Sponsored by:

Vertex Radios

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:00 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Vertex Radios

I am looking for a Spotter-to-car radio system for my race car. A few local people have recommended buying from Sampson Racing Communications (SRC). SRC sells Vertex mobile units and handheld radios.

Can anyone here comment on the quality, durability, and function of the Vertex products. Normally, I would consider Motorola branded products only but I figured it couldn't hurt to explore the Vertex option.

Also, what about digital versus analog? It seems digital is the future but I don't know if it is worth the cost difference or not.

Finally, I am run on tracks that have hills that block line of site so I figured I might be better off getting a 20 watt (or more) mobile unit for the car instead of a handheld radio. Thoughts on that?

Thanks!!
Old 09-29-2015, 12:30 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

Not sure about the newer Vertex pieces.

I have a set of older Vertex radios that were given to me by the #24 driver. You are welcome to try them. You are also welcome to try my motorolas, which were bought on e-bay for about $75 each. Sampson programmed them onto the same frequency for not much money, and I bought my car harness, antenna, PTT and helmet kit from Sampson, as many do.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:31 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not much of a test but I just got a set of their digitals. I was up at Road Atlanta this weekend & had the handhelds with me. As a test I gave one to a friend sitting in his trailer (raining) in the paddock while I drove my street car to turn 7 (as far as you can get from the paddock). The reception was perfectly clear. I was told the reception will be even better when installed in the race car with the shark fin antenna.

Last edited by chrisc; 09-29-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:05 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vertex is owned by Motorola.

Cheap alternative are some Baofeng units from Amazon. At $26 for radio, charger etc, they are almost throw away. I've used them a few times and they do great.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:24 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was the only team member with a Vertex radio as my teammates all had Motorola. I had purchased mine through Sampson, they were great to deal with and all promises always met and honored. I would not hesitate to buy from them again!
Old 09-30-2015, 10:02 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a set of 3 Vertex radios purchased from Sampson. +1 on the great service.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:11 PM
winders
Race Car

I purchased the "Digital Racer's Package" with Vertex radios from Sampson Racing Communications and added the Shark Fin antennae. I decided to get a handheld unit for the car so I can use the radios for more than just racing. Shawn was great to deal with. I will have the radio setup installed for the last race of the season at Sears Point. I will report back on how well they work.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 11-03-2015, 05:39 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My New Vertex digital radios worked perfectly at Road Atlanta and Daytona. Really hold the charge too. Very pleased.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:22 PM
winders
Race Car

Thanks for the kick in the butt, Chris. I should have reported back sooner.

I used the "Digital Racer's Package" with Vertex digital radios from Sampson Racing Communications at Sears Point two weekends ago and I was quite pleased with the results. My crew chief (my wife) and I were able to communicate clearly all weekend long. Reception for both of us was great no matter where I was on the track or where she was around the track. It was great having her in my ear during the race telling me what I needed to know.

Shawn Sampson was great to deal with and quite patient with me. The standard kit could not handle the thickness of my car's roof where I wanted to mount it. Shawn was able to get the parts I needed to me in time to get the install done for the race weekend.

I wholeheartedly recommend Sampson Racing Communications, Shawn Sampson, and Vertex digital radios!
Old 11-04-2015, 08:56 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We just installed the sampson digital vertex in our endurance car. 20watt unit in the car, handheld for the pits. The digital is so freaky it is like the guy is standing right next to you with ZERO static. We tested on the far end of the tracks where other radios have failed us, and it was crystal clear. Not cheap, but worth every penny.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:32 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott, Good to know. With the older Motorola units (Race Radios "gold" package from about 8 years ago), they don't have the power for clear communication between the Garage area and turn 4 through turn 6. At Thunderhill it's gives poor quality from T7 to T10 (when the hill is in the way).

Quick Reply: Vertex Radios