Making sense of enclosed trailers

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 07:34 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Montrose Trailers

I suggest these guys...http://www.montrosetrailers.com/gallery/automobile

Small operation and you may have to wait for inventory, especially if you custom build? However, they're about the best bang for your buck and won't charge you STUPID money like Trailex or Featherlite.

I went through your due diligence several times for trailers (car haulers, snowmobile haulers, atv haulers), all at different times for different seasons of life. I guess capitalism still exists in trailer worlds too? Only, I never understood how company's felt they could charge STUPID money for a few heavy load axles, tires and some aluminum?? C'mon, we're not talking 918 Spider technology here??

Montrose Trailer's is run by one guy and his father. They bang it out, one trailer at a time and still charge the old fashion way, just trying to make a living.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:12 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
If you have a lightweight tow vehicle, go aluminum. But if you have a heavy duty truck it's really not necessary. We've had several trailers, both steel and aluminum. The aluminum trailers are lighter and since it's a premium product the fit and finish is usually nicer, but it comes at 3-4x the cost. I love seeing these spotless pimped out trailers, but you don't race your trailer and you don't need to spend tens of thousands of dollars on it if you don't want to. Don't lose sight of the fact that it's basically just a box to hold your car and gear...
This.

Yeah, aluminum is nice, and if it is going to be an open trailer, the weight savings is meaningful. But when you go to an enclosed trailer and start loading it with stuff, the weight savings of aluminum becomes less on a percentage basis. Personally I'd rather spend some of the money you save by going with a steel trailer on stuff like a generator, a/c, winch, cabinets, shelves, ...

Oh and 24' is a minimum in my opinion. Anything less will leave you wanting more and/or cramming stuff into your trailer.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:40 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
spend the extra money and get an aluminum trailer. Trailex, tall ceiling.
Everything else are just heavy tanks and end up being resold.
I prefer and recommend aluminum as well.
But surely you don't mean Trailex is the only option for a trailer. There are lots of good aluminum trailers other than Trailex.
Trailex is great if you need ultralight but otherwise there are alternatives in aluminum.
Perhaps your reference to tanks is for steel trailers?
Old 10-13-2015, 09:28 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Like everything else, the options in enclosed trailers have trade-offs. Cost, weight, space, ease of loading, construction quality, resale value, ... There is no only choice unless you have narrowed down exactly what you want/need to a very narrow range. And that range could change over time. Enclosed trailers present the possibility of a significant change in how you prepare for, travel to, and set up at the track. Once you operate out of an enclosed you will see that more clearly. I would advise that you walk around the paddock and look at people's trailers. Ask them what they like and don't like about the choices they have made. Then process this information and try to figure out what matters to you.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:49 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
If you have a lightweight tow vehicle, go aluminum. But if you have a heavy duty truck it's really not necessary.
+1
Old 10-13-2015, 11:22 AM
Redd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bigger is always nice, but.......
I have a Pace Shadow GT 28'
Here's my experience:
- Great build quality.
- Helps to rust proof the underside. . After 8 years, frame is still like new
- You'll always fill it up to capacity....you'll occupy the available space. You probably don't need to bring the garage with you.
- You'll have longer overhang in the rear with a longer trailer. That means you may bottom out when driving over uneven roads, or backing up in an inclined driveway.
- Less maneuverable. You'll need more room to turn. A 28 footer is 32 feet long with the tongue, plus the truck..... It sometimes feels like you're driving a semi. You'll have fewer options when parking it somewhere.
- Longer is heavier. I don't have an issue with my 3/4 ton pickup, but if it's a 1/2 ton......
- If it's longer, it may fall into the "Heavy Vehicle" category. Over a certain load rating some states/provinces will require you have a yearly inspection done to legally put your trailer on the road, even if it's for personal use.
- In the winter time, put it up on jacks to unload the torsion axles and tires. Even if a ton of snow builds up it doesn't load up the suspension.
- In winter, don't forget your emergency brake battery. Keep it on trickle inside otherwise it will die outside in the cold at -30F.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:15 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

What a timely thread. I'm planning on going enclosed next year too. I'm really only considering aluminum at this point, but my real question is...

What do you do with your open trailer? Do you keep it around to make it easier to transport your car to the shop? Some of the places I go are pretty tight with an open trailer. I can't imagine doing it with an enclosed. But maybe it's not that big of an issue once you get used to it.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:20 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Just a thought but if you want A/C and heat it really helps to have an insulated trailer. Most if not all or the aluminums I have seen are not.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:21 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
What do you do with your open trailer? Do you keep it around to make it easier to transport your car to the shop?
If you have the room and finances to do so, I highly recommend keeping it. It's a pain in the butt to take the 24' trailer to the shop. If there was more room and I could leave it there while the car's in the shop, it might be better, but there's not much room at my shop. Also would be great for a one day outing to the local track. I miss my open trailer for these occasions.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:34 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,440 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Bigger is always nice, but.......
I have a Pace Shadow GT 28'
Here's my experience:
- Great build quality.
- Helps to rust proof the underside. . After 8 years, frame is still like new
- You'll always fill it up to capacity....you'll occupy the available space. You probably don't need to bring the garage with you.
- You'll have longer overhang in the rear with a longer trailer. That means you may bottom out when driving over uneven roads, or backing up in an inclined driveway.
- Less maneuverable. You'll need more room to turn. A 28 footer is 32 feet long with the tongue, plus the truck..... It sometimes feels like you're driving a semi. You'll have fewer options when parking it somewhere.
- Longer is heavier. I don't have an issue with my 3/4 ton pickup, but if it's a 1/2 ton......
- If it's longer, it may fall into the "Heavy Vehicle" category. Over a certain load rating some states/provinces will require you have a yearly inspection done to legally put your trailer on the road, even if it's for personal use.
- In the winter time, put it up on jacks to unload the torsion axles and tires. Even if a ton of snow builds up it doesn't load up the suspension.
- In winter, don't forget your emergency brake battery. Keep it on trickle inside otherwise it will die outside in the cold at -30F.
This is the same trailer I have and all this advice is very good.

As for aluminum versus trailer - well if you can afford it buy the best that you can. But a steel trailer with a good tow vehicle (or a good load leveling hitch) is not a bad thing either.

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
What a timely thread. I'm planning on going enclosed next year too. I'm really only considering aluminum at this point, but my real question is...

What do you do with your open trailer? Do you keep it around to make it easier to transport your car to the shop? Some of the places I go are pretty tight with an open trailer. I can't imagine doing it with an enclosed. But maybe it's not that big of an issue once you get used to it.
Open trailer is nice because it is easier to drive with and backup. The downside is that it is open!

Enclosed trailers make you think about a lot of your driving decisions. You only go into certain gas stations and restaurants with an enclosed trailer. If you need to park at a hotel you want to look at Google earth and also call up the hotel. The planning it takes is well worth the payoff of having an enclosed trailer.

Don't forget that an enclosed trailer = an extra garage bay for storage.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 199 Posts

$4,999 East Knox V nose for sale 20 ft plus V enclosed winch

Last edited by Chaos; 10-14-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:29 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I prefer and recommend aluminum as well.
But surely you don't mean Trailex is the only option for a trailer. There are lots of good aluminum trailers other than Trailex.
Trailex is great if you need ultralight but otherwise there are alternatives in aluminum.
Perhaps your reference to tanks is for steel trailers?
yes, my reference was to steel trailers.

There are other nice aluminum trailers out there besides Trailex.

I use my trailex for everything.
Here is a nice pic of me over loading my trailex 8045
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:18 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Just a thought but if you want A/C and heat it really helps to have an insulated trailer. Most if not all or the aluminums I have seen are not.
This is one of the reasons I went with a custom ordered Intech all aluminum trailer. I got to pick the exact options and layout that I wanted, including adding insulation, exact locations for tire racks, loooong ramp extension so that I can actually put my GT3 into the trailer without scraping the front, in floor wireless remote winch, etc. My trailer is my home away from home on track weekends and it's a nice place to hang out.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:29 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

8 or 9 year old alum ATC and no cracks that I know of. ATC makes a great trailer in both all alum and alum/steel.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:44 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

I sold my open Trailex last year in order to buy an enclosed,i picked up a fully dressed 20ft aluminum 2011 Proline for 10K and i would never go back to an open trailer again ...
Best thing is to find a trailer that has already had all the useful options added by the previous owner !

The good ones go fast so you have to be ready to pull the trigger !

Cheers
Phil

Quick Reply: Making sense of enclosed trailers