Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Learn as a Solo DE student?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:00 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

I guess what I was trying to say is that I use no specific landmarks but instead use all that is in my view to establish sight pictures. Since I look for no specific landmarks, I don't need to see a specific landmark in order to act at the appropriate time. So, if a specific landmark is obscured, I can function properly without it.

As far as driving off line is concerned, you need to practice that regardless of what method you use to determine when to do things such as brake or turn in. Knowing 100 landmarks does you no good if you are off line and have never been on that line before. Those landmarks are now "out of visual context" and may or may not tell you what you need to know.

I do use landmarks when I am experimenting. For example, when I was trying to figure out how late a could brake into turn 1 at Thunderhill, I used a couple of white poles just off the track on the right as references. Once I figured out how late I could brake, I stopped looking for those white poles. They are still there...I think.....but they are now part of an overall site picture. Someone could take them out by going off track and I would be fine. If someone used the poles as there only reference, they would be a little lost if they were suddenly not there.

In races, I might be anywhere on the track and and individual landmarks I might use for the ideal line are pretty much useless. Plus, even if the landmarks weren't useless, am I going to have time to look for them in the heat of battle? Probably not. Again, the subconscious "site picture" along with having practiced non-standard lines is much more useful here. It allows me to race and not worry about landmarks.

So, Peter, are we saying the same thing differently or are we in totally different zip codes?

Last edited by winders; 09-22-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:01 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Instructor days are a great opportunity for Coaches to ride with each other. I think there should be more opportunities as such. I usually seek out a co ride at events with fellow Instructors. There is much to be learned from the right seat.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:24 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Go to a professional school at least once; Bondurant, Barber, or other

Quick Reply: How to Learn as a Solo DE student?