Sponsored by:

Cayman GT4 Clubsport Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
I imagine the folks dropping $200k on these cars want to feel important and be surrounded by fancy transporters and pro teams with matching uniforms, instead of dudes in dirty jeans with 944s and Boxsters waiting for their next time trial session...
Old 12-03-2015, 03:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I imagine the folks dropping $200k on these cars want to feel important and be surrounded by fancy transporters and pro teams with matching uniforms, instead of dudes in dirty jeans with 944s and Boxsters waiting for their next time trial session...

Hope you were grinning when you wrote that, otherwise, what a chicken$#!t thing to say!

The racetrack paddock is one of the most egalitarian places still around. To attempt to polarize based on what kind of car someone drives or races smacks of ignorance. We've seen this before when Cup guys get painted with the same broad brush. Sheesh... smh
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-03-2015, 03:36 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Hope you were grinning when you wrote that, otherwise, what a chicken$#!t thing to say!

The racetrack paddock is one of the most egalitarian places still around. To attempt to polarize based on what kind of car someone drives or races smacks of ignorance. We've seen this before when Cup guys get painted with the same broad brush. Sheesh... smh
Really? Egalitarian?

I think Cory was joking around but his characterization is not completely inaccurate....
Old 12-03-2015, 03:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
Really? Egalitarian?

I think Cory was joking around but his characterization is not completely inaccurate....
Also could be a meritocracy, where good drivers, with sense and courtesy, are looked upon favorably, no matter what car they're driving or what their occupation/politics/social standing...

It's just that I spend 220-plus days a year at the racetrack and recognize that for ALMOST everyone who attends, it's enthusiasm for and joy derived from this sport/hobby that keep them coming back, not some misplaced, narcissistic vanity that requires them to look down their nose at others... It's like Ferrari owner (or Corvettes, or Cup car) bashing, to me.

If someone decides to make this commitment, they should be supported, just as most of them would support other racers and friends. Sheesh...
Old 12-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I guess I hit a nerve I'm joking a bit, but there is still plenty of truth in there and it's silly to deny it.

If you are after the typical club racing experience, why would you pay $15k for an 8 race season? Why spend $1875 on entry fees when the guys next to you in the paddock are paying $450 for the same track time? Why buy an exclusive car with its own special run group? Why race at member only tracks like Thermal that are off limits to clubs?

I don't think I said anything negative about the people racing the cars, I certainly didn't mean for it to be interpreted that way. I'm not bashing anyone. If I bought into this series I would expect it to feel special too. I would want every event to be a big deal, otherwise why bother?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Also could be a meritocracy, where good drivers, with sense and courtesy, are looked upon favorably, no matter what car they're driving or what their occupation/politics/social standing...

It's just that I spend 220-plus days a year at the racetrack and recognize that for ALMOST everyone who attends, it's enthusiasm for and joy derived from this sport/hobby that keep them coming back, not some misplaced, narcissistic vanity that requires them to look down their nose at others... It's like Ferrari owner (or Corvettes, or Cup car) bashing, to me.

If someone decides to make this commitment, they should be supported, just as most of them would support other racers and friends. Sheesh...
I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. I raced a 944 spec and loved it. I race on used tires from JB. I have done the time trail instead of race at two PCA events this year just to save a few hundred bucks. If I had any sense I'd still be in a 944 or kart instead of a 911. If I really had any sense I'd quit racing and spend my weekends mountain biking instead of wrenching on old cars.

All I was trying to say is that the Competent races I've been to feel more like "events" than the average west coast PCA race. For the cost of entry, I think the GT4 Clubsport racers out west would expect (and deserve) "events".
Old 12-03-2015, 04:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Oh, come on, Peter! You know there are all kinds of racers just like there are all kinds of street car owners.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I guess I hit a nerve I'm joking a bit, but there is still plenty of truth in there and it's silly to deny it.

I don't think I said anything negative about the people racing the cars, I certainly didn't mean for it to be interpreted that way. I'm not bashing anyone. If I bought into this series I would expect it to feel special too. I would want every event to be a big deal, otherwise why bother?
Cool...
Old 12-03-2015, 05:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
Oh, come on, Peter! You know there are all kinds of racers just like there are all kinds of street car owners.
Yep, I have learned that!
Old 12-03-2015, 05:34 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

This characterization of racers with expensive cars and race shops is terrible. Thank you pro coach for standing up
Old 12-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Cory M
Drifting

You guys are very sensitive. What is so terrible about expecting to get what you've paid for? I think it would be terrible to spend a bunch of money on this car and series and NOT get something better than the average club race. If you are paying pro prices you should get the pro experience, what's wrong with that? Maybe we should start the Egalitarian Racing League, and just have one big run group and no car classes so we're all equal, everyone gets a trophy.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Maybe we should start the Egalitarian Racing League, and just have one big run group and no car classes so we're all equal, everyone gets a trophy.
No, not what I meant. What I meant was not to slime people just because they have a cool, new, powerful car or can afford a shop and a crew to look after them.

We're all equal in the fun we make out of burning up money, whatever we can afford, I hope.

AFA the trophy goes, I'd rather see fewer classes and fewer trophies. Hah!

Lastly, the greatest variable IS the LOOSE NUT BEHIND THE WHEEL, and for that reason, we'll NEVER be equal!
Old 12-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

It's the Corvette drivers you have to be wary of
Old 12-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Cory M
Drifting

I propose and egalitarian meritocracy where we can look down our noses at those with less while simultaneously sliming those with more. I'm so confused...
Old 12-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Some of us just want to drive the car without having to jump through all the hoops.

+100

Quick Reply: Cayman GT4 Clubsport Unveiled