stretching the budget to get one would leave me any room for track mods.
Old 12-31-2015 | 01:15 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Yuuuuuup!
Old 12-31-2015 | 02:19 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Prefer Cayman but CPO'd

http://www.porschescottsdale.com/det...-14465462.html

or...

http://www.porschescottsdale.com/det...-14434033.html

Not sure how I feel about PDK.

I am headed to Scottsdale for the weekend. Does PCA let you run Boxsters for DE these days?
Old 12-31-2015 | 07:53 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

E92 M3. Killer V8, great on track and great DD. 28-35K buys a very nice example.
Old 12-31-2015 | 08:33 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Not sure how I feel about PDK.
What's not to like. Faster too.

Originally Posted by tlaeoque
I am headed to Scottsdale for the weekend. Does PCA let you run Boxsters for DE these days?
Each track has its own rules based on insurance requirements and state law. Some places allow convertibles, most have rules specific to open top cars. I believe this has nothing to do with PCA. Don't know the rules for any west coast tracks, but talk to the track chair at the local PCA chapter for that info.
Old 12-31-2015 | 09:36 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I see boxsters at every pca event here.
Old 12-31-2015 | 10:47 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure how I feel about PDK. Does PCA let you run Boxsters for DE these days?
If your goal is to go fast quickly, PDK is for you. If you are more interested in developing a skill and learning to perfect a craft, go with the 6 speed. For all tracks that I know of, Boxsters pass the "broomstick test" which has to show that your head does not protrude above the windshield/rollbar in case of a rollover.

BTW - several very experienced people have told me hat most engines that fail on track are due to over revs caused by money (down) shifts and have nothing to do with the car itself. PDK would obviously prevent that from happening.
Old 12-31-2015 | 11:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
If your goal is to go fast quickly, PDK is for you. If you are more interested in developing a skill and learning to perfect a craft, go with the 6 speed.

most engines that fail on track are due to over revs caused by money (down) shifts and have nothing to do with the car itself. PDK would obviously prevent that from happening.
I would add that PDK allows the finite concentration capability (that almost all drivers are limited by) to be focused on higher-brain, outside-of-the-car concepts and tasks. It's been a great boon to a lot of novice and very experienced drivers, even if it is without romance!

The craft of shifting up and down adds significantly (and not immeasurably) to the "headroom" required to conduct the car around the track quickly and with great quality. Still worthwhile if that is important to you.

The second point Frank makes is VERY true. Seen this a LOT, unfortunately. That said, if drivers work hard and perfect shifting procedures, both up and down, as well as shift with decisiveness and authority (just look at some of the pros videos), it can be satisfying and safe to the engine.

Just more data points! Have fun, whatever your choice!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-31-2015 | 12:27 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The second point Frank makes is VERY true. Seen this a LOT, unfortunately. That said, if drivers work hard and perfect shifting procedures, both up and down, as well as shift with decisiveness and authority (just look at some of the pros videos), it can be satisfying and safe to the engine.

Just more data points! Have fun, whatever your choice!
I've been doing this for years and I still have to tell myself "wait for it, wait for it..." as I'm slowing down in a braking zone with a downshift. Car is a whole lot happier with the downshift at the end of the braking zone rather than near the beginning.

I like rowing my own, but I've had students with DCTs, so I understand the attraction. However, they are missing out on learning heel-toe. YMMV.

-Mike
Old 12-31-2015 | 12:40 PM
acropora157
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
+1 on the above. It's worth every penny more !
Old 12-31-2015 | 12:41 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Would love a .2 Cayman S but I don't think stretching the budget to get one would leave me any room for track mods.
The beauty of a 987.2 is that you don't need any track mods right away, these cars are amazing. If you haven't driven a Cayman on the track do it ASAP. Aside from safety a set of track wheels/tries and GT3 LCA will get you pretty far.

I would even consider a base 987.2, they have the same brakes and suspension as the S.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted... affordable DD/DE car