Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Questions: Large head, and electronics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:30 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Questions: Large head, and electronics.

I have a big head. Nope bigger. I have a really big head. My friends throw small objects at me to see if they will go into orbit, or experience a pronounced slingshot effect. It's okay therapy is free in Canada. ;-)

Anyhow, the last time I bought a helmet, Bell was the only company that made a helmet big enough to fit my head without pain.

1) Does anybody else have an extra large head and have experience with other manufactures?

With respect to electronics. I love the integrated ear cup design of the Stilo helmets.

2) Has anybody modified their helmet to use a similar set-up to the Stilo's?? If so, please tell me about your experience, or point me to a resource to help. I would greatly appreciate it.

Any and all comments/suggestion are appreciated... but please keep the jokes about my extra large head to a minimum. Actually, you know what? Surprise me, I think I have heard them all!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

We had an active Rennlister named Dennis who went by the nickname, wait for it, Big Head Dennis. Very cool guy.
If you want me to pose this question to him and put you in touch I'd be glad to. PM me your email if you wish.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

I wear a Bell 2XL I am looking too. Not a whole lot of choices in that size. Looking at the Black Armor Helmets which are supposed to fit like the Bell. Available with electronics and drink, but not sure it's integrated like the Stilo. There's also a recent thread about a new Roux helmet coming out that looks intriguing, with integrated electronics, drink and water cooling tubing. Not sure of sizes available.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,445 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I'm proud to admit that I have a large head! I have a Stilo and it fits me fine. I did have to work the foam padding in a little by my forehead when I first got it but now it fits just fine.

Best thing to do is go to a helmet retailer and try on a few. I wouldn't believe the whole "Bell is for round heads and Stilo is for oblong heads" because I have one of each (helmets, not heads.)
Old 11-12-2015, 09:59 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I've got an xl stilo helmet and it's great. The integrated electronics work really well but the noise cancelling ear muffs take a bit of getting use to. Definitely check them out if you're looking for a new helmet.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:26 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Helmet sizes

Stilo is offering some models up to 3xl (64 cm) size in composite and carbon.

A new helmet line called Roux (pronounced rooks) is coming soon and their helmets will go up to 2XL. All of the roux models will feature electronics, hydration and helmet removal system.

Definitely try to visit a shop that has helmets in stock. I had a Bell customer years back that used a 3xl and he was pleasantly surprised that an arai xl fit him great. Not knocking Bell, just brands fit different shaped heads better than others

Feel free to call Linda with fitment questions.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stand21: Custom. They will make to size.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:17 PM
PPo
Drifting

Thanks guys... I appreciate all the responses. Living in Toronto, it's difficult to find a vendor that has the Stilo sizes on the shelf to try on. I drive my family to Tampa from Toronto every year, I may drop by Murrells Inlet, SC to try a few on! ;-) I have a list of safety equipment to pick up, so it may be worthwhile.

I must admit that I thought Stilo only made up to 61cm until seeing the responses here... thank you for the feedback. I will measure my head tonight and see if the Stilo will work. The different size cheek pads and crown pads are an attractive feature.

I will research the Roux and wait until they come out. Looks promising. But being almost bilingual, I reserve the right to use the French pronunciation!!!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:18 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tim Webb
Stand21: Custom. They will make to size.
Thanks Tim... I will look into this option.

I am happy with my old Bell... but the integrated electronics etc. of the Roux and Stilo make soooo much sense.

All of you have been helpful! Thank you!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:22 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Stilo new sizes

Stilo is introducing extended sizes for sa15 models. Their size chart doesn't reflect the extended sizes though

Definitely stop in to see us on your way to Tampa. Just check our track schedule to make sure we are in the office or give us a call.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:51 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

Bell generally makes helmets up to size 62 which is perfect for me, but even that might be a tight fit for others.

My challenge is finding a helmet with a clear and comfortable communication system so I can hear and speak to my instructor. Any ideas?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:20 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Helmet communications

Originally Posted by DES GTS
Bell generally makes helmets up to size 62 which is perfect for me, but even that might be a tight fit for others.

My challenge is finding a helmet with a clear and comfortable communication system so I can hear and speak to my instructor. Any ideas?
We've had great success with Stilo. One of our customers wears hearing aids in both ears. He struggled using his chatterbox as an instructor. Once he switched to stilo, it fixed his hearing issues. Stilo has a Peltor radio system

The new Roux line coming out in december features speedcom electronics. Speedcom was the choice radio communications for IMSA.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:19 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
Stilo is introducing extended sizes for sa15 models. Their size chart doesn't reflect the extended sizes though

Definitely stop in to see us on your way to Tampa. Just check our track schedule to make sure we are in the office or give us a call.
I may make it in December, and I will give you a call well before I drop in... It's kinda out of the way, but the family doesn't need to know... right? Besides, maybe we will hangout in SC a bit...
Old 11-24-2015, 10:02 PM
AlD
Intermediate

I also have a large cranium, along with the jaw.

Top of my head fits XL (Sparco, Arai), it's the cheeks that sometimes are tight.

I needed an 8860 spec helmet, the time choices were limited; Bell, Schuberth, Arai and Stilo. I went with a custom-fitted Schuberth, which is probably the best overall helmet in the world. It was pricey, but then again, $5 helmet? $5 head...

We essentially used the XL model with customized comfort and cheek/neck padding, holds all the radio, drinks, eject no issues.

I'm looking at a replacement now, going to look at the new Stilo 8860 helmets as they are now in bigger sizes (internally) with smaller external shell sizes, and you can get them with/without the "storm trooper" side structures.

My lessons learned (and now applied)

1) buy the best helmet rating you can find. 8860 are hugely expensive, but it's your head....(I wince when people say "I'm just driving my road car and never get above 130, I don't need an expensive helmet". 130 in a street car, you want the BEST helmet, while in a race car/cage/HANS/HALO seat, you have a lot more than just a helmet to protect you.
2) optimize the fit first without the cheek/neck pieces first, and have those custom fitted. Most of the good makers provide them in multiple sizes, though not all dealers keep a full stock and/or know how to fit.
3) the "muffs" are personal choice. I have to use ear buds, the muffs for me are annoying.
4) make sure the helmet fits you AND your car. I have a pal with a big Stilo, it's big enough it interferes with his seat and roll cage (so, when you try it on, actually try it on IN the car if you can)
5) electronics, et al are just as good added later; while cool that some are "integrated", if you use the helmet a lot, they are all wear items
6) work with a specialty dealer who will work with you, even if you end up spending $200 to ship helmets and pad sets back and forth until you know it works. (most are happy to help)
Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 151 Posts

Bell also has some electronics options coming. They haven't launched them yet so I can't say much at this time.

Quick Reply: Helmet Questions: Large head, and electronics.