Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing windshield with Lexan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Replacing windshield with Lexan?

Any issues with using Lexan for replacing a windshield on a track only car?

Ive been in a car with a Lexan windshield, where the windshield actually moved or flapped at speed. However I was told by another that there are different thicknesses available; that ¼” will flap, but 3/8” will not.

I was also told that the Lexan is easily scratched, and that you cannot use windshield wipers because they will scratch it up. Any truth to this? If so, does a product like Rain-X work well enough that wipers are unnecessary while racing in the rain?
Old 09-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use Lexan for rear side windows and rear. for most of the track cars and have been dealing with the plexiglas side windows of the cup cars. I hate them! The tracks here in California are dirty, and all those granules of dirt and sand pit or scratch these windows easily. You can't use window wipes or paper towels . Micro fiber towels and polishing cloths are OK, but try scrubbing off squashed bugs or tire debris. You can be very, very careful, but it only takes one time when someone "helps" you out or you are in a hurry and grab the wrong towel and the window is damaged. Try running a night endurance race with scratched lexan!

I understand the weight issue, but fitting, attaching and replacing every 6 months can also be an issue.

Laura
Hergesheimer MotorSports
Old 09-24-2003, 08:02 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks, thats the input I was looking for.

I keep getting my glass windshield cracked. Current one has 3 large cracks from my last club race. Thought lexan might be a more durable replacement, but heard some bad things and your reply also echos the problems with that option.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:16 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Lexan Winshield Issue

Has anyone used the "Heat Treated" lexan windshields? I've been told their more scratch resistant than normal lexan. I'm about to replace my windshield and may reconsider based on comments about lexan not being durable.

Quick Reply: Replacing windshield with Lexan?