Sponsored by:

Formula E announces 300kph 'RoboRace' championship

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015 | 02:19 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Default Formula E announces 300kph 'RoboRace' championship

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...cars-formula-e

The first global autonomous car racing championship will start in 2016, the creators of Formula E have announced.

Known as RoboRace, the series will see completely autonomous electric cars compete in one-hour races designed to test artificial intelligence.

Races, which will take place on the same day and circuits as the Formula E championship, will have 10 teams and 20 cars competing.

"In terms of technology we're trying to make them better than humans. So it means we expect the cars will have high acceleration and high speeds," Denis Sverdlov, from Kinetik, the company that will make all the cars, told WIRED.

"Even if the first race isn't going to be as high-speed as the current one can do, it is still going to be a huge achievement."

He said the cars would have top speeds of "more than 300kph (186mph)", but added they were still in the early stages of development. The races will see the electric battery-powered cars competing against each other for one hour.

The concept of the car has already been developed and will be "very different" to the designs of current race cars. There are also no safety issues for humans as the autonomous cars will be on the existing fenced-off race tracks used for Forumla E.

"We really need to try and imagine what a car will look like [not just] tomorrow but the day after tomorrow," Sverdlov said.

No teams have signed up to take part, but Alejandro Agag, CEO of Formula E, told WIRED he would like to see "all the companies that are working on driverless" be involved in the championship.

"Some of these companies are more adventurous than others, some just want to do a driverless system to park their car," he said. "But some want to do a proper driverless condition and they want to show it in extreme conditions, this is the place for them to be."

Agag listed Google, Uber, Continental and Bosh as some of the companies he would like to see involved in driverless racing.

Development of all the vehicles taking part in the championship will be handled by Kinetik, which has already developed electric trucks for UK roads. Individual companies competing will be tasked with creating their own algorithms and artificial intelligence to get the cars around the tracks.

Sverdlov told WIRED that his company had already created the initial software that will power the cars: "We've created the first version of the APIs, so the teams can start to use the APIs to do their algorithms and use the simulations to see how it works."

Mark Preston, from Team Aguri, one of the Formula E teams, welcomed the new race and said that testing autonomous vehicles in race situations could lead to more driverless technology spreading to other forms of racing, such as Formula One.

"Maybe we should have autonomous safety car, or a follow me function so when there are yellow flags the safety car could be autonomous and all the drivers could follow autonomously -- or may be the cars could go down the pit lane autonomous," he told WIRED.

Preston said autonomous racing will be exciting at the beginning as there will be mistakes and things will go wrong, plus the 'personality' that exists with current drivers will move to the teams and engineers.

As well as established companies it is planned that the races, which will start alongside the 2016/17 Forumla E season, will have one crowdsourced team.

Old 12-03-2015 | 01:47 PM
Cory M
Drifting

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz
Old 12-03-2015 | 01:56 PM
PPo
Drifting

If half the cars went clockwise, and the other half counter-clockwise, it would be much more interesting...

Or half the cars with humans, half the cars with robots. (Not cars with half humans... but Alex Zanardi would be a good choice. Let's make a car with a centaur for good measure.)
Old 12-03-2015 | 02:49 PM
winders
Race Car

I am not going to watch these races. I don't want to do anything that would support racing without human in-car drivers.
Old 12-03-2015 | 03:30 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

When I watched a Formula E race I thought, "this couldn't be any more boring." ....I stand corrected.
Old 12-03-2015 | 04:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
When I watched a Formula E race I thought, "this couldn't be any more boring." ....I stand corrected.
Mods can close the thread - this comment sums it all up.
Old 12-03-2015 | 07:34 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

"Maybe we should have autonomous safety car, or a follow me function so when there are yellow flags the safety car could be autonomous and all the drivers could follow autonomously -- or may be the cars could go down the pit lane autonomous," he told WIRED.

There is already precedence for this in the middle east, where camels are jockeyed by little remote control robots. And they say racing improves the breed, so I can see why the autonomous car engineers want to test their products but it's still a sad development.

If they stop F1 drivers from driving for part of the proceedings, I hope the announcers at least have the honesty to call them passengers.

And if we are all doomed to be passengers instead of drivers, can I be the first to nominate some of the well endowed beauties who star in the reaction vids on YouTube to take over the in-car camera roles?

Seriously though, it is one thing at a race meet waiting for 5 other series to finish with the track so you can have your next race, but having EVERY driver hanging around in the pits or paddock waiting for the #@&$%@ roboracers to finish their 1 hour enduro would really suck.

And how many more years before we'll need the equivalent of an F1 Superlicence and a commercial pilot's medical clearance before being allowed to operate a HOV (human operated vehicle / hazardous operator vehicle) even on our public roads?
Old 12-03-2015 | 07:36 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Will one bot throw his hat at the other one when he loses?
Old 12-03-2015 | 09:38 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Gentlemen, we've gone full circle. We started racing slot cars and now we (they) have moved on to full scale slot cars. The formula E series already has the exact sound of my old womp-womps. Pass.
Old 12-03-2015 | 09:44 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Spinout
Gentlemen, we've gone full circle. We started racing slot cars and now we (they) have moved on to full scale slot cars. The formula E series already has the exact sound of my old womp-womps. Pass.
No, at least we control(led) the slot cars we race(d). This is like slot cars that all we get to do is watch.....boring!!!

Quick Reply: Formula E announces 300kph 'RoboRace' championship