Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting into DE & Track days..

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Imola74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does HANS contradict with airbags at the track?

Last edited by Imola74; 10-09-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:19 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't imagine how it would?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:24 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 162 Posts

In a Golf R? How are you running harnesses so that you can utilize a HANS?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:37 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take things one step at a time, get a full face helmet and go on track. If you get the bug then look into hans/harness/seats/etc.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Imola74
Advanced

Safety precaution..why else? Hitting armco at over 100mph is more likely to happen at a circuit than the highway, hence the desire to use HANS. I can't imagine this chap was using a HANS device http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story...-killed-080515

Im the kind of guy who thinks ahead. I can't just go to something and 'wing it.'
Old 10-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Imola74
Advanced

I see this is what is used with 3 point seatbelt arrangements. I know this seems to be overkill and I may seem paranoid, but you just never know !

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sa...l-10/overview/
Old 10-10-2015, 06:49 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

It's your money, but I wouldn't go crazy before the first event buying all sorts of safety equipment. What happens if you go out there and hate it? Even though it's only been used once, you'll never get your money back. You will be in the beginner group with an instructor. You will be overwhelmed. You will want to drive your car home at the end of the event. Even though you want to go fast, your survival instinct and your instructors reins should keep you from going anywhere near the limits of your car, so it really won't be that much crazier than driving very aggressively on the highway. True, depending on the track, weather, etc something could happen, but you could also be run over by a school bus full of nuns while doing cartwheels in your driveway. Go out and have fun, listen to your instructor, don't drive like an a**hat, learn the lines, the braking zones, etc. The speed will come. Some of it by the end of the weekend, the rest over the course of the next 10 + years. If you like it and are starting to drive faster, then it will be time to look at additional safety equipment. Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts

Echoing a lot of what was said here - but this really is like describing sex to a virgin.

No point in overanalysing this. Trust, and then thank us later.

The Golf is more than fine, for more than a few events, on street tires with a brake fluid flush of ATE.

The stock belts with the airbags (probably a bunch of them) are designed to work together and would do what they're supposed to do if called upon, but sadly that is far more probable driving to the office on any given day.

And as you are just getting started, no way you're going to be off into any armco at 100mph.

All the ideas offered above are from experienced folks, and reality is, until you get into a routine of doing these events you have no context as to what the right car is for you, nor the appropriate level of safety equipment - installed properly and working as a system.

Are you going to do 2 DE events a year? 5? 25? You won't know what's even a plausible path forward until you've done a half dozen.

Have fun - this is so exciting, but takes a mature perspective to leave the horse before the cart where he belongs.

Good luck!

Cheers

Matt
Old 10-10-2015, 07:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,698 Posts

^^What linzman and Matt Lane have said.^^

The most marvelous thing about this hobby/sport/undertaking you are about to participate in is that YOU are in control of your destiny. It is up to you the amount of risk and potential for "100 mph into the Armco" that you expose yourself to.

There are a few curmudgeons and unfortunates here that will tell you that you need to "gear up" for the "inevitable" hit, but after doing this for many years (and driving mostly other people's cars) without ANY incidents (in a DE setting), you should buy a nice helmet (because you WILL want to do it again) and make sure your car is prepared as well as it can be and just DO it.

This is an incremental sport. As long as you approach it with a level, reasoned approach, adding speed only after demonstrating competence and understanding at a graduated pace, you'll be fine.

No bolt of lightning will come out of the sky and put in the wall. If you're careful, disciplined and committed to learning from the resources you have available to you, you have nothing to worry about.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-10-2015, 09:09 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got to the point where about seven or eight years into doing track days my wife got me a Hans device. I forgot it one time, felt absolutely naked without it. It is weird what your head can do separate from your body, and that kinda gives me the *******
Old 10-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

******describing sex to a virgin*********

No point in overanalysing this.

*******Trust, and then thank us later. ****

** a brake fluid flush of ATE. **

*** Are you going to do 2 DE events a year? 5? 25? You won't know what's even a plausible path forward until you've done a half dozen. ***

Matt
Very well said here ^^^^^
I've learned the hard way that Rennlisters wisdom and advice is gold.
Humility and frustration become familiar friends at the track.
Anyone who tells you otherwise is just boasting.

ProCoach will say his "2cents" but I'll tell you that his, VRs, TXE36 and others' words are worth more like 2k. Literally. (Again, speaking from experience.)

There is nothing as sweet as an aircooled 911 in original condition. Years down the road many have said they wished they had theirs back.

4. Just do it: sign up for your first event! Then report back.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:24 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Well, I weighed in earlier, but I feel compelled to do so again.

Did a lapping day at Mosport Friday--weather was lousy. Cold, wind and rain, but being out on track with a bunch of really cool cars made it worth the price of admission (as it always does).....and with the Mini being made for these conditions (fwd, low power, good street tires) it made it all the more fun and rewarding. Ended up with 3 hours of track time....now I'm getting ready for next weekend at Mid-Ohio--that's my last event of the year and I'm NOT looking forward to that at all!

Moral: Your car as-is is similar to mine (except for the low-power part) and, as such, is tailor-made for you to learn in all conditions. So, change the brake fluid, get a helmet, and GET OUT THERE! You'll find out afterwards that (like me--35 track days this year) you'll either want to sell your soul for the next track day, or....not. Only one way to find out......

Kirk out.....

Last edited by gbuff; 10-11-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

And if you are depressed, just think of it as alternative psychiatric therapy. :-)
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2015, 03:33 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
And if you are depressed, just think of it as alternative psychiatric therapy. :-)
Definitely something to that, Mark.....anything I have on my mind gets put on hold. Even my old-man aches and pains feel better (until afterwards)

Gary
Old 10-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Next steps

Appreciate all the great info the coaches and others have given here. I have a similar question to Imola. I have done about 10 DE days and am hopelessly addicted to driving fast on track. I was wondering what would be a good next step. I am driving a 2011 spyder and love it. It seems that options for club racing are thus: 1) buy a race prepped car, 2). Convert/build one myself. Am I way too early to be thinking of club racing?
If not, Sounds as if buying a car already prepped is for me. While I love working on cars, I don't have the tools, time, or knowledge to do it right. People talk of the costs of running a cup car. This I am sure will get people chuckling, but what exactly is the difference between a cup and a race prepped car? Disposables should be about the same, I hear of engine rebuilds and transmissions being expensive, but again, wouldn't you have to do that in a non cup car as well? Do you have to get rebuild and maintenance done by porsche if you own an old cup, or can you have it done elsewhere? I know I am missing something real basic here. Be gentle!!!

Quick Reply: Getting into DE & Track days..