Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track fuel prices, ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 06:31 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

My biggest complaint is my fuchin credit cards seem to cut me off at 75.00. At 8 bucks plus a gallon it sometimes takes me 3 transactions to complete a fill up and a few jugs at the self serve places like summit and VIR.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:45 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

you might try looking where the airboats get their gas... most are running 110 av gas. but often sell 98.

in miami, dade corners (41 & 27) sells to airboats, and I think there was a station off sr 60 near river ranch.

has any one tried sebring airport?

as long as its not used on the street it should be legal.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
My biggest complaint is my fuchin credit cards seem to cut me off at 75.00. At 8 bucks plus a gallon it sometimes takes me 3 transactions to complete a fill up and a few jugs at the self serve places like summit and VIR.
Heh. You said jugs.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:20 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Living in Southern California I feel your pain.

But I am reminded of a question:

What part of racing a Porsche is inexpensive? The racing part or the Porsche part? Out here there is a couple of stations selling 106 racing gas. At 2X of the retail price of super.
At 2x premium for 106, that is dirt cheap, ~$6.00/gal
Old 12-17-2015, 09:31 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,394 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
My biggest complaint is my credit card company assuming anyone buying a few hundred dollars worth of gas over the course of a weekend must be a crook and turning off my card!

Yeah I've called them in advance and no it doesn't work. Now I try to use different cards each time.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
My biggest complaint is my credit card company assuming anyone buying a few hundred dollars worth of gas over the course of a weekend must be a crook and turning off my card! Yeah I've called them in advance and no it doesn't work. Now I try to use different cards each time.
Do you have the newer chipped cards yet? That should help/eliminate that issue.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:48 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

There's a race supply shop near us that sells race fuel to the local circle track racers. I've bought full 55 gal drums from them before....but I recommend DO NOT do that. Paid for 55 gallons, only pumped out 49 to empty and it was a sealed drum when I got it. Was told later " yeah, they usually never fill it completely!!" Wtf?? So now I fill my car and six 5 gallon jugs - 110 octane. Doesn't make it through the weekend, but it's close.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 12-17-2015, 10:10 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,394 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Do you have the newer chipped cards yet? That should help/eliminate that issue.
Most of them switched over to chips in the last couple of months. At Daytona in October I kept switching the cards out each day.

Curious if what you say will work in the future.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:20 AM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"has any one tried sebring airport?"

We buy av gas from the airport all the time. Usually pumping it into jugs but last time I drove over, parked at the pump and filled 'er up.

It helps to have a pilots license but usually no questions asked.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:59 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

COTA was charging 5-6 bucks for gas on site. There's an exxon 1/4 mile down the road at market prices but I think they pay the track to slow down the pumps to a crawl on 93 octane only on track days. Sucks.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:22 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
My biggest complaint is my credit card company assuming anyone buying a few hundred dollars worth of gas over the course of a weekend must be a crook and turning off my card!

Yeah I've called them in advance and no it doesn't work. Now I try to use different cards each time.
Few hundred bucks a weekend? How many sessions do you drive?
Old 12-19-2015, 01:04 PM
rkeele66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in S. Cal we have been paying $9.50 to $10 per gallon forever no change at the track or wherever you go for 100 oct. we just suck it up and pay
Old 12-20-2015, 09:40 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DanS911
"has any one tried sebring airport?"

We buy av gas from the airport all the time. Usually pumping it into jugs but last time I drove over, parked at the pump and filled 'er up.

It helps to have a pilots license but usually no questions asked.
Just had a discussion with a well known tuner and a fuel rep. Was told by the fuel guy that 100LL AV gas is not a good fuel for race cars. He said it is formulated for lower revving air cooled engines typically operating at higher altitude (12,000' baseline) and it will affect oxygen sensors despite being low lead. He suggested using good quality 93 pump gas with the Race-Gas additive or the Torco additive. Think it's only sold by companies like Summit. The tuner said he would only use the Race-Gas additive if someone is trying to save a little money although he still suggests VP race gas. At current costs the Race-Gas method brings the price in around $6.00 a gal.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:37 AM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hi. I've been told that about Avgas also by various race fuel reps (that it's not good for high compression race engines, etc). but I've also talked to lots of vintage and FF racers that have used it for years. my car is a Lotus Super Seven with a crossflow 1.6 (formula ford engine) with 11.8:1 compression, ported head, dual Weber DCOE40s, cam, etc. etc. since 1995 I've ran it on 100 LL Avgas (which is actually fairly high in lead!). it will definitely damage O2 sensors in the long run (my Lotus has none; when I'm tuning it I use one but remove it after I'm done). I don't know if my engine qualifies as "high revving" nowadays, but I shift between 6500 and 7200 rpm typically. in 20 yrs I've never had a fuel related failure or problem (plugs always look great -- no detonation. pistons look great too). many of the vintage guys run Avgas, especially as some use their cars on the street for fall day drives and nice buzzing around cars, and having 'real' race fuel on had is tough. a small added benefit of the Avgas is that it has special stabilizers in it and will not go stale for a long time. I've used Avgas that was in my tanks after 3 years and ran just as well as fresh Avgas (my car was down for 3 years due to an accident years ago).

I sometimes wonder if the fuel reps perpetuate this story, and that it gets around... but, to each his own, and make your own decisions, etc. YMMV!!!! (pun intended haha)
Old 12-20-2015, 08:44 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by d15b7
hi. I've been told that about Avgas also by various race fuel reps (that it's not good for high compression race engines, etc). but I've also talked to lots of vintage and FF racers that have used it for years. my car is a Lotus Super Seven with a crossflow 1.6 (formula ford engine) with 11.8:1 compression, ported head, dual Weber DCOE40s, cam, etc. etc. since 1995 I've ran it on 100 LL Avgas (which is actually fairly high in lead!). it will definitely damage O2 sensors in the long run (my Lotus has none; when I'm tuning it I use one but remove it after I'm done). I don't know if my engine qualifies as "high revving" nowadays, but I shift between 6500 and 7200 rpm typically. in 20 yrs I've never had a fuel related failure or problem (plugs always look great -- no detonation. pistons look great too). many of the vintage guys run Avgas, especially as some use their cars on the street for fall day drives and nice buzzing around cars, and having 'real' race fuel on had is tough. a small added benefit of the Avgas is that it has special stabilizers in it and will not go stale for a long time. I've used Avgas that was in my tanks after 3 years and ran just as well as fresh Avgas (my car was down for 3 years due to an accident years ago).

I sometimes wonder if the fuel reps perpetuate this story, and that it gets around... but, to each his own, and make your own decisions, etc. YMMV!!!! (pun intended haha)
I kinda mis-stated what I was told. The fuel rep did not say it was bad other then the oxygen sensor issue, what he said was just because it was 100 octane didn't mean the formulation yielded good HP in race applications. He said if it was that simple companies like VP wouldn't offer the zillion formulations shown in their brochure. The only way I can see to find out for sure is to run back to back testing with various fuels with someone like John Behe on his dyno.

Quick Reply: Track fuel prices, ripoff?