Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPSC2 wear pattern

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015 | 06:30 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Default MPSC2 wear pattern

Switched over to my winter setup today (oh, to live in California or Texas or the South and enjoy track season year round).

My current Sport Cup 2s have 8 heat cycles on them from 2 days at Lime Rock. LRP is almost entirely right-hand turns, so I expect more tire wear on the left side. The wear pattern on the left front is unusual, though. There is more wear on the outer edge of the tread, because I'm running stock camber (although I would think that PDCC should help offset this), but the outer wear is scalloped, showing progressively more wear toward the inner section of the outer tread blocks, then ending in a thin step-up lip of rubber at the innermost edge of the outer tread block section. Anyone seen this before? Is this wear pattern unique to the Sport Cup 2 with its differing tread compounds inner vs outer? Didn't notice this on my previous set, or on the Yokohama AD08Rs I ran before.

Hope it's visible from the pic:
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2015 | 09:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That looks like it was graining some. Too much sliding.
Old 11-22-2015 | 08:54 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

I seem to recall the Michelin guys saying that flip-up lip is caused by that tread block rolling over - which would be consistent with Matt's conclusion, it seems.

Maybe more camber would help you get the loading closer to the center, less over-work of the outer shoulder?

Regarding PDCC - is that not just different damping? Don't really know the P-car jargon... but if it's only a damping change, it won't affect the steady-state issue like camber would...
Old 11-22-2015 | 09:58 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

SC2s on my 991 GT3 look similar after 2 days. I considered more neg camber but I also drive it on the street so left the factory settings (about -1.5 deg F and R). Despite the wear pattern my first set of SC2s went 10k mi including 5 track days.
Old 11-24-2015 | 10:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

I've gone through numerous sets of those tires on my 991 GT3. Your wear doesn't look too different from mine, but you still have a ways to go on that tire. Try playing with the hot pressure; around 32 or 33 works well on my car.
Old 11-25-2015 | 08:20 AM
TM
Intermediate

Maybe more camber and a little bit less tire pressure could help. Did you experience a lot of understeer?
Old 11-26-2015 | 10:53 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

overheated from pushing through the turns? High pressures ? When you can feel the feathering when you run your hand around the edge of the outer tire = pushing through the turns - over driving. How does your right front inside tire look? scrubbed ?
Old 11-26-2015 | 02:51 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
That looks like it was graining some. Too much sliding.
Could be sliding in T1-2 Big Bend.
Originally Posted by 924RACR
I seem to recall the Michelin guys saying that flip-up lip is caused by that tread block rolling over - which would be consistent with Matt's conclusion, it seems.

Maybe more camber would help you get the loading closer to the center, less over-work of the outer shoulder?

Regarding PDCC - is that not just different damping? Don't really know the P-car jargon... but if it's only a damping change, it won't affect the steady-state issue like camber would...
Dialing in a bit more neg camber than stock settings could probably help, but I'm not sure of the Carrera S's adjustability in that regard compared to, say, the GT3.
PASM is the computer-controlled adaptive damping, but PDCC is the variable anti-roll bar system, where the car adjusts bar stiffness based on straight-line driving vs. cornering, degree of cornering load, etc. If I recall, some have argued that camber adjustment is less critical on the track on PDCC-equipped cars because the system keeps roll in corners to a minimum. That is, until the system freaks out when you're flying through T10 at the Glen because of "excessive g loads" and it kicks the entire car out of Sport Plus mode, feeling like a boat anchor was thrown and upsetting the balance of the car mid-turn. Ask me how I know.
Originally Posted by zedcat
SC2s on my 991 GT3 look similar after 2 days. I considered more neg camber but I also drive it on the street so left the factory settings (about -1.5 deg F and R). Despite the wear pattern my first set of SC2s went 10k mi including 5 track days.
Good to know. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Manifold
I've gone through numerous sets of those tires on my 991 GT3. Your wear doesn't look too different from mine, but you still have a ways to go on that tire. Try playing with the hot pressure; around 32 or 33 works well on my car.
Thanks--been following your posts in orthojoe's epic thread.
Originally Posted by TM
Maybe more camber and a little bit less tire pressure could help. Did you experience a lot of understeer?
Not a lot of understeer, but I am running 255/35-19 tires up front instead of the stock 245/35-20, so that probably helps. Based on going through orthojoe's GT3 thread over the last few days, I probably am running my tire pressures too high. Don't know how I got it into my head, but I've been running 35front/38rear hot. Probably 3psi too high all around. I need to actually use that pyrometer sitting in my track tool bucket. Lowering tire pressures and following the good tips from fellow posters here will probably get me that half second to break into the :59s at LRP.
Originally Posted by Gofishracing
overheated from pushing through the turns? High pressures ? When you can feel the feathering when you run your hand around the edge of the outer tire = pushing through the turns - over driving. How does your right front inside tire look? scrubbed ?
Right front doesn't look bad. Certainly doesn't show this scooping/scalloping of the left front's outer tread blocks. When you say feathering, do you mean the feathered wear front-to back of each outermost tread block? If so, it is indeed feathered--you can see it in the picture if you look closely. Makes the outer tread blocks look like the concrete turtles or gators of a track-out curbing.
So the weird wear pattern is this front-back "feathered" appearance of each outer tread block, combined with the gradual scalloping in of the tread surface from outer to inner edge of the outer tread block section, running circumferentially around the tire, and stopping with a step-up lip or rim of rubber at the inner border of the outer tread blocks.
Old 11-30-2015 | 03:47 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

yes- the feathered wear front-to back of each outermost tread I feel is from pushing thru the turns. Over driving. Any turn you go into that the car pushes you went in too fast is my thoughts. When you are digging in and trying to power through a turn causes that feathering
Old 12-01-2015 | 02:14 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Any turn you go into that the car pushes you went in too fast is my thoughts. When you are digging in and trying to power through a turn causes that feathering
That would be Big Bend at LRP. I've been throwing the car into T1, riding the inside apex curbing and letting it sort itself out between T1 and 2. Now I'm learning that there's a better approach...

Quick Reply: MPSC2 wear pattern