Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in driving an older 911 and a SPB.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 01:22 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

^ Don't tell Paolo about the tight panties.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:41 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

In all seriousness, I would say being confident/consistent on your line and brake/throttle inputs pay dividends in these cars. the less 'wheeling' and 'pedaling' of the car the better. 911's are made to throttle steer, SPB's not so much (no diff). The car likes gas when turning, doesn't like lifting of the gas so work out how to use the brake and gas pedals in a single motion when using them. Same goes for the steering wheel.

And lastly, all a brake pedal does is stop or slow a car down. So don't use it.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:27 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

A modern suspension pays huge dividends at Sebring = that and carrying more speed into the corners
Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
^ Don't tell Paolo about the tight panties.
I was going to say something like "much harder to drive an Spec Boxster because the high heels the driver is wearing get in the way". Boxster drivers tend to slow as the session goes on especially in the summer months because their panty hose under their nomex doesn't breathe well and leads to early fatigue, about the same time as the Toyos get greasy.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:20 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

^ John, so true. I need to wax my bikini line for VIR in particular.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:39 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Watched a few videos on youtube of the SPB races at Thunderbolt this past August.........

Now it all makes sense.......
Old 12-14-2015, 09:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Watched a few videos on youtube of the SPB races at Thunderbolt this past August.........

Now it all makes sense.......
Glen's is very good to watch as it shows that being smooth and consistent is quick. Not sure how that silver car, after Glen beat him out of the carousel, just blows right by him coming out of 11. Wish I could see throttle position but seems like he was flat from the kink before the bridge on out, but who knows..
Old 12-15-2015, 03:33 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Glen's is very good to watch as it shows that being smooth and consistent is quick. Not sure how that silver car, after Glen beat him out of the carousel, just blows right by him coming out of 11. Wish I could see throttle position but seems like he was flat from the kink before the bridge on out, but who knows..
Drafting......
Old 12-15-2015, 03:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Drafting......
I was thinking that... never could get crap out of my 911 but these little chixsters must create a giant vortex behind them, sucks you in and throws you right by!
Old 12-15-2015, 04:33 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice pick-up gary... trust me, I was thinking the same thing

Here's the cue for muller to tell me to change my exit trajectory out of the octopus (which may in fact be part the explanation after reviewing the video with a few folks). There's a lot more to SPB than Matt's somewhat disingenuous comments about less brake and more gas.

You will learn in SPB is that extremely minor adjustments (not binding the wheel and letting the car roll out of the corner, extremely smooth brake release on entry, subtle adjustments in the attitude of the car at exit) can have huge consequences when 5 guys are within 1/10th of a second of each other.

I've looked at yonker's data and video on many occasions... and have even had heart-to-heart's with Peter Dawe about what he must secretly be doing to his golden boy's car that he wasn't doing to mine. I showed him data of yonker and me exiting corners (e.g. #5 at sebring), both of us going exactly the same speed at exactly the same point mid apex and exit, but him going 3-4 mph faster by the start of the braking zone. I was convinced my car was down on power. However, the answer in SPB usually lies within. SPB is the great equalizer and forces you to be truly honest about your own skills. Turns out, we were able to uncover Yonker's slightly different line, rotating the car earlier in the corner, his car subsequently pointing ever so slightly more straight down track at exit, earlier release and less binding of the wheel, resulted in more momentum and less resistance... After the revelation, I followed him a few times, and was able to (almost) make up the difference.

Very subtle differences... huge consequences. I've definitely become a better driver because the platform forces you to turn the blame internally rather than externally. I'm no longer at the tip of the spear (just perhaps one tick back from the elite guys), but I'm learning and getting better. It's like a masters class when you get behind one of these dudes (Gladwell, Oxner, Yonker, and yes Matt Muller). But, they are human... they can make mistakes, and then I'm right there to steal a few podiums when opportunity knocks.

G

Last edited by ninjabones; 12-15-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:43 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Gary - I'm in the 'silver' car. I can guarantee you that Glen's exit speed out of the octopus (carousel) was a couple mph down from his best. Glen had no choice but to take the defense line entering the head of the octopus which kills a bit of speed and then he was just off the apex at turn 11. Those two points, plus the advantage of drafting, meant I was able to make the pass. As Glen mentioned, every little bit counts in SPB. You have to be absolutely precise and consistent. There are 5-6 guys at every big race that can win. Glen's comments above are bang-on.

Last edited by jdistefa; 12-15-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:26 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones

Here's the cue for muller to tell me to change my exit trajectory out of the octopus (which may in fact be part the explanation after reviewing the video with a few folks). There's a lot more to SPB than Matt's somewhat disingenuous comments about less brake and more gas.
G
I agree with everything you say Glen. As I said before, line and pedal inputs are the biggest drivers of influence in the car.

Sorry you think I am disingenuous. But it's true. Mostly the brake for most, as most people don't have a problem with gas. It's simply the easiest way to say it.

And yes, I think your line in the exit of the octopus is wrong, but that just me. Your results may differ..........

See you at Sebring.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:16 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Having made the very same transition you will notice less feedback. The car is softer, the power steering takes away some sensation and the ABS is just too easy to use. It's just not as raw as you are used to.

That was my experience anyway.

And corner entry speed corner entry speed corner entry speed. You don't have the TQ or hp to recover from a mistake. That is not to say that an E car is a pure hp car but you do have a bit more that you may have relied on.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:51 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've definitely become a better driver because the platform forces you to turn the blame internally rather than externally.

^^ This should be why we race. Well Said!!

Nice pick-up gary... trust me, I was thinking the same thing

You will learn in SPB is that extremely minor adjustments (not binding the wheel and letting the car roll out of the corner, extremely smooth brake release on entry, subtle adjustments in the attitude of the car at exit) can have huge consequences when 5 guys are within 1/10th of a second of each other.

I've looked at yonker's data and video on many occasions... and have even had heart-to-heart's with peter dawe about what he must secretly be doing to his golden boy's car that he wasn't doing to mine. I showed him data of yonker and I exiting corners (e.g. #5 at sebring), both of us going exactly the same speed at exactly the same point mid apex and exit, but him going 3-4 mph faster by the start of the braking zone. I was convinced my car was down on power. However, the answer in SPB usually lies within. SPB is the great equalizer and forces you to be truly honest about your own skills. Turns out, we were able to uncover Yonker's slightly different line, rotating the car earlier in the corner, his car subsequently pointing ever so slightly straight down track at exit, earlier release and less binding of the wheel, resulted in better momentum and less resistance... After the revelation, I followed him a few times, and was able to (almost) make up the difference.

Very subtle differences... huge consequences. I've definitely become a better driver because the platform forces you to turn the blame internally rather than externally. I'm no longer at the tip of the spear (just perhaps one tick back from the elite guys), but I'm learning and getting better. It's like a masters class when you get behind one of these dudes (Gladwell, Oxner, Yonker, and yes Matt Muller). But, they are human... they can make mistakes, and then I' right there to steal a few podiums when the opportunity knocks.

G
Old 12-15-2015, 08:13 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

There's a lot more to SPB than Matt's somewhat disingenuous comments about less brake and more gas.
Great write up Glen, and glad I was able to stir the pot a little bit as it is WAY too quiet here.. As far as "Matt's somewhat disingenuous comments about less brake and more gas", I'M the disingenuous one here until proven otherwise!

Greatly looking forward to learning from you guys (seriously).. Matt (either one), would love to see in-car vids at LR, WGI, TBolt, or Summit if you wouldn't mind sharing!

Quick Reply: Difference in driving an older 911 and a SPB.....