Sponsored by:

Making sense of enclosed trailers

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by asamhall
I have been looking as well at enclosed trailers as well, in the 20-24' range. I really like the Intech trailers and saw that last month they launched a new lite series line of 20', 24' and 28'. They limited the number of options you can pick and they seem to be of great value option.

My question is related to tow vehicle. I am moving from a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, max tow 6800lbs to a 2016 Ram 1500 Diesel max tow of 8400lbs. I am wondering if it is a wise idea to look at 24' trailers. Ideally I would get a 20'/22' alum with 5K axles.
Go with the 24', you can never have enough room and your Ram diesel will tow it like it isn't even there...
Old 12-03-2015, 11:47 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I have been looking as well at enclosed trailers as well, in the 20-24' range. I really like the Intech trailers and saw that last month they launched a new lite series line of 20', 24' and 28'. They limited the number of options you can pick and they seem to be of great value option.

My question is related to tow vehicle. I am moving from a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, max tow 6800lbs to a 2016 Ram 1500 Diesel max tow of 8400lbs. I am wondering if it is a wise idea to look at 24' trailers. Ideally I would get a 20'/22' alum with 5K axles.
Originally Posted by Gary R.
Go with the 24', you can never have enough room and your Ram diesel will tow it like it isn't even there...
I agree with getting a 24' trailer. Leaves room for all the stuff you think you'll never get, like spare parts, tool boxes, moped or pit bike, etc. There's a reason not many 22' used trailers out there, and the few that exist have high turnover as people realize they need more room. If you're sure you'll never get any of this stuff, stick with the 20'.

Your car/trailer will likely weigh 7000# or more. when you're done, including extra wheels, etc.

The diesel will probably tow that without problem, but is the transmission on that 1500 up to snuff? I'm not so sure. I tow a 24' ATC with an F150 Ecoboost, it tows well, but the transmission needs work after 75K miles. Thank goodness I bought my first ever extended warranty.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:24 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
I agree with getting a 24' trailer. Leaves room for all the stuff you think you'll never get, like spare parts, tool boxes, moped or pit bike, etc. There's a reason not many 22' used trailers out there, and the few that exist have high turnover as people realize they need more room. If you're sure you'll never get any of this stuff, stick with the 20'.

Your car/trailer will likely weigh 7000# or more. when you're done, including extra wheels, etc.

The diesel will probably tow that without problem, but is the transmission on that 1500 up to snuff? I'm not so sure. I tow a 24' ATC with an F150 Ecoboost, it tows well, but the transmission needs work after 75K miles. Thank goodness I bought my first ever extended warranty.
I was towing with an Infiniti QX56 and have blown up two transmissions. Buying some sort of diesel rig in the spring. When you tow at the limit of your vehicle's capacity bad things happen.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:24 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a heavily optioned 24ft InTech. Including my 2650lb car, spare tires, tools, etc my towed weight (from scales) is 7850lbs. Most importantly for your analysis, my tongue weight is very close to 1000lbs. Check two things on the Ram (or any vehicle you consider). Payload and tongue weight ratings, they are generally more limiting in your calculations than the overall "tow rating". Plan on your enclosed trailer tongue weight roughly 10-12% of the trailer overall weight.

My max tow F150 ecoboost tows the above load well. However, I have towed the above trailer close to 10k lbs, and frankly at that weight I would have rather had a super duty truck. There was plenty of engine, but the trailer was more in charge than I would have wanted.

I have not had trans issues, and my truck has 85k miles, more than 12k are from towing.

Like others, I would highly recommend a 24 ft vs the 22 or 20ft trailer. And I would very highly recommend the InTech.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Burkey
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Pulled a trailex with a diesel Cherokee for the last 4 years, absolutely no issues, got a great deal on a 24 ft Motiv. Was having the debate with myself about what tow vehicle to buy, had to take the car to the shop, took the new trailer was about a 30 minute drive. Was probably the scariest drive I have ever had, including instructing went out and ordered a new F250 diesel. A lot of vehicles pull easy, it is about braking and sway control in my mind.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:32 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
Looking to make the move to an enclosed trailer next year, something 22-24' long - but could use some help making sense of the market. While an aluminum setup would be awesome, the budget simply won't allow it.

Seems like there are tons of brands that occupy the space between $4k brand-new plywood boxes to fully built $14k options. What's the sweet spot? Any brands to avoid - there are tons I've never heard of, all seemingly in GA or MI?
So if you win the big Lottery tomorrow that will mean money is not an issue than the place to buy that new 53' rig is here http://www.goldrushinc.com/

I've got one of their small ones ( 28' ) and it has been great for 22 years.
If you're picking options go with the heavier axles/brakes and tire/wheel. That's one area that I've seen more people have problems with towing. A lot of tires blowing out because they were over loaded. If getting options lay everything out on paper so you can see what it will look like. Take your time and do it right and in the end you'll be glad you did.

Bill
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 01-08-2016, 08:49 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Burkey
A lot of vehicles pull easy, it is about braking and sway control in my mind.
Thank you thank you thank
It's not what you can pull its what you can stop
Old 01-08-2016, 09:04 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

How well do Cayenne diesels hold up towing a large 24" trailer as per the discussion? Rated capacity is 7700lbs. Any issues with the transmission?
Old 01-09-2016, 06:44 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Making sense of enclosed trailers

No way I'd pull a 24 with a cayenne. Wheelbase matters in the tow vehicle.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
How well do Cayenne diesels hold up towing a large 24" trailer as per the discussion? Rated capacity is 7700lbs. Any issues with the transmission?
Anything bigger than a fully loaded enclosed Trailex is not safe with a Cayenne. The biggest issue that will limit your towing with it will be you max tongue weight. Been there, done that.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:51 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Anything bigger than a fully loaded enclosed Trailex is not safe with a Cayenne. The biggest issue that will limit your towing with it will be you max tongue weight. Been there, done that.
Agree 1000%.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:51 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but thought the answers would be best here tied to all this great info.

Length - so resoundingly, it has been said here, go with a 24' even if you think 20' is good for your need. Question - are we talking 24' length inside the trailer or hitch to taillights?

height - I see many like ATC and haulmark, which are about 7'+ inside. also many like intek which seem to be about 5'5" inside. is interior height a driving factor? does the inside need to be 7' tall for a reason or is that only if you plan on having a workshop inside? seems like the short trailer would give you much less drag and be easier to tow.

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited by cre8fun; 10-11-2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-01-2016, 11:44 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by cre8fun
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but thought the answers would be best here tied to all this great info.

Length - so resoundingly, it has been said here, go with a 24' even if you think 20' is good for your need. Question - are we talking 24' length inside the trailer or hitch to taillights?

height - I see many like ATC and Intech, which are about 7'+ inside. also many like intek which seem to be about 5'5" inside. is interior height a driving factor? does the inside need to be 7' tall for a reason or is that only if you plan on having a workshop inside? seems like the short trailer would give you much less drag and be easier to tow.

thanks in advance for your thoughts.
27 foot minimum length - otherwise cabinets become difficult and you will want them.

You also want to be able to stand in the trailer so 7 foot is key.

These are the minimums unless you are just buying an enclosed transport which serves no other purpose other than to cover your car.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:58 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so in the thread, people are saying " I think 20' would be good" and the overwhelming response is "go with 24'". so are we talking hitch to taillights or 24' flat floor length inside trailer?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:33 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

24 on the floor.

Quick Reply: Making sense of enclosed trailers