Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Cayman Interseries - preventative maintenance suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016 | 12:43 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Nick, like I said, we're cool. We just had a definition disconnect.
Old 01-01-2016 | 02:38 PM
obsessedone
Racer

Re: LSD - the Guard LSD is great but does wear like everything else. I had the unit on my 2012 Interseries Cayman rebuilt after 65 track days (race & DE) when I started to notice increasing tail wag when braking hard at end of high speed straights. Glad I rebuilt it, big difference immediately noticeable, under hard braking car tracked straight as an arrow, increasing confidence in those brake zones. Done another 40 days since then and it is holding up well, but I assume I will likely be doing another rebuild sometime this season.
Old 01-01-2016 | 06:42 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Hi Nick. Happy New Year!! You've gotten a lot of good advice above. For my .02 I'll tell you that much has been learned about the 987 platform since your car was built. Many wear items that were previously unknown have been discovered. Tweaks have been made to the suspension and alignment settings. Many of the components in your car have been upgraded in the more current 987 race builds. I would strongly encourage you to talk to Speedsport (they built my car) or Musante if you're looking for someone fairly close to home. Those two shops have built and serviced a ton of cars like yours. I'm confident your car will run better and more reliably if you let a good shop go through it for you. If you'd like more detailed information feel free to PM me and we can take the discussion offline.

BTW, after 45 track days in my Cayman I had my early generation Guard LSD (the same as yours) removed and sent to them for rebuilding. They told me it sill looked like new and they simply modified the ramps to the current specs for our cars. I've put another 40 days on it since then and it's still running perfectly well. Of course, if I was a faster driver that might be a different story...
Old 01-01-2016 | 09:21 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Consider also putting a trans pump in as well as the front cooler. the car is most often at wide open throttle and therefore the fluid in the trans spends much of it time on the rear diff and nt where it belongs in the trans. The pump helps that problem of overheating metallurgy. Have you also considered rebuilding your JRZ's, the fluid needs to be replaced and can probably benefit by re-valving at the same time.
Old 01-02-2016 | 05:12 PM
spencercox
Track Day

Default Maintenance

I have only glanced some of these responses. The guard diff is all but Bullitt proof. The first round the ramps were set differently. Easy to swap and inspect. The diff cooler is manditory. The temps go to 315 degrees. I have a kit that I use. The control arms and bearings should be timed out. Shocks should be rebuilt and upgraded to our new specs. Change oil very often !!!!! Call me for any questions . Any time.

Spencer ***. SpeedSport

Originally Posted by nshanny
Hi there,

It has been a while since posting a new thread, but lurking is always fun. :-)

I have a 2011 Cayman Interseries (Apple Livery) and am looking for advice/suggestions from this group. For the past 3 years very little has been done to the car outside of normal track maintenance (oil/brake/fluids/tires). I change the oil every other track event (unless a 3 day, then right after). Brake fluid follows a similar pattern.

I am now looking to replace all of my racing belts, check the LSD since they have been known to crap out (Guards), check the shocks, plus normal track wear/tear checks. Historically my LSD fluid has run "Hot", but I have the rear cooler and it does not seem to follow any rhyme or reason when it decides to run hot.

The question I have is "what else"? It is winter, the car is in the shop, and I enjoy the fact that the car runs without drama.

Cheers and thanks
Nick
Old 01-03-2016 | 01:01 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

4 years is a lifetime,

Fuel pumps, bearings, axles, diff rebuild, damper upgrade/service, ball joints. These are all things we do every winter on our cars.

Call Spencer up!
Old 01-03-2016 | 03:36 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Listen to Spencer, he's know his sh$&.
Old 01-04-2016 | 06:42 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

All good advice here, and the Guard LSD is good stuff.

Spencer is referring to the lower control arms (aka 'LCAs') which are definitely a wear item and, if you don't know their age, should be replaced. Failure of this part tends to be sudden and potentially catastrophic. Same part on all four corners, the ends of which contain the 'ball joints' that Olsen mentioned.

The thrust arms and toe control arms should be ok, but check your outer tie rods to confirm that the boots are intact.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayman Interseries - preventative maintenance suggestions