Rennlist Member

Thumbs down The right lane has become the fast lane: Peter Egan nails it

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...erican-driver/
Old 12-21-2015 | 09:07 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

So true...

Just added one of these to my car... (on the left rear side window, of course)

http://www.blipshift.com/products/gtfo-sticker
Old 12-21-2015 | 09:20 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Ain't that the truth.

No lie, coming home from TWS yesterday pulling the trailer. After a track weekend, I usually take it easy going home - set up camp in the right lane with the cruise set on 70. The speed limit is 75 for much of the TX-6 leg. The road two lanes each way divided highway.

Even at 5 under the limit I started catching cars in the right lane, but being in the right lane didn't really matter as there was a TX Pacer leading up the left lane keeping perfect pace with the car in the right lane. The right lane car slows to 65 and our pacer keeps perfect sync.

Long story short, I finally get an opportunity to get behind the Pacer and we play his game. We catch a couple of semis going 60 and he actually passes them at 61 MPH . After an eternity, he moves over! Finally, and I start speeding up. At 70, the truck gets by him, but then he is pacing the fvcking trailer. Ok, step it up to 75, still freaking there. I'm sure as hell not getting behind him, and there is a stack of people behind me, so I put the pedal down and finally am able to move over, with a about a car length of clearance behind the trailer. Look down at the speedo and I'm going 92 .

This. Happens. Every. Time on the way home lately. It didn't used to. One the two lane stretches, it was actually very common for slow cars to move over on the paved shoulder to let people by. Almost never happens anymore.

I don't know what is so hard about lead, follow, or get out of the way. It's just common courtesy, but people these days are too busy thinking about themselves or too stupid to set the cruise control which comes in just about every car these days.

Off the and rant off.

PS. There is one bright spot in the country. I-30 between Texarkana, TX and Little Rock, AR has fantastic lane discipline for some reason. This highway is very busy with semis, but if they aren't passing, they are all in the right lane. Whey they pass, the passed semi flashes lights when the passer just clears and the passer moves back in the right lane with about a car length's clearance. It's magical. Been through there 4 times in the last two years and it's the same every time. Nobody camps out in the left lane. Go figure.

-Mike
Old 12-21-2015 | 09:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Obliviousness and self-righteousness.
Old 12-21-2015 | 09:34 AM
SoClose
Racer

A lot different than when we grew up in the Phila area, VR!
If someone was holding you up in the left lane, it was flashing high beams , leaning on the horn, and the finger when we went by.
Now, that would put us in jail.
Old 12-21-2015 | 09:43 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

LOL or get you shot at!
Old 12-21-2015 | 10:10 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

I grew up in Michigan- people driving slow in left lane would be pulled out of car beaten and thrown off a bridge. Not too many folks in MT - ones that drive slow stay in right lane.
Phi
Old 12-21-2015 | 10:15 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoClose
A lot different than when we grew up in the Phila area, VR!
If someone was holding you up in the left lane, it was flashing high beams , leaning on the horn, and the finger when we went by.
Now, that would put us in jail.
That still goes on here. Lots of the self righteous type policing the left lane right at the speed limit but if you maintain a good closing speed in a 3/4 tom Suburban most of them will move over.
Old 12-21-2015 | 10:26 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
I grew up in Michigan- people driving slow in left lane would be pulled out of car beaten and thrown off a bridge. Not too many folks in MT - ones that drive slow stay in right lane.
Phi
Sadly no longer the case... and now they're as likely as not to self-righteously brake-check you if you display displeasure in any way...
Old 12-21-2015 | 10:27 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

OBVIOUSNESS, SLOTH AND SELF-RIGHTEOUSNESS. YES, THE THREE DEADLY TRAFFIC SINS.
How many times is someone asleep at a light, you tap the horn after being patient, and than they give you the finger? Where is personal responsibility?

I did notice when I drove to Tennessee this summer that when a sign was put up saying a lane was closed everyone started getting over in advance of the merge so there was not a bottle neck. In the NY metro area people will drive right up to the merge sign and then cut in.

I think everyone should have a one shot paint cannon mounted to the front of their car and no one can tell if you have used it or not. It would make everyone super polite.
Old 12-21-2015 | 10:35 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
After an eternity, he moves over! Finally, and I start speeding up. At 70, the truck gets by him, but then he is pacing the fvcking trailer. Ok, step it up to 75, still freaking there. I'm sure as hell not getting behind him, and there is a stack of people behind me, so I put the pedal down and finally am able to move over, with a about a car length of clearance behind the trailer. Look down at the speedo and I'm going 92 .
I have perfected the art of the "waggle". Usually scares them into submission.
Old 12-21-2015 | 10:40 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by John H
I have perfected the art of the "waggle". Usually scares them into submission.

That made me laugh so hard I cried.

-Mike
Old 12-21-2015 | 11:25 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

It truly is disgusting out there these days. I live on Long Island. Quite possibly the Self-righteous driving capital of the world. I can not remember the last time I closed-up on someone in the left lane and witnessed them signal, move right and allowed me to pass. It simply does not happen! You are forced to move right yourself, making sure there isn't another car moving left at the same time. So, you have to monitor 2-3 lanes of traffic to make a pass, instead of 1 lane. It's crazy! I have simply grown to accept it now. I used to get insanely frustrated and upset about it. I never got all road-raged, but I would let it bother me. Now, I just sigh and move-on. It's sad, really, because everyone always complains about the horrible traffic on Long Island. The reality is that the roads aren't to blame, it's the drivers. And no matter how many lanes are added, the roads will be congested due to the poor driving skills of its inhabitants.
Old 12-21-2015 | 11:37 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Sadly no longer the case... and now they're as likely as not to self-righteously brake-check you if you display displeasure in any way...
And to make matters worse.....those are the drivers that merge onto the highway, put on their left hand blinker, and regardless of traffic, move directly 3 lanes across and into the left lane.
Old 12-21-2015 | 12:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
It truly is disgusting out there these days. I live on Long Island. Quite possibly the Self-righteous driving capital of the world. I can not remember the last time I closed-up on someone in the left lane and witnessed them signal, move right and allowed me to pass. It simply does not happen! You are forced to move right yourself, making sure there isn't another car moving left at the same time. So, you have to monitor 2-3 lanes of traffic to make a pass, instead of 1 lane. It's crazy! I have simply grown to accept it now. I used to get insanely frustrated and upset about it. I never got all road-raged, but I would let it bother me. Now, I just sigh and move-on. It's sad, really, because everyone always complains about the horrible traffic on Long Island. The reality is that the roads aren't to blame, it's the drivers. And no matter how many lanes are added, the roads will be congested due to the poor driving skills of its inhabitants.
It's the exact same here in Austin. Lots of self-righteous self-entitled narcissists

Quick Reply: The right lane has become the fast lane: Peter Egan nails it